Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

AndyT you are in my sights

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2004, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

I imagine that Stevo is safe. The best my gauge ever reads on flat ground with the air off at 45 mph is high 30's. I might be able to get perhaps 2 more mpgs with the air off this fall but winter is gonna kill it......Well maybe not. The HCH is due in November and the Vette is likely going away.

The comparison to "flower" is totally not fair at this point. Stevo has a whole winter dragging him down and "Knight Rider" is almost near the peak. I don't stand a chance long term.

Old 09-10-2004, 04:09 PM
Enthusiast

Congrats to Lakedude! You are in the lead. But it is cooling down here in Texas so we'll see at the end of September!

BTW-OT comment: Texas has had a really freaky summer. Only one day over 100F in Dallas and that was in July. Today I woke up and it was below 60F! It is unnatural!

However, I have nothing to complain about looking at the weather Jason is dealing with!

Old 09-11-2004, 03:34 PM

Aircondtioning is the devil! I've further refined my Hyper-miler techniques and added driving with the air off in 87 degree heat to the list. My gauge is showing a record tank of over 38mpg! The gauge has been up to 10% high so the actual result will end up around 34-36 mpg. The tank is not perfect, one 18 mile trip had air and I drove too fast on one 30 mile trip.

This record tank shoud make me an offical Hyper-miler in style.

Got a couple long trips coming up and it is gonna kill my next couple tanks cause I'm not driving 4 hours with the air off and I'm not willing to go 240 miles at 45mph. 18 miles with no air at 45mph is liveable, it is one half hour of hyper-miler bliss. 240 miles is just too long to maintain. Cruise is going on 69 and the climate control is going on. I expect about 26-27 mpg actual on the trip.

Old 09-14-2004, 01:31 AM

I just drove 240 miles at 78mph with the air on the whole way. Still I'll be posting a record tank for Knight Rider this next weekend anyway, guess how?

Age and trechery!

I'll give you a hint.....I drove the 240miles with a 300 lb Jet Ski in the back....
.Give up?
Knight Rider is at home. I drove the pickup.

Old 09-29-2004, 12:08 PM

Looks like that 70mph trip with cruise knocked me out for September. Still 29mpg is well over the 27 highway the car is rated at, without even trying. The poor car was even hot rodded a bit to impress a girl half my age.

Airconditioning and youth are the devil!