Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

Anyone trying to improve their Guzzler-pickup,SUV

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 02:07 PM
MPG FANATIC WITH GUZZLERS
Default Re: Anyone trying to improve their Guzzler-pickup,SUV

Lakedude,a Vette fanatic buddy of mine has been telling me for years that Vettes are capable of very good hy mpg-since soon after they switched from carbs to FI with sensors.The last few years I think the hy ratings are 25 mpg plus.This probably means that some of you folks could get 30+ mpg hy.This is almost beyond belief for a 4 second(latest ones 4.3 ??) 0-60 car.
We are kinda stuck with 3 vehicles-2 of which are guzzlers.The Prizm-chevy badged corolla-is just fine-the Titan and the Pilot are 12-15 mpg city vehicles.Unfortunately we frequently have to use all 3 at once.We bias our driving toward the Prizm-try to get home to do handoffs of it-but sometimes all three are in service.
The Titan we use for all sorts of stuff-hauling topsoil-concrete-motorcycles etc.It also has to take me to school-UNO-when wife or son have the Prizm.It is a 31 mile roundtrip-2+ gallons at the usual 14-15 mpg.If I can manage 18- mpg with it in the city,it will be a huge improvement.
Same story with the Pilot.The big vehicles are also our evac vehicles and our high water vehicles-we have street flooding regularily after heavy rains.
This forum will has given me some very useful info.Someday the Prizm will be traded for a Prius,but not too soon,the Prius will have to drop in price a bit and te demand will have to ease.Maybe when the HYBRID Altima and Hybrid Camry come out the Prius will loose a bit of heat.Those 2 will be a bit more versatile than the little Prius,so maybe some more used Prius will come on the market(at better prices than currently-maybe $15000 for a 50000 mile 2004).Thanks.Charlie

Old 09-15-2005, 04:10 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Anyone trying to improve their Guzzler-pickup,SUV

I'm getting 26mpg from my 97 Ford f-150 4WD long bed by using the same driving techniques I use on my Civic.