Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

Because we're interested in MPG

Old 04-28-2004, 05:17 PM
Enthusiast

I just thought that my friends here would find this interesting:

Although I now reside in Nashville, TN., I'm originally from El Paso, TX.

When I was a young teenager, a friend of our family developed a carburetor (actually a fuel system) that made a 1979 Ford Galaxy with a 351 CI engine get over 100 MPGs.

The man was a little paranoid and a little off, but he actually did it and as soon as it became public knowledge and he received his patent for the biggest invention since Thomas Edison's, he was found dead from a narcotic overdose.

Those of us who knew him were sure that he wasn't suicidal and that he was not a drug user. There are many that believe (including myself) that he was eliminated.....

Sound crazy?

Read about it for yourselves at:

http://www.himacresearch.com/books/secret5.html

Old 04-28-2004, 06:59 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

yah, i remember hearing about that. an evaportative carburator or something like that. it evaporates (atomizes) the fuel BEFORE it is delivered to the engine.

Old 04-28-2004, 07:34 PM
BIF
Active Enthusiast

I find it hard to believe, that

A. he was successful in the first place
B. he was "rubbed out" by any organization

Why? Well, follow me for a sec......

If he was successful, why hasn't anybody else invented such a device? After all, there are millions of tinkering garage mechanic types, and millions more engineer-types. Surely some garage types are also engineer types, no? I would think that if he were successful at inventing any type of carburator at all, then somebody else would surely have eventually and independently happened along the same path, even if wholly by accident.

If you're an auto manufacturer or an oil company, why rub somebody out for such an invention? It's far less risky to just steal the invention, then wear him out in court while you make all the money. If you lose, then you settle, and pay him off. Isn't that what the whole Apple/AOL/Microsoft thing was all about? And really, nobody is suffering from it. With the G5 and Mac OS/X (based on the OpenBSD kernel), Apple has the best product they've EVER produced. And Microsoft's Windows/XP, Office 2003, and Windows Server OSs pretty much run the business world.

So as I said, I find this conspiracy theory hard to believe.

Old 04-28-2004, 09:14 PM

Back in the 1960's my uncle bought a new full size Ford passenger car and was suprised that it got upper 20's MPG.
After the first scheduled maintenence it dropped down to about 14.
He brought the car back to the dealer and they assured that his car was working
properly:
That a "mistake" had been made at the factory and they replaced "parts" not meant for the car on his last visit.
They didn't offer any further details even after the (suspected) fuss was thrashed by my uncle.
Suprisingly he is still a "Ford guy".

Steve

Old 04-28-2004, 10:07 PM
BIF
Active Enthusiast

Originally posted by Hot_Georgia_2004@Apr 29th 2004 @ 12:14 AM
Back in the 1960's my uncle bought a new full size Ford passenger car and was suprised that it got upper 20's MPG.
After the first scheduled maintenence it dropped down to about 14.....

....Suprisingly he is still a "Ford guy".
Upper 20's (I take it, 28 or 29 MPG?)....down to 14?

Couldn't there be a number of explanations for this that would rule out "dark and suspcisious" dealings by the service people? After all, people make mathematics mistakes, or fill-up mistakes. I once calculated my gas mileage without realizing that my prior tank wasn't a complete fill-up, thereby invalidating my results until I accounted backward in time to my last "real" fill up and all inputs since that point in time.

I don't mean to doubt your uncle, but y'know, a lot of people think they know their mileage, but they don't physically calculate it with actual math. Or they make mistakes. Or they share the car with another person who's not as meticulous at recordkeeping. The possibilities are nearly endless.

When I had my Corvette, I'd sit in the car after pumping, and calculate my gas mileage to compare with the computer's readout. I've NEVER seen anybody else do the same thing at any gas station I've been to (and I'm a people-watcher; I'd notice this type of activity)...not even in recent weeks when gas prices have gone up significantly. I don't think gas prices are painful enough for people to begin modifying their behavior. If they're not doing it now, were they doing it in the 60's?

Please forgive my "doubting Thomas" post, Mr. Steve. I really don't mean to be a pain....

