Events & Gatherings Meet with other hybrid enthusiasts from across the country [and world?].

Mr. Wilson goes to Washington

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 05:30 AM
Engineering first
Default Re: Mr. Wilson goes to Washington

I did get a reply:
On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 6:53 AM, <dascone@dot.gov> wrote:
Mr. Wilson,
We have already invited our speakers for the meeting, but we welcome your participation during the open floor discussions. Since this issue is relatively new, we are trying to allow individuals and organizations an opportunity to speak about the issues. We are limiting our formal presentations so that we have plenty of time for open discussion.
Thank you for your interest in the subject and we will see you on the 23rd.
Debbie

Hi Debbie,

Thank you for the reply even though it does not meet my expectations. From what I can tell, everyone was invited except actual hybrid vehicle owners, the ones expected to pay for the proposed noise makers. Sad to say, that seems to be the unfair practice that characterizes the "Quiet Car" initiative.

I plan to attend the hearings and will leave my package with you' all at the hearing. I'll also visit the Alabama Congressional offices and hopefully you won't mind if I share your note with them since it clearly demonstrates the legislative problem.

Bob Wilson
I had suspected this was a 'done deal' and based upon the conversation I had with Debbie last week, figured that train had already left the station. That is why petitioning our government is more important than ever.

At this late date, the strongest argument we have is the missing 'stake holders,' the hybrid electric owners. But we have one advantage, it is an election year and we can address the problems with this bill with facts and data.

Bob Wilson

Old 06-13-2008, 12:42 PM
Driving in stealth mode

Good luck Mr. Wislon. If there's anything use regular folk can do let us know.

Old 06-13-2008, 12:47 PM
Driving in stealth mode

Good luck Mr. Wislon. If there's anything use regular folk can do let us know.

Old 06-13-2008, 02:35 PM
Engineering first
Talking Re: Mr. Wilson goes to Washington

Originally Posted by coolshock1
Good luck Mr. Wilson. If there's anything use regular folk can do let us know.
Just make sure your congress critters know what you think about this bad bill. Point out there hasn't been one hybrid electric owner in any of the discussions but they are planning to sock it to us for at least $300 so our cars will be just as deadly as today's gas cars. Tell them the bill needs to be reworked to fix the problems and make it move our country forward.

Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 06-13-2008 at 05:37 PM.
Old 06-16-2008, 07:30 AM
Engineering first
Default Re: Mr. Wilson goes to Washington - RSVP

Hi,

A minor logistics issue but I'll need to know by Wednesday if anyone is going to join me either Saturday or Sunday for dinner. I'll need to update the reservations and/or cancel if no one else is planning to show.

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
... But since I'll be in the DC area, I am inviting hybrid owners and enthusiasts in the Northern Virginia and Maryland area to a couple of 'git togethers.'

We'll be driving up from Huntsville experimenting with flat-towing our Prius and I'll bring some Prius stuff I've been working on to share at the meetings:
  1. NHW11 battery refurbishment - example modules and an RC charger. We'll actually go through the steps.
  2. General data recording and reporting using a Graham scanner and software. How to approach data plotting.
  3. Flat-towing Prius results.
  4. Prius inverter installation and operation.
  5. Advocacy for HR 5734 materials and suggestions.
  6. Local club activities, if anyone shows up or there is any interest.
  7. Anything folks want to bring up.
Wear comfortable clothes and we'll have a grand time. If you have stuff to share, bring it along. Think of it as a chance to 'talk hybrid shop' and have some fun:
  • Saturday, June 21, 10:00 PM - late, Sweet Water Microbrewers, 3066 Gatehouse Plaza, Merryfield VA (just off Rt 50 and outside the beltway.) I've reserved space for 20. If the traditional afternoon showers clear out the patio (bring a towel and skeeter repellant,) we'll probably have that space. Good food, moderate prices, and great beverages. (RSVP via PM)
  • Sunday, June 22, 8:00 PM - The Dancing Crab, 4615 Wisconsin Ave. I've also asked for space for 20. All you can eat crabs, ~$40, and adding all you can drink beverages (bring a driver,) ~$60. (RSVP via PM)
RSVP.

Thanks,
Bob Wilson

Old 06-16-2008, 10:34 AM
Outcast Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
Just make sure your congress critters know what you think about this bad bill. Point out there hasn't been one hybrid electric owner in any of the discussions but they are planning to sock it to us for at least $300 so our cars will be just as deadly as today's gas cars. Tell them the bill needs to be reworked to fix the problems and make it move our country forward.

Bob Wilson
My big fear is that this could be the tip of the iceburg! Next they might:
  • Will the device work for animals or will you also be required to get those deer/animal "whistles"
  • require a big lighting bolt sticker on four sides with warnings of electric shock in three languages
  • a chemical hazard diamond on the back to signify the contents of those "explode-able" batteries
  • blinking light on top so no one with a pacemaker gets to close to the electric engine.
  • 2 week timer that requires that you fill up, even if you have 3/4 of a tank so that the local gas stations don't have their revenue stream slowed.
Are these ideas any different than the "quiet car" initiative?

Old 06-16-2008, 01:35 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

I'm a little late checking back on the thread, but this is rather distressing. I sent a letter anyway to Ms. Ascone asking her to let you speak anyway.

I'm also sending a note to the Sierra Club about this, I don't know if it can help, but hopefully it won't hurt!

Old 06-19-2008, 09:54 AM
Engineering first

Hi Folks,

It looks like my wife won't be able to join me on this trip so I'll drive up Sunday, sleep-over, attend the hearings, and drive back Monday evening. I can't sentence her to two weeks confinement to an RV without knowing she has proper medical support ... just one of those things.

I will be at the hearing Monday morning, bright eyed and try to MP3 record the session. I'll also ask a few questions and then visit the Alabama delegation offices.

Sometimes, you have to adjust the plan. My wife will be fine but taking her on a two week vacation concurrent with this DC visit just isn't in the cards. <dang it!>

Bob Wilson

ps. I would be interested in a comfortable couch instead of paying as much for a motel room as the total gas bill for the trip. Send a PM and 'bread and butter gifts' are one of our better Southern traditions.

Last edited by bwilson4web; 06-19-2008 at 09:57 AM.