Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

Bike carrier on the Prius

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 06:04 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Bike carrier on the Prius

I know a PII (Prius II) owner who would carry 2 bikes on a roof rack. Needless to say, the impact on his FE was a disaster.

I carry my bike (weighs less than 20 lbs) in the car.

However, I've noticed several Priuses with off-the-back bike carriers. Realizing this arrangement might impact the back-up camera, I was wondering what such an arrangement would do to the FE considering the carrier is in disturbed air.

centrider

Old 08-20-2006, 07:34 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Bike carrier on the Prius

If you curently carry your bike inside and are aware that outside bike carriers lower FE, then would this arrangement still work for you?

My wife and I have traveled on many long trips visiting over a dozen states with both of our mountain bikes inside, with front wheels off and all of our luggage. The view out the back dual hatchback windows is not blocked at all.

Old 08-20-2006, 09:14 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Bike carrier on the Prius

Originally Posted by singingtiger
If you curently carry your bike inside and are aware that outside bike carriers lower FE, then would this arrangement still work for you?

My wife and I have traveled on many long trips visiting over a dozen states with both of our mountain bikes inside, with front wheels off and all of our luggage. The view out the back dual hatchback windows is not blocked at all.
Thanks, SingingTiger.

I know carrying the bike on a roof rack will just kill FE, but wondered (as I had seen a couple of Priuses) about using an off the back rack.

This past month, my wife and I drove to Vancouver, Canada with the back stuffed with, not only my bike, but also a two man tent, stove, sleeping bags, bags of clothing, boxes of stuff (food, mostly) and it didn't seem to impact FE much. But it did cut off rearward vision.

And, by the way, the temp in Calif. Central Valley was running triple digits.

Anyway, SG, that's my story.

Thanks for your reply.

centrider