Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

The "Air Car", a car that runs on compressed air

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 09:53 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default The "Air Car", a car that runs on compressed air

Did anyone catch that segment on a recent Discovery Channel show about "Future Fuels"? There is info about it all over the net now, from CNN, The BBC, etc. Here is the website of the company in France that is making it. Incredible

http://theaircar.com/

Old 03-31-2007, 11:01 AM
Engineering first
Wink Re: The "Air Car", a car that runs on compressed air

Hi,
Originally Posted by TheBundo
Did anyone catch that segment on a recent Discovery Channel show about "Future Fuels"? There is info about it all over the net now, from CNN, The BBC, etc. Here is the website of the company in France that is making it. . . .
You might take a look at the "energy density" of various forms:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_density

Originally Posted by Wiki
. . .
46.9 - gasoline
. . .
0.27-0.306 - Zinc-bromine flow battery
0.27 - compressed air at 20 bar
0.22 - NiMH battery
. . .
Our gasoline powered hybrids have more than two orders of magnitude more energy available. Even after thermodynamic losses, 1/3d, we're still in the 18 MJ/kg range, just under two orders of magnitude.

Bob Wilson

Old 06-01-2007, 04:12 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: The "Air Car", a car that runs on compressed air

I also did an interview with JP Maeder, head of ZEVCAT, an anacronym for Zero Emissions Vehicle Compressed Air Technology, out of Northern CA who talks alot about the promise of this technology. You can listen to this interview at http://www.nextgearshow.com/1721/zev...nd-the-air-car

Old 06-05-2007, 08:59 AM
Enthusiast

Burmmer... I should have got the patent! One day in Junior High when I was really bored, I thought that it might be possible to power a car on compressed air. I had it all figured out in my head... a small lawn-mower type of engine ran a compressor and the hood area was filled with storage tanks. I never really knew if you could get highway speeds out of something like that, but in my head it totally replaced gasoline engines... and that was back when gasoline was hovering around $1 per gallon!

Old 06-05-2007, 05:50 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
Hi,
You might take a look at the "energy density" of various forms:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_density

Our gasoline powered hybrids have more than two orders of magnitude more energy available. Even after thermodynamic losses, 1/3d, we're still in the 18 MJ/kg range, just under two orders of magnitude.

Bob Wilson
I wonder if a small, light fuel cell that burned gasoline could be designed and then used in an electric vehicle to provide the necessary electricity for its operation. Given what this air car is supposed to be capable of doing and that I would expect that fuel cells would require large amounts of time to start, I suppose that such a vehicle could be designed to use compressed air to operate acceptably while the fuel cell starts after having been deactivated.

Old 02-06-2015, 08:36 PM
Enthusiast
Smile Re: The "Air Car", a car that runs on compressed air

The MDI AirPod Compressed air car is gonna be launched in Hawaii later this year. If the vehicle gains good response, we can see compressed air supplying stations cropping up like gas stations.

http://www.indiancarsbikes.in/cars/t...etails-112418/

Do you think Air Cars can be just as viable and practical as a regular pure EV?

Old 02-13-2015, 07:47 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Do you think Air Cars can be just as viable and practical as a regular pure EV?

Only if you can change the Laws of Physics.

Old 07-24-2016, 09:09 PM
Enthusiast

It's good to see that the scientists and researchers aren't resting on their laurels about what can and can't be used to power our vehicles, although I'm not sure anything else chemically created will be as "clean" as the hydrogen or compressed air option.