Events & Gatherings Meet with other hybrid enthusiasts from across the country [and world?].

North American International Auto Show Get Together

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 09:44 PM
Prof. of Hybridology
Default North American International Auto Show Get Together

As discussed in another thread, there is always the possibility of us Auto Enthusasts (Gee, a title I'd never have thought apply to myself) meeting, to put a face to a name, and to see all the new and nifty high tech hybrids that are in the works .

Although I'm starting this, I would prefer not to be the guy in charge of arranging a get together; I've done enough of these that I'd rather not try to do this one. We've got some time as to try to arrange a get together for those interested to align dates and times.

If you're interested, speak up and post here. Native or not, regardless of what kind of hybrid you own, I think this is a pretty neat chance and setting for a meet-up. (How many and if you have some time/dates in mind, you should probably go ahead and post them as well.) Plus, we get a group rate if there are 25 or more of us attending.

So, anyone interested?

www.naias.com

Public Show:

Saturday, January 14 through Sunday, January 22, 2006

One Washington Boulevard
Detroit, MI 48226
Driving directions

Times:
Saturday, January 14 through Saturday, January 21:
9 a.m.-10 p.m. (no admittance after 9 p.m.)
Sunday, January 22:
9 a.m.-7 p.m. (no admittance after 6 p.m.)

Access for Handicapped individuals during public show is at 8 a.m.

Ticket Prices:
Adult: $12
Senior Citizen (65 and older): $6
Children 7-12: $5
Children 6 and under free with their parent (every child in a school group must have a ticket to enter the show,
see Group Tickets for discounts)

Ticket Purchasing Options:

eTickets - Click here
>>Will provide you with a voucher to be redeemed for tickets at the eTicket window.>>eTicket window open 8 a.m. to 9 p.m., Jan. 14 - 21 and 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., Jan. 22.>>Each order must be picked up in its entirety. >>Children 6 and under are free when accompanied by a parent and do not require a ticket. >>Senior and children (ages 7-12) discount tickets may only be purchased at the door.

Group Tickets - Click here>>Discounted rate ($8 per ticket) for groups of 25 or more. >>Children 6 and under are free when accompanied by a parent and do not require a ticket. >>Senior and children (ages 7-12) discount tickets may only be purchased at the door.

Ticketmaster>>Click here to purchase tickets from Ticketmaster.com.
>>
To find a Ticketmaster store location near you click here. >>Children 6 and under are free when accompanied by a parent and do not require a ticket.

Purchase at the Door >>Tickets may be purchased the day of the show at any ticket booth located in the Cobo Center concourse.

Last edited by Pravus Prime; 01-02-2006 at 09:49 PM.
Old 01-04-2006, 01:31 PM
Green Missionary
Default Re: North American International Auto Show Get Together

Hey Rich and others,

I'm a Motowner and am interested in getting a group together for the NAIAS. It would be nice to have a significant HUG (Hybrid Users Group) present.

There are two problems for me:

1) My teaching schedule is heavy on evening classes, so M-Th evenings are likely out for me. Fridays and weekends are best and daytime other days could work with a little lead time to schedule.

2) As a senior citizen (read "old person"), I can get a ticket for $6. But if there are 24 others, then I would gladly pay the extra $2 to save $4 times 24 = $96. (That's a $94 net savings. See "eatery possibility" below.)

Also, as mentioned on the other thread, it might be possible to meet for a snack or meal at one of the eateries in Greektown and take the little electric choo-choo to the auto show and back. While parking is not great in Greektown, it is probably better than around Cobo Hall.

We also raised the question about whether we wanted to identify ourselves as hybriders. Would wearing a lapel label with the three major hybrid badges on it do the job?

Old 01-05-2006, 05:10 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

Well, that makes 2 of us interested in going.

I figure once we get filled out and we've got a date, we can set a meeting location. Add in stuff like I'll be wearing my FEH Hybrid hat, and I would think we'd be able to find each other.

Heck, maybe we can all park in the same lot and have a hybrid zone. (Sure, it's not likely, but fun to speculate)

Old 01-06-2006, 07:18 AM
reformed speed demon

i'm interested in going, and there's a slim chance i might even be able to snag a few free tickets (my dad just got called in to work on show setup for the next few days).

i work a day schedule, so the best times for me are evenings and weekends. only problem is, i'm not sure when i'm going to have my car in the next two weeks. the leather and paint are scheduled for some repairs next week (after last friday's break-in) and i'm not sure how long it's going to be in the shop. my husband probably won't be interested in going to the show, so hopefully i can borrow his car.

Old 01-06-2006, 10:21 AM
Green Missionary

Originally Posted by Pravus Prime
Well, that makes 2 of us interested in going.

I figure once we get filled out and we've got a date, we can set a meeting location. Add in stuff like I'll be wearing my FEH Hybrid hat, and I would think we'd be able to find each other.

Heck, maybe we can all park in the same lot and have a hybrid zone. (Sure, it's not likely, but fun to speculate)
Originally Posted by nimhbug
'm interested in going, and there's a slim chance i might even be able to snag a few free tickets (my dad just got called in to work on show setup for the next few days).

i work a day schedule, so the best times for me are evenings and weekends. only problem is, i'm not sure when i'm going to have my car in the next two weeks. the leather and paint are scheduled for some repairs next week (after last friday's break-in) and i'm not sure how long it's going to be in the shop. my husband probably won't be interested in going to the show, so hopefully i can borrow his car.
I posted a quick note to the Metro Detroit thread to direct people here if they are interested in attending the NAIAS as a hybrid group.

We are now up to three, provided that we can find a good time for all of us. Evenings except Fridays and weekends are probably out for me.

I will also wear my FEH cap from the "Dearborn Experience."

I like the idea of a HUG zone - maybe we can pull it off?

It would be nice to get some drivers of hybrids other than FEH's if possible.

I'm looking forward to this.

Old 01-06-2006, 10:46 AM
YA RLY.

I may be able to go. Only Saturdays or Sundays are good for me. I'm picking up my 2k6 HCH tomorrow

John, when was the Dearborn Experience that you went to? I went to the very first Ford Escape Experience which was shortly after the vehicle entered production. I didn't get a hat but I did get a t-shirt (it's either made of hemp or organic cotton - I forget which).

Old 01-06-2006, 11:25 AM
Green Missionary

Originally Posted by Sledge
I may be able to go. Only Saturdays or Sundays are good for me. I'm picking up my 2k6 HCH tomorrow

John, when was the Dearborn Experience that you went to? I went to the very first Ford Escape Experience which was shortly after the vehicle entered production. I didn't get a hat but I did get a t-shirt (it's either made of hemp or organic cotton - I forget which).
Welcome to the club, Sledge. You are the first responder interested in the NAIAS who represents a hybrid other than the FEH. And best wishes for your relationship with you new HCH.

Given that weekdays and evenings seem to be out, we should probably target a Saturday or Sunday. That means Jan. 14, 15, 21, 22. Since some of the announcements may occur during the week, I suggest one of the two latter days. Perhaps Saturday, Jan. 21 would be best.

The "Dearborn Experience" (aka "The Ford Escape Hybrid Experience") I refer to was held on Oct. 8-9, 2005 by the Ford Motor Company at their Dearborn Development Complex. FEH owners from across the continent were invited for a seminar to exchange information with the Ford Development Team. The FEH had been in production more than a year at that time.

I got a baseball cap with the Ford hybrid logo, two t-shirts (one a momento of the event and the other for the Mercury Mariner Hybrid - just out!), a CD for the MMH, two pencils made of recycled materials, and a water bottle (which did not fit the cupholder in the FEH!).

Old 01-06-2006, 11:36 AM
YA RLY.

Originally Posted by John M. Dwyer
The "Dearborn Experience" (aka "The Ford Escape Hybrid Experience") I refer to was held on Oct. 8-9, 2005 by the Ford Motor Company at their Dearborn Development Complex. FEH owners from across the continent were invited for a seminar to exchange information with the Ford Development Team. The FEH had been in production more than a year at that time.

I got a baseball cap with the Ford hybrid logo, two t-shirts (one a momento of the event and the other for the Mercury Mariner Hybrid - just out!), a CD for the MMH, two pencils made of recycled materials, and a water bottle (which did not fit the cupholder in the FEH!).
Cool. Hopefully Ford was listening carefully to what you guys were saying

Old 01-06-2006, 12:14 PM
Green Missionary

Originally Posted by Sledge
Cool. Hopefully Ford was listening carefully to what you guys were saying
I think most of us there thought so. Presumably the development engineers were concerned that FEH drivers were not getting the FE that they thought they should. But much of the session provided an opportunity for users to tell the engineers - individually and collectively - what they liked and didn't, and what they would like to see improved (and in some cases, specifically how).

I feel the engineers listened. Whether the entire corporation listened is still to be seen although they seem to be saying the correct things (despite introducing a gigantic SUV - the Everest). One of the reasons for going to the NAIAS is to show Ford and others that the support is there for this kind of product.

Old 01-12-2006, 09:14 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

Well, at least going on those interested, how does the last Saturday, January 21st sound?

Quick Reply: North American International Auto Show Get Together

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands