Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

Affect of running the A/C (in Florida!) on a Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 07:46 AM
HypoFueler
Default Re: Affect of running the A/C (in Florida!) on a Hybrid

running the AC versus not at all will impact your FE by 5%+, not 1%.

The energy to run the compressor really origionates from the GAS fuel....

Old 07-20-2008, 01:12 PM
Insipid Enthusiast

Sure, the ultimate energy originates from the combustion of atoms, but the AC runs directly from the HV pack, the hit to FE comes from the recharging of the HV pack, therefore managing the charge is the most important factor. Charging the HV pack on the highway is the way to go. The momentum of highway speeds along with the regen braking and engine (regen) braking will help to charge without a big hit to FE. I have tested this in city and highway and was able to reproduce those results repeatedly. Of course, not using the AC will give better FE, but a reasonable tradeoff is possible. PS everyone will have to believe me, im not going to photo document all my tests. www.thespoils.8m.com

Old 07-21-2008, 06:13 AM
Active Enthusiast

RealtorLiane,

A few weeks ago, I bought a used 2005 FEH 4WD with moonroof and Premium Package, so it has some of what I consider "luxury" features like navigation, heated leather seats, reverse sensing system, 6-way power driver's seat, etc.

The reduction in MPG due to running the A/C is very minimal for being comfortable -- at least in my opinion --, especially for the clients you are driving around. Clients would have enough room in the back seat, and you would have enough space behind it for cargo (i.e., your signs). Unlike other the hybrids, the A/C in the FEH/MMH/MTH does not run when in EV mode except on the Max A/C setting, which you would probably want to use when driving clients around.

Old 07-21-2008, 06:49 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Escape_from_Hanover
Unlike other the hybrids, the A/C in the FEH/MMH/MTH does not run when in EV mode except on the Max A/C setting, which you would probably want to use when driving clients around.
That sentence ends up (I'm sure accidentally) being a bit misleading... when in Max A/C mode the A/C will run... but the engine will be forced on and it will not be in EV mode at all. Still I think its a pretty good compromise.... It would be nicer to have temp control and it would shut down until the temp got above a certain place... but manual isn't too annoying.

The sentence implies that in Max A/C you are still in EV mode...

Old 07-28-2008, 03:04 PM
Active Enthusiast

My wife (realtor) really enjoys driving our Camry Hybrid and gets about 36-38 MPG out of it without even trying hard (I get 41+ by focusing on MPG, but NOT using advanced hypermiling techniques).

Another option to consider would be the Highlander Hybrid, although you'll probably go up about $10K in price from a Camry Hybrid, it's a BIG step up in room and luxury. Also a drop of about 10MPG.

Old 08-29-2008, 02:38 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

A/C is going to adversely affect your FE regardless of what you drive. Better to get just good FE in a hybrid than terrible FE in a SUV or big luxury car.

JMHO, as always.