I dunno; maybe I'm just predisposed to dis-believe conspiracy theories, however much fun they may be for making movies.

:ph34r: <---- look out for the ninja-mechanics. They repel from black-ops helicopters in the middle of the night!

:ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: Oh no, it's too late!

<I'm sooo bad; for this post, my Prius will probably arrive at the dealer un-assembled, with the assembly instructions in Japanese!> :blink:

Old 04-28-2004, 10:43 PM

Hi Bif:
I remember that from some time ago.
Both him and my dad are quite the car buffs and I suppose they would notice such a thing.

Actually at least my dad did track MPG and fuel costs.
I remember WAAAY back...I suppose It was about 1965 and my dad getting really upset on a family trip cuz gas was so expensive at $0.18 per gallon...We drove the Plymouth Belvadere a little further and found it for $0.16.

I know what you mean about folks calculating their mileage (or not).
At my office I tried to find out what most folks get for their MPG to work.
The 10-15 people I asked their only response was something like:
"I'm not sure exactly but I know it's pretty good"

I was wondering where those ninja-mechanics came from!

Steve

Old 04-29-2004, 06:32 AM

Hi All:

___I already linked this article in a thread created by Jason on the EPA’s efforts with its own brand of Super Car vs. the PNGV effort we all spent some serious money on. The article has all kinds of interesting tidbits for you Black Helicopter types to chew on In other words, this is about as close as it gests … Now if only Ford would do something about it and do it right ****ed now!

Super Car: The Tanking of an American Dream

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 04-29-2004, 06:45 AM
Enthusiast

Hey Bif,

I find it hard to believe that you read any of the articles.

Concerning his success ... He WAS successful .... He DID successfully achieve over 100 MPG with the car.

why hasn't anybody else invented such a device?
Because the relationships between Detroit, Washington DC and OPEC are all about dollars.

If you're an auto manufacturer or an oil company, why rub somebody out for such an invention?
It is politically correct to keep the refineries pumping gas that is consumed by the American public at a rate that keeps everyone happy.

Isn't that what the whole Apple/AOL/Microsoft thing was all about?
Apples & Oranges (or IBMs), Bif....

AOL was NOT associated with the ground floor scenario that took place when MS was created. Gates only had to convince one single corporate scenario to get in bed with him. It was not anywhere near as complicated as this internationally & diplomatically driven event.

Furthermore, when all of this went down, congress had just passed legislation driving trillions of dollars into a trade megapolis that would advocate the development and delivery of cleaner air systems, the elimination of leaded fuels and the development of a sloth of government driven financial opportunities bureaucrasizing and departmentalizing the authoritative elements that make you and I pay more each year in vehicle registrations and taxes that fund the inspections of cars that must meet the standards that were already envoked.

If you've ever wondered where campaign dollars come from for your lawmakers and taxspenders, take a look in their back yard, and over your shoulder in the direction of those who are going to make money from all of the government contracts over decades of time. Then, ask yourself if it all were to be stopped immediately by one simple system, how good or bad would that be for the American economy?.... When all these projected jobs and opportunities were being created by a seemingly impossible task of creating clean air vehicles that use little or no fossil fuels.

Old 04-29-2004, 06:51 AM

Hi Tmrpro:

___Where did the car, the HW, and the documentation go? Surely that wasn’t vaporized by a black helicopter with a plasma weapon, right? The car and the HW couldn’t have received a drug over dose if my understanding of automobiles is correct

___I don’t doubt that something was going on but if so, where is the car and its equipment for others to follow along in his footsteps?

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 04-29-2004, 07:51 AM
Enthusiast

Where did the car, the HW, and the documentation go? Surely that wasn’t vaporized by a black helicopter with a plasma weapon, right?
That's a good question that a lot of people like myself have asked.... Where did it go?

The car was thoroughly inspected by respected engineers and these inspections were documented on film by local and national television reporters.

Don't know about the plasma theory, but it would be nice to find out what happened to the vehicle, the fuel system and whatever documentation that may have coincided with the equipment.

But here's a copy of the patent:

US Patent Website - Ogle Patent

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Because we're interested in MPG

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands