Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

1st snow -or- why i love MN...NOT!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 07:44 AM
my other car is a FJORD
Wink 1st snow -or- why i love MN...NOT!

it started like any day in late november.....heavy rain and high winds. what the heck?? all day yesterday it rained and blew and promised snow. about 8 miles from home last night, it was like someone threw a switch and it changed from rain to sleet/snow almost instantly. i hate winter driving, but got it home ok.

this morning was the real test. i turned down our dirt road to the 4 lane, and for a moment forgot that i was no longer driving my CRV (darn, i really missed that vehicle for a while today). slowed down and my snow tires really did a good job. the first 8 miles on the 4 lane are the worst, because the highway dept. just doesn't do as good a job as farther south toward st. cloud. they are generally icy and most often the passing lane is pretty much covered, which it was today. the road has several long curves and bridges, and i generally don't like it. but again, i took it easy and the tires really did well.

i drove between 45-50 all the way in, depending on the surface. there was a lot of blowing snow, and the "get out of my way, shrimp, i have 4 wheel drive what do you mean can i stop if i need to???" types passed me, but i feel like the car really did well. it never slipped around, i could keep the speed steady and the heater worked so well i had to turn it down. mind you, this was not 6 inches of stuff, but still a good attempt.

and, i kid you not, the best part was parking it at work, next to a big dodge ram, and the FE display read 59.4mpg!!!

Old 11-29-2005, 07:53 AM
Banned
Default Re: 1st snow -or- why i love MN...NOT!

Originally Posted by laurie
....and, i kid you not, the best part was parking it at work, next to a big dodge ram, and the FE display read 59.4mpg!!!

A lot of the guys in a Dodge Ram are not even looking at FE readout or even the dashboard.

Old 11-29-2005, 08:11 AM
my other car is a FJORD

Originally Posted by Delta Flyer
A lot of the guys in a Dodge Ram are not even looking at FE readout or even the dashboard.

COFFEE SPEW

hmm, i hope the guy i parked next to doesn't use my car for a step to get into his.........

Old 11-29-2005, 01:14 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Laurie, I think I'd take snow over a hurricane any day of the week! Then when I see 0f and below and think back when I grew up in the Chicago area and shoveling snow I forget about hurricanes..lol Kevin