Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

Backing into the garage?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 07:57 AM
Banned
Default Re: Backing into the garage?

I agree, lars-ss.

In my case, I need to clear the garage to avoid backing into things.

Old 12-19-2005, 03:04 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

Originally Posted by lars-ss
The point of backing into the garage is that you do more driving when the engine is hot and less "non productive hypermiling" in the morning when it's cold. In other words, the act of leaving in the morning with the engine cold now becomes faster, since you just start up and go forward; there are not multiple manouvers.

A perfectly valid point I think.
I agree that in some cases backing in might save a bit of gas. Schwa has it right when he says that it depends on your situation. I think the "backing in saves gas" crowd is assuming that everyone's situation is the same as their own.

In my case I'd need to stop my car (losing momentum), turn my car on from a FAS using extra gas, be extra careful backing in and then have trouble getting in and out of the car once in the garage. All this to avoid an easy turn around the next trip out. I'm 100% sure backing in is not worth it in my case.

Old 12-19-2005, 06:01 PM
G.H. Contributor
Lightbulb Re: Backing into the garage?

Originally Posted by rigger
I know it probably wasn't me that said it but I did say it a few weeks ago here on one thread or another. Anyway, I am able to glide down the last 100 feet of my road then swing in at an angle to the right. Then I pop the car into reverse and another 40 feet into the garage. I don't have to do the creeping manuvering most people have to do so the whole process is maybe 7-10 seconds.

If I were to back out of my garage I have to do a bit more manuvering but it IMO a warm engine is more efficient than a cold engine. So if I have to spend that extra 7-10 seconds (maybe a tad more back out of the garage) I "might" be saving some gas. On the other hand, that extra 7-10 seconds (maybe more) just might be what I need to get me (my car warm enough) to go into autostop while I wait 3-7 minutes to find a place to accelerate like a madman in traffic when a tiny opening shows itself. (0-70mph)

Actually my MASTER PLAN in the next year is building a new garage with doors on both sides! Pull in; Pull out. (before anyone comes up with the "That's stupid, why would you do that?". I spend mucho time in the garage and it'll create a nice and breezy open garage for when I'm working in there.
Hey AL; I like the two-Door Garage Thing:

Very-Cool

Terry

Old 12-19-2005, 06:11 PM
G.H. Contributor
Talking Re: Backing into the garage?

lakedude; Are you sure about that Backing into the Garage Reply?

"I'm 100% sure backing in is not worth it in my case." Statement By lakedude

You seem like your Not-Really Sure, A Little Vague (If-You-Will)

lakedude, Just trying to put a little Humor in this:

Terry

Old 12-20-2005, 01:02 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

--

Last edited by xcel; 12-02-2007 at 07:41 PM.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:44 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

I always find two spaces (end to end) and pull thru to the second spot in parking lots. This saves a bit of gas and is safer because you never need to back up.

Old 12-20-2005, 05:58 PM
Active Enthusiast

For my own situation, I have to disagree with Wayne... with the way my drive is configured, in order to back into the garage I have to stop, reverse, stop, pull forward, stop, reverse (sometimes more) If my daughter's car is in the drive, it can take several iterations to get lined up correctly. When I pull directly into the garage, however, I back out (turning as I go), stop, put it in gear and go... since reverse is in EV on the HiHy, the ICE tends to come on about the time I'm turned around anyway so FOR ME, this is the best situation.

So far as where/how to park at work... there are no spaces where you can "pull though" and with the electric for reverse, I just haven't seen the benefit of backing into a space at work either.

Old 12-20-2005, 11:44 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

For me, since my house is situated on a slope, pulling into my garage is simply a matter of rolling down my street at 25mph trying to draw as much regen charge as I can. I can roll into my driveway on momentum alone (actually, I have to brake even after rolling up the driveway). Backing in would require braking, then reversing uphill quite a ways onto the driveway. Also, Leaving my driveway, if I'm feeling obsessive, I can creep backward in neutral, get onto the street, then start and go. Since I have to turn and go up a fairly long incline on a cold engine no matter what, a bit of extra forward momentum won't help by much.