Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

2013 Camry Hybrid XLE low city mpg!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2018, 10:27 AM
Enthusiast
Default 2013 Camry Hybrid XLE low city mpg!

• Hello everyone! My name's Renee. I recently bought a used 2013 Camry XLE Hybrid with 50,000 miles on it from Toyota. It has 2 great warranties.
  • I noticed it was getting low mpg in the city 31-32 but on roadtrips it gets 38-39 mpg. Is this normal? I thought it was supposed to be the other way around?
  • I took it in for a checkup and they said it's fine and nothing they can do. I researched and use driving techniques I learned but it only seems to be getting worse... Any suggestions?

Old 07-07-2018, 05:28 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2013 Camry Hybrid XLE low city mpg!

Please don't post across multiple threads. One message is enough.

Are you using A/C?

What is your "city driving" like?

Old 07-07-2018, 05:52 PM
Enthusiast

Thank you S Keith. I am new to forums and kept finding what seemed a more appropriate place to post my question. I will remember not to do that next time.

I do use the AC however I used the AC when I got the amazing hwy mpg too.

Old 07-07-2018, 05:55 PM
Enthusiast

I take it easy in the city... don't go into power mode much. Take off slow and dont brake fast. I use non ethanol gas.

Old 07-07-2018, 06:46 PM

Due to the frequently longer time associated with hwy driving, and the increased efficiency of the condenser (forced airflow from speed), the A/C load is notably lower. A/C in a hybrid is best used like a home thermostat, i.e., set it on AUTO, recirc, and a temp with small adjustments as needed. Set the vents to blow into the front and rear areas - center vents best to blow into the back deck area (battery fan inlet).

Save your money on the non-ethanol gas. I know it's a big thing in OK - my Dad is all about it, but the bottom line is it makes about a 2-3% difference in efficiency. If you can get it for 2-3% more than E10, fine if you're paying a larger premium, you're just flushing money out your tail pipe. If you're doing it as a political statement against the subsidized ethanol industry, good on you.

I meant describe the city driving you do, e.g., 15 mile commute, surface street stop-and-go with stops every 0.5-1.0 mile, frequent short trips (under 3 miles) to run errands, with a 15-60 minute stop each time, etc.

"city" driving can mean a great number of different types of driving where "hwy" is pretty much the same.

Old 07-07-2018, 07:29 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for your time on this.
The way you described is how I use the AC.
my city driving is a mixture of short 2-4 mile trips close to home and also further trips 10-20 miles one way then a stop and back home.
The longer trips are part highway across town. When I'm on the hwy mpg goes up.
Most of my trips are the 10-20 mile trips.

Old 07-07-2018, 10:07 PM

Those 2-4 mile trips are mpg killers. This is especially true when coupled with heat and heavy A/C use.

With the highway MPG you pull down, it's safe to say there's nothing wrong with the gasoline side of things.

All too often, people are blind to anything outside their preconception.I recommend you start collecting data via a fueling app such as Fuelly. This will also improve the accuracy of your numbers because the mpg meter in the car isn't particularly accurate. Fuelly use distance traveled and fuel added.

Also consider resetting your mpg meter periodically to capture the car-reported mpg for different drive types.

Old 07-08-2018, 10:29 AM
Enthusiast

Those 2-4 mile trips are mpg killers. This is especially true when coupled with heat and heavy A/C use.
is there anything I can do to improve those short trips?

With the highway MPG you pull down, it's safe to say there's nothing wrong with the gasoline side of things. true

All too often, people are blind to anything outside their preconception.I recommend you start collecting data via a fueling app such as Fuelly. This will also improve the accuracy of your numbers because the mpg meter in the car isn't particularly accurate. Fuelly use distance traveled and fuel added.
I do use the long Math on my calculator or on an online fuel calculator using gallons used at the pump when I fill up.
I will get Fuelly too.

Also consider resetting your mpg meter periodically to capture the car-reported mpg for different drive types.
I will do this.
I'm still very disappointed with 31 mpg in the city. My friends that live in Tulsa that drive Camry Hybrids get much better gas milage.

Should I leave ECO on at all times?

Old 07-08-2018, 04:54 PM

Nothing can really be done for those sorts of trips. They are inherently inefficient. Small non-hybrids are probably in the low 20s.

Concerning ECO mode, according to:

https://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/docu...f/OM33A34U.pdf

"When the vehicle is driven in Eco drive mode, vehicle driving
force and operation of the air conditioning system (heating/cooling)
is controlled to improve fuel efficiency."

If you're not using it, it's probably worth a try, and it will probably make a small difference.

You can't compare your car to other's cars unless you've traded them and are driving them like your car on your drive(s). As I mentioned, "city" driving covers a huge range of drive types. You can't compare apples to oranges. Additionally, unless someone is logging every tankful and has a good handle on their mileage, their claims are meaningless. Most people pay attention to the mpg meter every now and then, and that defines the mileage for them.