Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

On board hydrogen generator

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2006, 10:55 AM
YA RLY.
Default On board hydrogen generator

Anyone ever see this?

http://www.hydrogen-boost.com/

Old 01-27-2006, 11:22 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: On board hydrogen generator

Nope -- linky be broky.

Don

Old 01-27-2006, 11:28 AM
Have hybrid, will travel.

The link worked for me.

I looked into the test results and all of the test results had TWO factors involved in the mileage increase results, mostly tire pressure. In the Neon 5sp (roughly equivalent to an HCH), the mileage increase was similar to what I saw when I increased my tire pressure from 32 to 44.

Smoke and mirrors, if you ask me.

Old 01-27-2006, 11:30 AM
YA RLY.

There was a news story not too long ago about a similar system for class 8 tractors, but it looked more complex than this system.

Old 01-27-2006, 12:33 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

Interesting. I'm not sure I'd be willing to try it, but it does sound like it's got some potential.

Maybe we'd be better off just putting Hydrogen in our gas tanks.

Old 01-27-2006, 01:04 PM
World's First Hybrid

I've seen it. But, not sure if the energy (electricity) needed from onboard batt's to generate the hydrogen is offset by any gains in energy from the ICE output??? In other words, it may take more energy to make the hydrogen than you get out of burning the hydrogen in the ICE....= net loss??? And, because you are using H2O to get hydrogen, the water would freeze solid up here in northern states during winter.....

Also, I would be very leary of safety as well. I was driving an old dodge colt and for some reason the + battery cable shorted to the chassis under the hood near the battery and whole thing exploded into a complete mess. H2SO4 everywhere, engine compartment was trashed.....and so was the car. With all the high voltage ignition stuff, it would not be very safe when installed by a DIY..IMHO.

Old 02-06-2006, 03:45 AM
Hybrid True Believer

I remember something from Jr High school chemistry about some fairly common chemical solution emitting hydrogen when a chunk of zinc was dropped into the mix. Maybe the solution to hydrogen-powered cars lies in implementing stable chemicals and then employing a catalyst to release hydrogen.

Old 02-06-2006, 06:43 AM
World's First Hybrid

Originally Posted by AshenGrey
I remember something from Jr High school chemistry about some fairly common chemical solution emitting hydrogen when a chunk of zinc was dropped into the mix. Maybe the solution to hydrogen-powered cars lies in implementing stable chemicals and then employing a catalyst to release hydrogen.
Yes. This reaction is taking place as we speak in each and every vehicle that has a lead acid battery. Take zinc (electrode) and add sulfuric acid (H2SO4) and you get hydrogen or you could use hydrochloric acid (HCl).

You could also get hydrogen from just plain old hot water and calcium.

All very inefficient methods. Natural gas + steam (reforming) method is probably one of the best ways but it takes a lot of energy, much like electrolysis using barium hydroxide solutions.

Lithium batteries also give off small quantities of hydrogen as well. Mix Li with H2O and you can generate hydrogen, but its a very dangerous reaction, much like dumping pure Na into water which also produces hydrogen and tons of heat.

Old 02-06-2006, 09:54 AM
Engineering first

If anyone seriously wants to experiment with adding H(2) to their engine, be sure it is a car you can afford to 'burn up'. H(2) is not a toy and handling it safely makes playing with gasoline seem safe.

The easiest way to generate a couple of liters of H(2) is the lye-aluminum method. But this is such a bogus experiment, I would prefer not to go any further in discussing what it would take beyond - MAKE SURE IT IS A CAR YOU CAN BURN UP.

Rather than trying to generate H(2) on the fly, consider filling a balloon with H(2) and venting it into the manifold. WARNING: people have had their arm hair, eye brows, and suffered temporary deafness when the H(2) balloon was ignited.

Did I mention, MAKE SURE YOU CAN AFFORD TO BURN UP THE CAR?

If the H(2) balloon should ignite inside the cabin, there is a real risk not only of serious injury and deafness but the windows and windshield may leave the vehicle. Then the vehicle may catch on fire . . . MAKE SURE YOU CAN AFFORD TO BURN UP THE CAR.

If the H(2) ballon should ignite inside the trunk, there is a real risk that the trunk lid will leave the vehicle and the rear seats join the front seats along with injury to the occupants. BTW, make sure it is A VEHICLE YOU CAN AFFORD TO BURN UP.

Now for my idiot cousin, first try H(2) on the car in idle. Open the hood, open the air filter cover and remove the cleaner. Start the car and go fetch the H(2) balloon located at least 10 yards away. With face and ear protection, long slieve shirt and gloves, vent some of the H(2) into the intake manifold. BTW, make sure it is a CAR YOU CAN AFFORD TO BURN UP.

Otherwise, this H(2) generator remains a fraud. The engine will only generate at most, 30% of the energy it takes to generate the H(2). Although H(2) is one of the easiest fuels to ignite, if your car has trouble igniting fuel, it is way past time for a tune-up.

Now let us say you know someone at work who has been an absolute *** about hybrid-electric cars. You know, the type who repeats the hybrid frauds and tries to claim <some other technology> not for sale is superior. That is exactly the type of customer who needs to buy one of these H(2) generators.

Bob Wilson

Old 02-06-2006, 10:00 AM
Active Enthusiast

OK, but do you think it is dangerous?

Quick Reply: On board hydrogen generator

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands