Events & Gatherings Meet with other hybrid enthusiasts from across the country [and world?].

Phoenix - Valley of the Sun

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 05:09 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Phoenix - Valley of the Sun

Originally Posted by bar10dah
Anyone familiar with Thomas "Shanty" Hogan? We did his flag folding ceremony yesterday.
Is that a hybrid thing? I am not sure what this means.

Old 01-08-2006, 06:38 PM

No.

Shanty Hogan was a guy that lived around here. I think he went to college at U of A. He was a football player for the school. Then he joined the Army Air Corps to be a navigator for a B-52 during the war. Afterwards, he came back here. If I remember correctly, he made a career out of being the coach for Phoenix College? I don't know his full story. In fact, I never heard of him until this weekend. But, I suppose a lot of people around here knew who he was. Nearly 3,000 people attended his funeral.

I'm a member of the Honor Guard at Luke AFB. Since he's a veteran, we did his flag folding ceremony and played taps at his funeral.

I was only asking if anyone knew him because this is a thread for us Phoenician hybrid drivers.

Last edited by bar10dah; 01-08-2006 at 06:41 PM.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:03 AM

Hey guys: my name is John Dickerson. I've emailed some of you about a lifestyle story i'm writing about hybrids and their drivers. If you don't mind, I'd love to meet up with all of you on the 21st (once time and location are nailed down). In the mean time, I'd really enjoy chatting with some of you about you hybrids. I'm looking to interview a lot of hybrid drivers, but I'd especially like to find an Insight driver and also a family man who drives an Accord or larger hyrbrid. I'd also love to hear stories about comparing your MPG to friends' Tahoes, other gas guzzlers. Thanks for letting me butt in. JOhn Dickerson (www.scottsdaletimes.com) 480.348.0343. John@Scottsdaletimes.com

Old 01-13-2006, 11:13 AM

We'd love to have you along!

Old 01-14-2006, 09:53 AM
Active Enthusiast

Hey Guys, the Harlem Globetrotters are playing at America West Arena on the 21st. I'm not sure how big of a crowd this is going to draw, but it's right next door to the ballpark.

I guess we need a roll call here, it's only a week away already.

Old 01-14-2006, 10:25 AM

See Post #17 for list of attendees.

Should we change the meeting location?

Old 01-15-2006, 06:32 PM

I was wondering if we would have an issue like that. If we don't want to meet at the Pavillions, how about another mall parking lot like Scottsdale 101 or Desert Ridge? It will preclude the electric vehicles (do they always have to be plugged in for the ride home?) but the reporter wants to see an Insight anyway.

John, I'll give you a call this week and hopefully we'll see you on Saturday.

Old 01-15-2006, 07:27 PM
Active Enthusiast

I honestly don't think we're going to be able to get anywhere near the Pavillions this weekend. The reason is because the Barret Jackson car auction is going on and it always makes the Pavillions a huge crowd. I'm willing to go there, but finding somewhere we can all park together won't be easy (or necessarily anywhere near the location).

Desert Ridge works, but I was thinking a more centralized location might be better for everyone. No the EV doesn't have to be plugged in, but I'm limited on range. If our reporter wants to see an Insight I can bring my IMA-less wounder that's still awaiting a new battery pack.

Old 01-16-2006, 11:48 AM

OK, the Pavillions is out and so is Desert Ridge. That whole area by the Civic Plaza is mess. How about Fashion Square in Scottsdale (althought there is a lot of parking and it might be difficult to ensure everyone knows where to go)? There is the strip mall on Camelback and 24th Street (with the Best Buy). There is Arizona Mills and the Fry's on Baseline. Anybody think of any place else?

Do we want to move it to another weekend when there is less going on in and around the Ball Park?

Old 01-16-2006, 02:46 PM
Enthusiast

OK....I think I've got it. I made many phone calls, and have found out that Applebees at Camelback & Cental has quite a large parking lot. The manager said it's actually 2 lots. Lets meet there at 4:00 pm sharp on Saturday, Jan 21. I am flying in from Seattle and would enjoy meeting lots of you. I can reserve a table for 25 or so? for 4:45 pm, so we can have salad or desert or even a meal. Bill..........

Quick Reply: Phoenix - Valley of the Sun

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands