Events & Gatherings Meet with other hybrid enthusiasts from across the country [and world?].

SoCal Hybrid Event

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2006, 07:30 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: SoCal Hybrid Event

Originally Posted by billy6
Several others have said they will attend! Hopefully 25 or more cars will show. Willie from San Diego will also be there, along with his Turbo-charged Insight. Anyone from the Phoenix area want to make the drive? Bill......
Sorry but Bill & I won't be there this time (opps, I guess it's this weekend). Things at work are stressful and neither of us could get away for a long weekend. We are up in the mountains instead. Say hi to everybody and we'll try to make it next time.

Old 04-29-2006, 06:23 PM
Active Enthusiast

I'll be there!

I even broke down and had 'The Beast' washed this morning.

Ron in SoCal

Old 04-30-2006, 08:03 PM
Active Enthusiast

I just want to Pass on a "Thank You" on behalf of Billy 6 for the interest and attendance today at his sponsored Southern California Hybrid Event in Chino, California. I believe we had about 13 Insights (some beautifully modded), a whole bunch of Prius, various flavors of Hondas, and four FEH. We also had numerous hybrid-owner want-to-bes and I took the opportunity to pass out a whole bunch of Jason's Greenhybrid.Com cards.

Unfortunately, we had no Lexus attendees. My guess is that they do not normally shop at Walmart, where we had the event.
Billy is now on his way back to Seattle and will be back on line in about a week.

Mike

Old 04-30-2006, 08:44 PM
Enthusiast

thank you billy it was a great turnout alot of nice people. i even learned alot about the the insight. there was alot of great people i was one of the only 06 civics there
mike

Old 04-30-2006, 09:36 PM

Strange, I KNOW I posted a message around 7am saying I had a change of plans and was on my way to this event... ??

But anyways, I just got home. Had a good time! It's always nice to get a bunch of hybrids (or any fuel efficient vehicle, for that matter) together. And as always, great company! It was a pleasure meeting everyone today. Two familiar faces, all the rest were new.

698 total miles round trip
18.271 gallons
$54.93 for fuel

I left Phoenix with a full tank of fuel. I think I filled up the day before for $2.95/gal. When I got to Chino, I had just under half a tank and about 340 miles on the tank. I was going to fill up before I left to go home, but as I pulled into the gas station near the parking lot we met up in, I saw that it was about $3.30/gal!! Sheesh! How do you Californians live?! So, since I have pretty good range in my HAH, I turned around and hopped onto the highway.

I knew Gonavy had exceeded 600 miles on a tank already. So I felt pretty confident I'd make it a good ways before I needed fuel. But in the desert sometimes you can go 70+ miles between gas stations. I didn't want to take that chance. (once, I saw a sign that said, "Over 100 Miles To Next Service Station.")

So I thought I'd go out to the CA/AZ border; it's GOT to be cheaper there. When I pulled off into Blythe, CA gas was $3.43!! So I went down one of the roads and into the town to see if it was cheaper away from the interstate. Nope, $3.49... At this point, I think I had 545 miles on my tank. I got back on the highway and kept on truckin'.

As soon as I crossed into AZ, the Flying J truck stop had gas for $2.99! Man oh man, does CA tax the hell out of your fuel! I only went about five miles down the road from Blythe and gas was 50 cents cheaper!

So, I made it 553 miles. If I was around Phoenix, where the gas stations are closer together, I would have pushed to get that 600+ mile tank. Next time...

Old 04-30-2006, 09:36 PM

Oh, and I have some pics from our event. I'll post them later this week.

Old 05-05-2006, 10:08 PM

I created a 5Mb vid of the meet in Chino. I tried to upload it to the share section, but there's a 2Mb limit. Will someone host this vid on their website to share with this, the Insight, and the FEH forums?