Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

Best Gas?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 02:15 PM
Part Time Hybrids
Question Best Gas?

Didn't see the question here so i'll ask it> don't bite my head off if there is no such thing as a "best place to fill up" but Is there?

-Have used Mobil regualr fuel for all previous cars simply because everyone say's its higher grade fuel. Friend told me go to exxon because its the same fuel as mobil but cheaper? So my question is will mobil fuel compared to say citgo or exxtramart or local Thortons food mart fuel cause a difference in MPG overall or is all gas equall just priced differently? tnx in advance!

Old 07-21-2006, 02:31 PM
Wannabe Hypermiler
Default Re: Best Gas?

Maybe this thread helps?

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...77.html?page=1

Old 07-24-2006, 03:51 PM
Enthusiast

Sungod18, Keep an eye on the History Channel programing. They have an episode on gasoline. It's all about the history of gas from the time Kerosene replaced Whale oil for lamps.(gasoline was a by product that they dumped it out) To today on how they refine it, ship it, etc. Very interesting. Catch it if you can or buy the DVD.

Old 07-24-2006, 07:21 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I buy at Quck Trip unless out of town where unavailable. I stick to other
Top Tier providers though.

I fillup at the same pump each time to remove pump differences (calibration) from my mpg calculations. Pump 18 at my station. So I use Pump 14 if that one is unavailable at the time. Usually 18 (4 out 5 fillups) and occassionally 14.

I hope this is useful.

Old 07-31-2006, 12:24 AM
Active Enthusiast

Shoot an email off to all the local gas suppliers in your area and ask about sulfur content. I did this and found out Shell gasoline in my area is much lower than all the other brands. It was 30ppm compared to 100+ppm for all other sellers (this was probably over a year ago so I should do it again soon). Sulfur is probably one of the worst components of gasoline because it forms the components of acid rain and also will cause deterioration of catylitic converters. Not that even a few hundered ppm sulfur would cause any major problems, but over time it might add up. California's previous gas standard was for 30ppm anyways, their current blend is down to 20ppm. And the new 2007 diesel standards are really cracking down on sulfur content, which in diesel fuel has historically been much higher.

Also, Shell tends to be the lesser of the evils. They invest in more environmental projects and alternative fuel reserach than any other fuel retailer. Any top tier gasoline will probably be better than a non top tier brand as they have more detergents mixed in to keep fuel systems clean.

Old 07-31-2006, 04:15 AM
Enthusiastically Active

I try to stick to BP. They invest heavily in alternative fuels, even renaming themselves 'Beyond Petroleum' and they get most of their fuel from Western sources. Many of their pumps are also ran by solar panels on the canopy. Enough for me......

Old 07-31-2006, 09:56 AM
Active Enthusiast

Ahh, foregot about BP. Yes they are heavily involved in Solar and other renewables. Too bad there are no BP's near me.

Old 07-31-2006, 12:40 PM
YA RLY.

Out of all the companies listed on www.toptiergas.com, the only one near me is Shell, so that's what goes in my car. If Honda says it's good, that's good enough for me.