Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

Best All-Season LRR Tire

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 08:58 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Best All-Season LRR Tire

I'm looking for new tires for my HCH II and think I've settled on Nokian WR G2s. I've read numerous posts in several threads and want to ask for opinions on the best LRR tire for the HCH II? I need all-seasons b/c my current situation does not allow me to have 2 sets of winter/ summer tires. Any insights from the HCH I, II or Prius people? Anyone else?

Thank You!

Mike

Old 01-24-2008, 10:03 PM
Think green.
Default Re: Best All-Season LRR Tire

Here are a couple of links that might be useful, although they're rather old. (Sorry I didn't have time to post them earlier today.)

http://greenseal.org/resources/repor...resistance.pdf

http://onlinepubs.trb.org/onlinepubs/sr/sr286.pdf
(pages 77-102 deal with low rolling resistance. Lots of info, rather mind-numbing once you've weeded through all of it though.)

I also found a bunch of consumer reviews on the Nokian WR G2's, but alas they were in broken English/Finnish. Lots of it was lost in translation. I think the universal translator was using the word "porridge" in place of "slush".

Old 01-25-2008, 08:23 AM

Thanks for the links, you've been a great help!!

Old 01-25-2008, 08:32 AM
HypoFueler

Bought some Mich MXV4 S8 on sale for about $85 each intalled - replaced my Dunlops. I think they are somewhat higher RR than the Dunlops even though higher pressures allowed/used (50psi vs 42 psi).

Probably lost ~2mpg using the new Michelins, BUT they are way quieter and better traction (in rain or snow).

Have your alignment checked, especially if your old tires wore unevenly or quickly.

Old 01-26-2008, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by spartybrutus
Bought some Mich MXV4 S8 on sale for about $85 each intalled - replaced my Dunlops. I think they are somewhat higher RR than the Dunlops even though higher pressures allowed/used (50psi vs 42 psi).

Probably lost ~2mpg using the new Michelins, BUT they are way quieter and better traction (in rain or snow).

Have your alignment checked, especially if your old tires wore unevenly or quickly.
I noticed when I rotated them last that they didn't seem to ride "right" and were wearing unevenly on the inside. Perhaps the whole negative camber thing?

The Michelins are all-season? How long had you had them (are they "broke in")?

Old 01-27-2008, 05:23 AM
HypoFueler

dont know if they are all season, but in central ohio we dont get feet of snow and the little we got, it handled just fine. have had them ~5k miles.

You may need alignment as well. Dealer did it for me for $70 even though they probably didnt check it when I bought it (and I didnt ask - was "leather drunk")

Old 01-27-2008, 07:19 AM
Engineering Professor

Originally Posted by medicmike
I'm looking for new tires for my HCH II and think I've settled on Nokian WR G2s. I've read numerous posts in several threads and want to ask for opinions on the best LRR tire for the HCH II? I need all-seasons b/c my current situation does not allow me to have 2 sets of winter/ summer tires. Any insights from the HCH I, II or Prius people? Anyone else?

Thank You!

Mike
Mike,

I have the Nokian WRs (has the aggressive tread on both edges and the same rolling resistance as the WRg2) size 185/65HR15 on my 2004 Prius. They are great in snow/ice, are all-weather (50,000 mile tread wear warranty), and indeed should improve your MPG. Attached is my MPG data comparing them to my two previous tires (Goodyear Integrity and Michelin MXV4+ "Energy Saving").

JeffD

Attached Files
File Type: zip
PriusGasMileage.zip (24.3 KB, 363 views)