Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

62.8 MPG Honda Accord

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 09:19 AM
Enthusiast
Default 62.8 MPG Honda Accord

Honda says it should be available around 2010. Problem is, that it's a bio-diesel vehicle. MORE

Old 07-31-2007, 10:08 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 62.8 MPG Honda Accord

Why is that a problem?

Old 07-31-2007, 02:30 PM
Enthusiast

I guess I see it as a problem because I'm not a fan of diesel fuel. Anything bio tends to raise the cost of something else. If it's vegi oil that's used, then the cost of anything using vegi oil will go up. Diesel is still a oil product and thus feeds the same animal that's biting us. But overall, you are right, it's not really a "problem" as I wrote. I thought that might be the wrong word to use. What Honda is doing is positive, but not exactly what I see is the answer for the masses.

Old 07-31-2007, 04:00 PM
Lord of Time and Space

shadestrades comments on the push me-pull you effect of biofuels (biodiesel, ethanol from corn) are interesting, and you can already see some of the initial ripple effects in the marketplace:

Pizza shops and chains are either increasing their prices or reducing the amount of cheese for their pizzas (cheese goes up when milk goes up when grain to feed cows go up when crops are diverted from feed to fuel production).

Malted barley prices are expected to increase this year, as barley fields are converted to corn - homebrewers (including myself) won't be terribly happy about this.

But as regards diesel, if you're using roughly the same amount of diesel as you would in a gas Prius, that wouldn't seem too bad to me. Does diesel require less refining than gasoline (and therefore, have a lower production energy footprint)?

Did you read the comments following the original linked article? There is at least one person there posting something to the effect of "Hybrids can kiss my a**!" I imagine I could say "Diesels can kiss my a**", as my fuel is available EVERYWHERE, and the cars are available just about everywhere. But I won't, as diesel offers a level of power and torque that's attractive to a market segment.

Everyone has their reasons for going to alternative fuel, and every technology has compromises. Truth is, until we're BEYOND the current situation (completely weaned off petroleum), I think there's nothing wrong with the idea of multiple transitional technologies (hybrid, PHEV, diesel/biodiesel, SMART cars, etc). Whatever gets someone to make the change, for whatever their reasons, is OK by me.

I think the whole thing says something about Honda's change of direction, if nothing else?

Just my inflation-adjusted 2 cent rant. YMMV.

Old 07-31-2007, 07:50 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stevil
Does diesel require less refining than gasoline (and therefore, have a lower production energy footprint)?
I believe diesel is a by-product of refining gasoline. Actually I just checked Wikipedia and it didn't say anything about it being a by-product so never mind.

Anyway, I agree with what you said about whatever gets someone to make the change towards better fuel economy is good enough for me!

Old 07-31-2007, 07:55 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stevil
...Does diesel require less refining than gasoline (and therefore, have a lower production energy footprint)?...
Actually, yes. A study by UC-Davis estimates that "reformulated gasoline" (RFG) requires about 0.145 BTU/BTU produced, while ultra-low sulfur diesel (ULSD) requires about 0.081 BTU/BTU produced. So RFG requires about 80% more energy to "refine" than ULSD, at least according to that study.

Old 07-31-2007, 08:19 PM
Obsessed MPG Junkie

I have seen so many raves of diesel getting 60+ mpg etc and that Honda is paving the way...but why is there no talk of combining the HCH technology with a diesel instead. If honda can pull that off, they could easily have a 100+mpg auto with no additional battery pack etc. And Toyota will be scrambling to catch up instead.

I think I know the answer....its called "business strategy". Like the computer chips manufacturers, many of the manufacturers could have pulled off the 4 GHz chips years back but throtlling progress means more business and better sustainability. Unfortunately, it is a strategy that shortchanges the consumer.

Old 07-31-2007, 09:46 PM
Active Enthusiast
Location: Two miles N of the technology 'center-of-the-world' in 1903, on the Outer Banks of NC

Does anyone know what is the data source for this article? Where was it introduced? It seems to have been an English speaking country but I've heard nothing about hit in the US. UK?

Imperial gallons? Imp Gal = 1.2 US Gal

[Edit] Found it apparently. Here is one report: http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsAr...Accord/225926/

Last edited by kdhspyder; 07-31-2007 at 09:53 PM.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:23 PM
Happy Camper Enthusiast

one thing to consider about biodiesel is that it has even less temperature tolerance than regular diesel. A friend of mine here in salt lake city is able to run biodiesel in his Jetta TDI from late spring to early fall, but once temperatures dip below freezing (~30 F), the biodiesel supply dries up and owners are recommended not to put it in their cars because of gelling problems. With regular diesel you typically don't have this problem until about -20 F.

--doug

Old 07-31-2007, 10:51 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Okay, I do see your point, shadestrades. Thanks for explaining.

Quick Reply: 62.8 MPG Honda Accord

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands