Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

Buyer Beware: Jiffy Lube

Old 10-10-2006, 06:03 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Buyer Beware: Jiffy Lube

Channel 4 did an expose in the LA area on Jiffy Lube:

http://mfile.akamai.com/12924/wmv/vo...52183.200k.asx

I post this in the Fuel Economy/Emissions area because people often make the sort of changes Jiffy Lube offers in order to improve efficiency. I live near Burbank and Glendale and after seeing this, I definitely won't be going to these Jiffy Lubes - but above all, I'm going to try to get to know one mechanic I trust and stick with that person. I may even pay once or twice to verify with another mechanic that certain changes were done.

Of course, those of us still on warranty can mostly avoid this for the time being (assuming the dealer isn't lying too...), but either way - word to the wise.

Old 10-11-2006, 06:59 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Buyer Beware: Jiffy Lube

Interesting report. But I have to say it does not surprise me a bit. At the least I consider them to always try to sell you more than you need. I went to them a few times in the early 80s. I got tired of them always coming out with a white card with different types of oil from my car, explaining that I needed to change the transaxle greasing hydro lubing and vegetable oil every day or 10 miles, whichever comes first.

Old 10-11-2006, 10:31 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

You can go to any place, you should just make sure they have the proper oil for your car. If not, go somewhere else.

Old 10-11-2006, 02:06 PM
Active Enthusiast

The link doesn't work for me??

Originally Posted by SoopahMan
Channel 4 did an expose in the LA area on Jiffy Lube:

I post this in the Fuel Economy/Emissions area because people often make the sort of changes Jiffy Lube offers in order to improve efficiency. I live near Burbank and Glendale and after seeing this, I definitely won't be going to these Jiffy Lubes - but above all, I'm going to try to get to know one mechanic I trust and stick with that person. I may even pay once or twice to verify with another mechanic that certain changes were done.

Of course, those of us still on warranty can mostly avoid this for the time being (assuming the dealer isn't lying too...), but either way - word to the wise.

Old 10-11-2006, 05:14 PM

Hm you're right I can't get that link to work in Internet Explorer but it works perfectly in Firefox - how strange.

Here's another try?

You could also try:
mms://a931.v12924a.c12924.g.vm.akama...52183.200k.wmv

Firefox's Media Player Connectivity extension found that for me.

Old 10-11-2006, 05:26 PM

From the report it sounds mostly like they got ripped off when they were offered some extra service, and agreed to it. I'd be interested in knowing in how many cases people got ripped when actually doing the basic oil change service alone (ie, using old oil, cheaper grade oil instead of synthetic etc) -- which probably does happen, but not as much as in the case of those "extras".

Old 10-11-2006, 07:05 PM

But changing an oil filter isn't an unnecessary frill... it really is important to do occasionally to keep your car running nicely.

In any case, these places have lost my business - it's funny because I was sent this by a friend who lives in Georgia who didn't even realize I lived so close to the Jiffy Lubes caught in the act.

Old 10-23-2006, 08:14 PM

I used to work for a Jiffy Lube in the Pittsburgh area (Store #293) from Oct '03-Oct '04 and during this time we were made aware of several "hidden camera" schemes by people and I think the one when I was employed was from a nighttime news show (60 Minutes I believe but it may have been another). This did not impact our store though as we were more-than-honest with customers. I did not work everyday or every hour of the work week but all of my fellow Technicians were never dishonest about the service. In fact, I was there just today to get my winter wheels mounted (switched out the summer wheels+tires for winter wheels+tires).

There are always shops that are somewhat dishonest or try to get away with things when the boss is not there. Our shop (and all other local Pittsburgh Jiffy Lube facilities) have video cameras networked to the local Head office which is recorded for all sorts of reasons. It actually made no sense to sell someone a $9.95 Air filter but not put it in because that person tells a friend who tells a friend, etc. You lose $1,000s in business from saving $10 -- just not worth it. We were instructed to bring the actual air filter to the customer when performing the service review so the customer could see it themselves rather than just taking our word for it. We did not have vials of their fluids though some places do that.

There were some cars that "showed" on the windshield oil change sticker that they had 2,000 miles on the previous oil change but when removing the filter the oil looked as clear as new oil. The Technician performing the service under the car would mention this to the Tech performing the review and we would ask the customer when the last time they had their oil changed and that it looked extremely new and that we can change it if they desire. Some people only drive 2 miles a week so in a year they put on less than 1,000 miles but come in every 3 months anyway.

Other items were in performing a transmission fluid change or transaxle fluid change (or other fluid changes on 4-wheel or All-Wheel drive vehicles). Sometimes the drain plug is stripped or the tranny pan gasket is already cracked or there is a previous leak that we did not want to be blamed for or it was previously filled with the incorrect fluid, etc. We would note all of these for our own CYA but also to inform and teach the customer about their own automobile. We wanted repeat customers because a store made incentives off of extra items sold (wipers, air filters, cabin air filters, tire rotations, etc.).

We were not allowed to force these extra items (or primary items), push for these, insist they need performed, etc. but were only allowed to refer the customer to the "Manufacturer's Recommended Service Intervals." If, for instance, this was a new customer then we had no idea when the last tranny fluid change was performed or how old the air filter was or when the tires were rotated. Sometimes the customer had no clue or it was their spouse's vehicle. Some people think that when showing the "Recommended Intervals" they thought we were pushing them to get everything done at that time while others understood our viewpoint.

All in all - most customers going through there understood the situation. There are always a few bad apples and they really ruin it for everyone else. I had a great time there and learned a TON about simple maintenance that I could not have learned otherwise. I don't miss working there but at the same time I miss seeing what Manufacturer's have better designs than others (I hated the Toyota 4-cyl oil filter right under the front of the motor and near the exhaust headers, I hated the VW filter on the Beetle Turbo [my wife has one and brought it in frequently, nuf said], I hated the early '00s Honda 4-cyl and the filter above the rear exhaust manifold, I hated the Toyota Tacoma or 4-Runner oil filter [forget] that was accessed through the driver's side wheel well and sometimes this required removing the wheel).

If I were in CA then I would be wary of visiting those shops and either purchase simple things that can be verified (air filter, cabin air filter, tire rotation, wipers, etc.) and then before leaving the lot make sure the wipers were snug or the lug nuts were snug or just watch them perform it. If you can find a mechanic or shop and keep going to them then that would be a good choice as well. Anyone near Pittsburgh can contact me as my local Jiffy Lube is aware of my car, its oil, the filter, etc. They also know we don't stop until 8,000+ miles roll past the odometer (some are ecstatic and some miss the income).

Old 10-24-2006, 01:04 AM

Yes, I should mention a caveat about this video - I'm learning that unique to LA is a willingness to rip you off, matched only by some parts of NYC. The attitude that cheating people out of their money rather than doing a good job is a good idea is more prevalent here than anyplace else I've been. So I'm not trying to suggest that Jiffy Lube in general has this problem, and Flash it's good to hear that it probably isn't true of other areas - and I hope you could take pride in a job well done at your prior position. It appears from the looks of it that this LA Jiffy Lube problem is endemic since the TV station was able to catch even the manager lying, before they'd even made clear their reason for being there or made any accusations - that says complicity like little else.

When my warranty runs out I'll be finding a good mechanic and verifying the first few jobs with other mechanics. In the meantime I admit that I worry that Toyota dealerships closest to me may not act professionally as is par for LA - I'm debating checking that work as well. Something they skip that screws the car up in 3 years doesn't benefit them, but skipping something that screws it up in 10 does nothing but screw me.

Old 10-24-2006, 04:56 AM
Active Enthusiast

[QUOTE=Flash]..............I hated the Toyota 4-cyl oil filter right under the front of the motor and near the exhaust headers]

Is this the curent 4 cylinder engine used in the 2007 Camry/ Camry Hybrid?

Curious to know what the problem was, I'm quessing it's difficult to avoid getting burned working close to the exhaust headers?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Buyer Beware: Jiffy Lube

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands