Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

adjusting when the gas motor kicks in

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 10:42 AM
Enthusiast
Default adjusting when the gas motor kicks in

I have a 2005 Ford Escape Hybrid. I bought it used about two months ago. Ford replace the battery about two weeks ago. I have to barely touch the gas pedal to keep it in electric only when accelerating from stop. When I was test driving used Escapes I don't recall any of the others being this sensitive. I only get about 27 MPG average and that is driving like a little old lady. Does anyone know if there is a way to adjust the sensitivity of the gas motor "kicking in" so it stays in battery only mode longer?

I love the way it drives, but it is frustrating to not get the MPG that I should be getting.

thanks for you help,
Dan

Old 08-28-2008, 02:49 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: adjusting when the gas motor kicks in

Originally Posted by dcoleman
I have a 2005 Ford Escape Hybrid. I bought it used about two months ago. Ford replace the battery about two weeks ago. I have to barely touch the gas pedal to keep it in electric only when accelerating from stop. When I was test driving used Escapes I don't recall any of the others being this sensitive. I only get about 27 MPG average and that is driving like a little old lady. Does anyone know if there is a way to adjust the sensitivity of the gas motor "kicking in" so it stays in battery only mode longer?

I love the way it drives, but it is frustrating to not get the MPG that I should be getting.

thanks for you help,
Dan
So, why did ford replace the battery? Do you mean the 12V battery or the high voltage one? If the high voltage, what did Ford put on the work order as the reason for replacemnt? How did it drive before this was done? If the 12V is disconnected the PCM may have to re-learn your driving technique. I can get up to 37 MPH in EV on a level road, but only if no one is behind me. In regular city traffic the ICE kicks on almost immediately.

There is no adjustment that can change this other than driving technique.
As far as mileage, it depends strongly on what kind of driving you do. As has been stated many times before, short trips are MPG killers. The ideal commute for MPG would probably be 45 MPH roads with no stops for >5 miles.

Old 08-28-2008, 05:13 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Dan, do you have the AWD version as I do? Do you have a scanguage unit installed in your vehicle? It is easy to "accidently" press the gas pedal too far when accelerating from a stop. I found that pressing and then slightly releasing the gas pedal enables me to hold the electric mode longer. It also helps to have the scanguage unit in that you can actually monitor the "amps" generated. In other words, if you press the gas pedal too far/fast and the amps exceed "50" the internal combustion engine starts up. The scanguage provides a visual display of what your foot is doing.

Old 08-29-2008, 12:57 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dcoleman
I have to barely touch the gas pedal to keep it in electric only when accelerating from stop.
All energy came from gas engine.
The excess use of electric only mode causes bad mileage in total.

Ken@Japan

Old 08-29-2008, 04:58 PM
Active Enthusiast

Dan,

Please describe your typical commute.

If you do a lot of accelerating from stops or slow speeds, that is a huge fuel economy killer.

Even though I can get my 2006 FEH 4WD to stay in EV mode up to 42-MPH, 25-miles per hour is about the average, so any acceleration above that kills the fuel economy. My wife mainly just drives around town, and she averages around 27-MPG. On the rare occassion that I take my FEH to work, which is 62-miles (2-hours) each way, it averages about 36-MPG to work and 32-MPG from work (34-MPG average overall). My commute is pretty much the ideal commute...All of my cars have always averaged the EPA highway estimate.

Last edited by Escape_from_Hanover; 08-29-2008 at 05:01 PM.