Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

'04 HCH Mileage Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 11:33 PM
Psychotaz
Default '04 HCH Mileage Gauge

I haven't received my 04 Owners Manual, so here is my question. Under the Mileage their is a guage that goes from 0 - 120. What is that? It stays around 40+ but when I slow down or go down hill I it goes upto 120. When I stop it goes to 0.

Old 01-09-2006, 01:22 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: '04 HCH Mileage Gauge

I don't know the exact term for it but it tells you your instant fuel mileage, moment by moment. The higher you can keep it the better. I try to keep mine at 60+. If you get it to read above 60 you are in lean burn (which is great for mileage!). It reads 120 (it is probably much more honestly), what is happening during coast is it shuts down 3 of the 4 cylinders to save more fuel. If you go to the Hondacars.com website, go to certified pre-owned, then to model library, you can study up a little more on the features. I believe all of the 03-05's are the same, someone else on here could clear that up. As far as your average, some on here (including myself) use one trip for tanks and one for overall or lmpg (lifetime miles per gallon). I like resetting it each tank because it gives me the chance to see how I am doing more immeadiately. I have recently told somebody some of the techniques I have read here and they had improved by 10 mpg, but didn't see it because they hadn't reset the guage, I had to explain that the current change would have little effect on 5000 miles, but they were very happy to see it more instant. Hope this helps and enjoy you car!!! You should also be able to find a copy of the manual online, but I am not sure ... maybe in Owners Link (which you can also find from the Hondacars.com website). Take care and have fun with your car!!!

Edit: Here is the 04 HCH link from hondacars.com

http://automobiles.honda.com/certifi...ModelYear=2004

Here is the owners link page

https://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/login.asp?brand=honda

Thought I would make it a little easier for you. I do believe if you sign up for owner's link (it is free), you can see the manual online, check it for recalls, etc. You can keep up with your maintainance, even if you do it yourself.

Hope this helps!!!

Last edited by bluesesshomaru17; 01-09-2006 at 01:28 AM.
Old 01-09-2006, 05:49 AM
Have hybrid, will travel.

You will also see that refered to as the Fuel Consumption Display -- FCD for short, or the instantaneous mileage display.

Old 01-09-2006, 01:50 PM
Active Enthusiast

yeah, I have a hard time with the term (FCD) because it means something entirely different in another online community (as an upgrade). In the RX-7/rotary world, FCD meand Fuel Cut Defenser. It is something that you install when you are going to mod your turbo rotary engine. What happens is the computer is programmed to cut fuel at a certain boost level (8psi?), it will also cut the rear rotor first. You can usually get away with one mod but once you go past that, let's say an exhaust and an intake, chances are you have increased total airflow efficiency enough, it will cause the boost to raise too high for the CPU, cutting fuel and wrecking the engine (because of course this usually happens at high rpm, hard acceleration/heavy load). So if you wanted to say, get a larger intercooler, or any other turbo mod ... an 'FCD' is absolutely necessary. I would say this kind of FCD (instant mileage) is necessary in any attempt to achieve MPG performance. I will try to reprogram my mind now to accept FCD as fuel consumption display, it will be easier the more I hear it. I have a decade of knowing it as the other. IFE or IMPG is how I have refered to it in my ignorance. I am just happy I know what FAS, DWL, P&G, DWB, etc., etc. mean.

Old 01-09-2006, 10:48 PM
Psychotaz

Thanks Shaun...I have learned pretty good so far but could use any tips. I mainly drive highway at about 65-75mph. Since our hwys here are either 55, 65, 70, and 75. The two I mainly drive on are 65 and 70, unless I go thru town and its 55. I have a commute to work 45 miles one way all highway. It is better to use Cruise control or not?