Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

05 Accord Sedan, I4, 5AT Tank Posted

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2005, 05:43 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Thumbs up 05 Accord Sedan, I4, 5AT Tank Posted

Just posted a tank on the Accord.

39.6 mpg, 496 miles, 12.5 gal.

The Accord loves to hypermile. This tank has a trip the wife took to Guthrie, Ok. two work day Tulsa grinds and other short trips of 25miles or so in the county. Wife wont coast and such, but has made a point to drive the speed limits or a tad below them and just be a tad more conservitive and plan her drive time out better. This effort on her part has helped out alot. Wife does get milage at work for when she uses the car. They pay .36 cents a mile. So wife has about 256 miles this tank in the bank.

I fully expect to see the next tank in the low forty's and solid place in the mid forty's by the 5th tank.

Just in the two weeks the wife and I have riden in to Tulsa together in the Accord we have saved about $120.00, its working out well

psy

Old 09-09-2005, 07:19 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 05 Accord Sedan, I4, 5AT Tank Posted

Hi Psyshack:

___40 is a slam dunk now that you have “The Hunger”

___Before you found out about hypermiling, what did you receive and what did you expect out of you I4? The improvement is what I would like others to focus on, not just the FE today …

___Good Luck w/ all your future tanks!

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 09-09-2005, 07:48 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 05 Accord Sedan, I4, 5AT Tank Posted

Originally Posted by xcel
Hi Psyshack:

___40 is a slam dunk now that you have “The Hunger”

___Before you found out about hypermiling, what did you receive and what did you expect out of you I4? The improvement is what I would like others to focus on, not just the FE today …

___Good Luck w/ all your future tanks!

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net
Ive hypermiled for years and played with the useable max mpg that can be gained in a given auto. Just another faucet of motorsports IMO.

BUT for the Accord it was meeting combined EPA of 26 to 27 mpg in the wifes hands... I could push 30 easy in town with ac on and fliping the bird at all in my way. And can get 32 mpg out of it with tool boxes and heavy pump parts in the trunk,,, playing in gods country in nw arkansas.

Ive hyper'd a 69 chrysler newport with a 383 to 28 mpg. LMAO,, at ticket speeds. And have pushed a 1992 ford festive twords the 60 mpg mark.

We really dont want to chat about the insanity placed on the Accord on break in oil.

Hypermiling,, basicly is doing what you know you need to do when your *****ing about gas prices or lack of mpg. A person really does know that if there on the floor trying to do 70 mph up a /,,, they know there waisting gas. Or racing for that spot one car up at the stop light. Hell its fun.... YOU WON!!!

Your gut will tell you whats right if your trying to care. Be it the wallet, a greenie weenie world or a combined soul searching effort.

Just a study in hybermiling will make a person a better driver and put one more in tune with the auto and there surroundings. If one turns that into globle warming,, so be it. I like the ones that fig. out more basics about how there car works.

I hate to say it... " Just do it " wife set back tonight,, grined at me and said " hunny you cant do this push for mpg forever, and your looking at a hybrid civic, I know you want in your gut the Si, Its OK "

Point is >>> one can have fun and hyper..

Just enjoy your ride and explore all it can do and offer. I expect mid 40's mpg out of the Accord.. but its a riot bumping the rev limiter getting 22 mpg.

Our cars are a very important part of our lives. Enjoy them for what they are and what you can do with them. And share it

psy