Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Fuel Economy & Emissions (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/fuel-economy-emissions-22/)
-   -   Calling all MD/PA/D.C. Hyper-Milers (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/fuel-economy-emissions-22/calling-all-md-pa-d-c-hyper-milers-6561/)

MotorWeek Producer 03-28-2006 01:32 PM

Calling all MD/PA/D.C. Hyper-Milers

I am searching for Hyper-Milers living in the Maryland/D.C. / Pennsylvania areas who would be interested in participating in taping a segment on this topic for air on the PBS/SPEED series "MotorWeek". I need an articulate Hyper-Miler spokesperson(s) who would be willing to take our cameras along for a ride and talk about how to achieve Hyper-Miler status.

Thanks,
Dave Scrivener
Producer
MotorWeek

bwilson4web 03-28-2006 01:53 PM

Re: Calling all MD/PA/D.C. Hyper-Milers

Originally Posted by MotorWeek Producer
I am searching for Hyper-Milers living in the Maryland/D.C. / Pennsylvania areas who would be interested in participating in taping a segment on this topic for air on the PBS/SPEED series "MotorWeek". I need an articulate Hyper-Miler spokesperson(s) who would be willing to take our cameras along for a ride and talk about how to achieve Hyper-Miler status.

Ahem, just announce a 'rally' and you'll probably have more than you need. <GRINS> So DC is only 14 hours from Huntsville . . .

Do you film on weekends or are you after a good dose of RT 50 Friday afternoon / beltway Monday morning / I-66 into the sunset drive?

Bob Wilson

tbaleno 03-28-2006 01:57 PM

I believe one of the marathon team members is in PA.

ofhs93 04-18-2006 08:10 AM

Can someone define Hyper-Miler?
I consistently get 50+ MPG in my 99.5 Jetta TDI whilst setting the cruise at 75 on the highway...My daily cxommute is about 125 miles round trip consisting of probably 80-85% highway. I know there are MANY active TDI owners in the area you are looking that can match or beat my numbers.

merigayle 04-18-2006 08:49 AM

I am not sure if I am a "hypermiler" but I drive an Insight CVT. I live in the greater Philly area. I have gotten suburb mileage upwards of 52-55 mpg and hwy of 60-70. I have only had mine for a month and a half, so i am still learning and getting better gas mileage each day. Filled up for the second time this weekend, almost 1000 miles. :shade:

brick 04-18-2006 08:55 AM

If you maintain average fuel economy above EPA combined, I believe that makes you a "hypermiler." I think a "valedictorian hypermiler" is defined at 20% above EPA highway or something like that. That's hard. :)

gonavy 04-18-2006 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by ofhs93
Can someone define Hyper-Miler?
I consistently get 50+ MPG in my 99.5 Jetta TDI whilst setting the cruise at 75 on the highway...My daily cxommute is about 125 miles round trip consisting of probably 80-85% highway. I know there are MANY active TDI owners in the area you are looking that can match or beat my numbers.

The definition use in the mileage database (note on the right side of the screen):

Hypermiler!
The driver of this car has achieved "hypermiler" status. To qualify, a car must have higher fuel economy than EPA estimates over more than 3,000 miles. The EPA city/highway figures are weighted for each car. If no percentages are specified, 55/45% is default.

------

More generally, anyone who achieves fuel economy gains to exceed the EPA estimates, employing any of a number of techniques that may or may not be 'normal' to most.

Adam_HybridCivic 04-19-2006 07:36 PM

...You can count me in...just tell me when and where and if I don't know how to get there I'll use the Navi!