Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

Beat the EPA on a Road trip

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 01:54 PM
HypoFueler
Default Beat the EPA on a Road trip

Took the family (four of us) to visit Grandma in Chicagoland last weekend (~375mi from Columbus Ohio).

Tires at 44psi, ran 65-70mph using CC and had the AC on both ways.

49.7/51.0 mpg to/from Chicago - these hybrids are pretty good.

Old 05-15-2007, 07:49 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Beat the EPA on a Road trip

sigh, if only my trips were that direction. I go from Columbus to Annapolis (420 miles), so the terrain is a major bad thing...If I average 65-70 mph I only get about 40-45 mpg, though my tires had been at 36 psi for those trips

I finally got around to inflating my tires to 41 psi. I think its made a huge improvement. My last trip I averaged 52 mph (wow it took forever) and got 61 mpg. No A/C (though it was 80 degrees, I just used vent air on full blast). I was at 64 mpg for a while but then I think I hit some winds. I would infate to 44, or more, but on those long inclines down the mountains (at very fast speeds) I don't want them them to overheat and blow out? My dad told me not to infate them to max, though I wanted to!

You got some very good numbers for those speeds with A/C! I still havn't hit 3,000 miles yet on my odometer. Maybe my car is still breaking in.

Old 05-15-2007, 08:16 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Carl, how do you find the ride with 44 psi. You must have real good road surface in you neck of the woods? That is great FE. H

Old 05-16-2007, 04:58 AM
Active Enthusiast

[quote=owlmaster08;125049] I would infate to 44, or more, but on those long inclines down the mountains (at very fast speeds) I don't want them them to overheat and blow out? quote]

Your tires actually run cooler at higher inflation pressure than the factory pressure. If you go to the tire manufacturer sites they usually have a little hint to inflate higher than normal for long highway trips. Don't worry about a blowout, you can't inflate them high enough, blowouts happen from underinflation and heat buildup.

Wayne

Old 05-16-2007, 10:43 AM
HypoFueler

Originally Posted by Harold
Carl, how do you find the ride with 44 psi. You must have real good road surface in you neck of the woods? That is great FE. H
I aired up to 44psi the first week I got the car, so its what I am used to.

My Wife and kids did not seem to mind the ride - I70 and I65 are pretty decent highways, though some rougher portions you could feel (and see FE drop).

Thanks on the FE - plenty of opportunities to draft in a convoy of trucks using this route and most of them are going 65-70mph. I did notice most other cars were going 75mph+....

Old 05-16-2007, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by FireEngineer

Your tires actually run cooler at higher inflation pressure than the factory pressure. If you go to the tire manufacturer sites they usually have a little hint to inflate higher than normal for long highway trips. Don't worry about a blowout, you can't inflate them high enough, blowouts happen from underinflation and heat buildup.

Wayne
Thanks. I will make sure to go all the way to 44 psi when I can get around to it.

Old 05-16-2007, 08:27 PM
Energy Independence

Originally Posted by FireEngineer
Don't worry about a blowout, you can't inflate them high enough, blowouts happen from underinflation and heat buildup.Wayne
True. But don't be so sure that it's not POSSIBLE to inflate them high enough to risk blowout. A certain someone I know (who shall remain nameless ), inflated all 4 tires in a vehicle to about 90 PSI. This person did not have/use a gauge, so just judged it - very poorly. The complaint that resulted in this discovery was a harsh ride. I bet!
At this pressure, they could've exploded off the rims AS they were being aired up, let alone while driving.
And, no - it wasn't ME

Old 05-17-2007, 06:58 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I have mine at 51psi (MAX on sidewall) but not for any gains in FE. I noticed little if any going from Honda' recommended tire inflation spec. The ride is a little firmer but the handling has improved... especially in the rain.

Last edited by livvie; 05-18-2007 at 12:20 PM. Reason: 51psi is the MAX psi according to sidewall of tire
Old 05-18-2007, 10:50 AM

We're taking a trip to the Keys soon. We intend to get the best MPG we can (especially with gas near $3/gal. here and well above that down there). I'll check the tires to insure they're at least 40 PSI, we'll keep to the speed limit on CC, and we'll use A/C as little as possible.

Old 05-18-2007, 12:05 PM
Major Uranium Miner

Steve you are correct in your warning about over-inflation.

There may also be insurance and liability issues by knowlingly introducing an unsafe condition.

The tires should never be inflated above the maximum level imprinted on the them. Check each tire if you run different models, the rating may be different.

Quick Reply: Beat the EPA on a Road trip

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands