Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Fuel Economy & Emissions (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/fuel-economy-emissions-22/)
-   -   Acetone in Gas Helps Mileage? (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/fuel-economy-emissions-22/acetone-gas-helps-mileage-3531/)

sno779 10-30-2005 02:22 PM

Re: Acetone in Gas Helps Mileage?

I have run acetone in my 2000 Insight for the last 6130 miles and have averaged 91.62 MPG. Comparing my milage from a year ago during the same period, I traveled 6278 miles and averaged 86.83 MPG. That is a difference of 4.79 MPG or 5.5%. To be fair I also had a new battery pack and modules with no recalls durring the acetone run where a year ago I had the old pack and regular and often recalls.....Louis

OzarkDave 05-30-2007 09:14 AM

I've using Acetone for months, and it works! I use 1oz. per 5 gal. in a Dodge Caravan 05. On flat road at 60 mph, went from 21mpg to 29-30mpg. For those that think it's BS, TRY IT- YOU'LL LIKE IT!!

Regars, Dave

owenscasper 06-02-2007 12:10 PM

There is only one additive that is known to improve vehicle performance. That's the stuff that comes out of the end of the fuel nozzle at the gas station. Without that one everything stops.

Acetone, C3H6O, is roughly 62% carbon by mass. Gasoline is complex but say, C10H22, is 85% carbon. Since almost all the energy generated in a engine is a result of the oxidation of carbon C + O2 = CO2, the fuel with more carbon produces more energy.

That's why diesel,(yet more carbon), can get better mpg than gasoline and why acetone as an additive to increase mpg is a scam.

Lots of talk sometimes about, catalyic reactions, complexing chains, yadda yadda... With less carbon in the fuel there is less energy available for our engines. Period.

Observe the proven cowboy method of doubling your money. Fold it over and put it back in your pocket.

OzarkDave 06-04-2007 10:35 AM

I agree that acetone is not as flammable as gasoline. That is why you should not use more than 1 1/2 oz. per 5 gal. of gasoline/diesel fuel.

The ACETONE lowers the surface tension of the fuel so that it forms smaller droplets! Thus burning more completely in the cylinder. That gives better MPG (for me about 20-30%) and less pollution.

owenscasper 06-04-2007 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by OzarkDave (Post 127788)
I agree that acetone is not as flammable as gasoline. That is why you should not use more than 1 1/2 oz. per 5 gal. of gasoline/diesel fuel.

The ACETONE lowers the surface tension of the fuel so that it forms smaller droplets! Thus burning more completely in the cylinder. That gives better MPG (for me about 20-30%) and less pollution.

Sorry Dave, but since the fuel burning in your engine is vaporized by the injectors, surface tension has no posible impact. If you don't believe my simple analysis, check out this link:

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...cetone+in+fuel

Or, as an alternative, do what you want to believe is true and enjoy the bliss. But don't encourage waste of other's money or worse potentially damage their engines.

OzarkDave 06-04-2007 02:38 PM

I ran into a few people in my life that say: " it can't be done". I did it anyway an now the industry follows. That was in another area. I have used this for several months, know it works fine. Google ACETONE in FUEL, and you will find both sides. As for me the car has never run better. And the savings helps at the pump. If pride keeps you from trying something new, that's your problem. Maybe, you have more money to wast, or don't care about cleaner air. Or, do you work for the oil companies.

bwilson4web 06-04-2007 03:51 PM

Hi Dave,

Originally Posted by OzarkDave (Post 127835)
. . . As for me the car has never run better. . . .

What type of car is it?

Bob Wilson

worthywads 06-04-2007 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by OzarkDave (Post 127788)

If there was 20-30% unburned fuel going out the exhaust you'd at least have the potential, but that's just not the case. If that was the case you must have been spewing heavy black smoke out the exhaust prior to the acetone.

A typical fuel injected vehicle has less than 1% unburnt fuel in the exhaust. That is the available fuel that the acetone could help burn.

OzarkDave 06-04-2007 05:34 PM

05 Dodge Grand Caravan, Bosch quad platinum plugs and upgraded ignition wire. This was done before I started adding ACETONE to the gas. Before ACETONE, I was getting about 21 MPG, now (w/ACETONE) on same stretch of road (20 miles, fairly flat) at same 60 MPH (legal) I get 28-30 MPG all the time. Some times with AC on!

gpsman1 06-04-2007 06:32 PM

Acetone works, and you know why? It's called the Placebo effect.

Because you put acetone in your tank, you THINK you should get better mileage. You EXPECT to get better mileage. Thus, even if subconsciously, you are now driving more gently; more efficiently.

So hey, if the cost is low, and the effect positive. Use it.

If you put a magnet on your fuel line to align the atoms, you will also get better mileage.

Anyone have a sugar pill? I've got a headache.