Events & Gatherings Meet with other hybrid enthusiasts from across the country [and world?].

Interested in a Detroit area get together?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 05:52 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Interested in a Detroit area get together?

Originally Posted by John M. Dwyer
We are still trying to get a critical mass. I suspect that the thing to do is to select a meeting place for a regular get-together. Those who are free at the time each week could show up. If only one or two make it, that would say something. If more, this might make up the core we need for something bigger and more profound.

I do suggest that the metro Detroit area is appropriate for an active club of this sort. Perhaps we would not want to restrict it to FEH owners.
Yes, no doubt. Do not limit your club to Ford owners. I think a Hybrid club would be much more effective. Then all 3 of the manufacturers could lobby the club for marketing, design, etc.

Furthermore, I think a club like this should not be limited to Hybrids, but rather more forward thinking... Alternative Fuel Vehicles...

-jay
life long South Eastern Michigander

Old 09-24-2008, 07:42 PM
Green Missionary

Originally Posted by jayw_TCH
Yes, no doubt. Do not limit your club to Ford owners. I think a Hybrid club would be much more effective. Then all 3 of the manufacturers could lobby the club for marketing, design, etc.

Furthermore, I think a club like this should not be limited to Hybrids, but rather more forward thinking... Alternative Fuel Vehicles...

-jay
life long South Eastern Michigander
Thanks, jay. It was ddderek who revived this thread and specified FEH. I think the posting refered to the "Escape Hybrid Experience" at Ford in 2005 - something perhaps some of us would like to rekindle.

I would be happy to go with an FEH club if we can find sufficient interest. But I also think that a SEMI (SouthEast MIchigan) club of auto owners who think outside the box is good. Honda hybrids look down at Toyotas focus on city effeciency, Toyota owners sneer at the copycat FEH, and all look down our noses at the relatively inefficient but market-cost effective GM and European brands.

But all this is in family. The commitment to alternative fuels and powertrains unites us more than our differences divide us. All alternative vehicles on the road now will be obsolete soon, to be replaced by the next generation of alternatives.

I, for example, am waiting for some car company to offer a "convertable," that is a vehicle which is a two-seater (and likely plug-in) for around town, but to which a payload carring rear end can be added for hauling stuff around when needed. Other combinations for other needs are also possible.

Old 10-27-2008, 06:32 PM
Greenie

4-5 interested... not worth doing I guess at that level of interest... I think this thread is lost here in events... But then again the newsletter note didn't generate any interested parties either... Oh well.

Old 10-27-2008, 06:54 PM
Green Missionary

ddderek - What it will take to get something going is for someone to say, "Hey, let's meet regularly at <place> at <time>." Sometimes only one person will show up, but keep at it and it might lead to bigger groups. Or it might die.

I have neither the time nor the energy now to take the initiative on this, but if you (or someone else) wants to take the bull by the horns and seed things, I'll see about participating.

You also might start with things a little more open. The group could be open to all hybrid, flex fuel, diesel, electric, and even solar powered vehicles. Get enough people interested and subgroups will form. If one of those subgroups is an FEH group, we may be able to interest the Ford engineers who designed it.