Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 08:15 AM
Enthusiast
Default 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid

Hi. I bought my car last September as I am a home health therapist that drives close to a hundred miles a day. I bought the hybrid hoping that it would save money at the gas station and get me great gas mileage. However I'm only getting around 24 to 25 miles per gallon. This is even worse than some of the regular just gas engines.

I know to do rolling stops... Moderate acceleration to do the desired speed and cruise... Not run my AC all the time which is hard because I live in Tucson Arizona.

Is anyone else having this problem with this car? Any suggestions on what I can be doing?

thanks in advance.

Old 07-11-2018, 09:10 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid

Originally Posted by Chad Spear
Hi. I bought my car last September as I am a home health therapist that drives close to a hundred miles a day. I bought the hybrid hoping that it would save money at the gas station and get me great gas mileage. However I'm only getting around 24 to 25 miles per gallon. This is even worse than some of the regular just gas engines.

I know to do rolling stops... Moderate acceleration to do the desired speed and cruise... Not run my AC all the time which is hard because I live in Tucson Arizona.

Is anyone else having this problem with this car? Any suggestions on what I can be doing?

thanks in advance.
ALWAYS RUN YOUR A/C! PERIOD! If you are not cool and comfortable, your hybrid battery is overheating. Set it to "AUTO", recirculate and 72-78°F. Make sure all vents are open and air is being distributed throughout the car. Center vents blowing an arc of air that hits the rear deck. Your goal is to cool the entire interior of the car, not just your face.

Also ensure the cabin air filter has been recently replaced.

Every time you park the car, use a sunshade and crack the windows. When you take off, drive the first 1/2 mile or so with the windows down 1/2 way to flush the hot air out of the car.

Fueleconomy.gov EPA ratings: 41 city/36 hwy/39 combined

1) How are you measuring fuel economy?
2) describe a typical day of driving in detail.

Old 07-26-2018, 12:40 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid

I got to say I am surprised to hear that you are only getting 25 mpg. Are you driving through hills or inclines on a daily basis? I don't know much about Tucson but I believe arizona can be pretty mountainous .