Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

Best Mileage VS Gas Station?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 07:22 PM
06 HCH Opal Blue Pearl
Default Best Mileage VS Gas Station?

Has there been a thread on mileage vs where you bought the gas? I have seen some listings under "Compare" that show some really poor mileage from some "off brands" of gas. Is this a trend?

I have only bought from the same station, Diamond Shamrock (probably a Texas brand) since I bought the car. Has anybody changed brands per tank full to get an idea?

Regards,

Bob, Georgetown, TX

ps...fairly new to this, so if its been hashed over..let me know where and I will go take a look. Thanks..

Old 02-06-2006, 07:52 PM
G.H. Contributor
Lightbulb Re: Best Mileage VS Gas Station?

Hi Bob;

Heres the only Links I can find on that Subject.

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...line.5210.html

Or This Link

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...eage.3531.html

HTH;

Terry

Old 02-07-2006, 07:32 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Best Mileage VS Gas Station?

It really doesn't or shouldn't matter where you buy your gas as long as it is rated at 87 octane.

Old 02-07-2006, 07:36 AM
YA RLY.

Search this subforum. Everything you wanted to know about fuels but were afraid to ask.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/...?ubb=forum;f=5

Old 02-07-2006, 08:37 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

MPG already varies so much from tank to tank (even with the same gas) I can't imagine how anyone can compare gas brands.

Old 02-07-2006, 03:25 PM
Hybrid True Believer

I've found there's almost no difference, except for one brand. A no-name gas company called "Carroll Independent Fuel" sells gasoline that seems to deliver a little more bang for the buck.

Old 02-07-2006, 03:38 PM

I find a significant difference from one particular station. I don't know if that's due to where its pumps click off, or if their gas is different. It even seems to be better than others in the same chain with the same owner )which I assume all have the same gas). I figure most likely is the pumps, second possibility is different additives in the winter fuel mix.

Old 03-07-2006, 04:33 AM
Auto Enthusiast

Todd,
I live in Rockville, have a 2002 insight, you are the closest hybrid that I can find. I drive daily to Frederick, 36 miles one way. I get 77-89 mpg depending on the ambiant temp. with spring coming, my mpg is rising.

Bill Campbell

Old 03-07-2006, 05:01 AM
Hybrid True Believer

Bill:

That's *very* good mileage! You obviously know the right techniques to wring every last mile out of a tank of gas. Congratulations!

In my old job, I could get low 50s out of my HCH-I on days that I drove 100% highway and mid-40s on city/highway mix.

I have a new job (in the exciting field of law enforcement) that has me driving only 4.1 miles to the Mitchell Courthouse every day -- at 35 MPH or less, and with about a dozen traffic lights. Now my FE is in the upper 30s.

But I can't complain. I chose the HCH over the Prius initially because the HCH is optimized for highway driving. It's not the car's fault that I got a new job!

My next car will probably be either a Prius, or an EV of some sort (assuming there *are* any by 2008).

On the bright side, I only fill up the tank once per month!

Old 03-07-2006, 05:23 AM

It's a tough nut to crack-

Variations between most brands within a small geographic region are most likey from the pump shutting off at a different point each time.

Some brands (the 'toptier' group) use 8-10% ethanol for all grades. ETOH reduces FE by ~3% for every 10% mixed into gasoline. See this for detail and what I found out about toptier:
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...hlight=toptier

Real variations among brands may exist as some companies pre-emptively add ETOH instead of MTBE, start to distribute low-sulphur fuel in the near future, and generally start to respond at their own paces to new fuel requirements from the 2005 energy act.

If you see a tanker filling the station, go to that tanker company's website (Carroll, Eastern, TGO, etc) and see what brands they carry for clients. They all also carry generic fuel, sold as noname, Osprey, Spirit, etc (around Baltimore).

Not all branded stations are required to carry that brand of fuel- depending on the owner/franchise agreement.

But, if you decide that the fuel at one station seems better for whatever reason, go ahead and stick with it and don't look the gift horse in the mouth!