Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

Can someone educate me on gas and ethanol?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 07:28 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Can someone educate me on gas and ethanol?

I guess the ethanol blend is only required in the winter (for Denver and some other front range cities). However, state officials are considering ending this program.

http://www.denverpost.com/portlet/ar...rticle=3276866

I do like good --maybe I'll stop by.

Thanks.

Old 07-30-2006, 05:19 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by worthywads
Mr. Kite
Originally Posted by worthywads
Just wondering if you ever got up to Boulder to try the ethanol free gas? I'm using it exclusively with excellent results.

I did--twice. My last tank in the Odyssey used the 100%. It was my best tank since I've been recording data. This is partially because it had more highway trips, but I also was very impressed with the fuel economy on a camping trip. There were four of us and lots of camping gear in the van.
I started at about 5,200ft. Went as high as 11,300ft and then back down to 9,000ft. I drove around a few miles and the next day made the return trip. It was all interstate and highway and I had the AC the entire time. I averaged 26.4mpg over 190.3 miles.

My current tank in my Civic is also using the 100%. It has been difficult for me to notice a difference so far in the car.

Thanks for the tip. For now, I will keep trying it if it's not too inconvenient when I need to fill up.

Old 08-09-2006, 07:37 PM
Active Enthusiast

If that study is accurate then using real gas is actually worse for the environment, even if it's better for your gas mileage. The decline in gases linked to global warming is larger than the amount of decline in gas mileage. Might be better to just drive with ethanol blend if you are concerned about global warming and pollution.

Old 08-09-2006, 08:27 PM
Enthusiast

It seems as of lately, or should I say the last couple of years that my vehicles, Honda Civic ex 94' and Chevrolet Suburban have not been getting the gas milelage they use to. And I know that happens when a vehicle ages and all but from what I've read, the promises of Ethanol might not benefit overall gas mileage improvement.

It may burn cleaner, but now that I have a Hybrid I'm more concern with better gas mileage.(MTBE toxic to air and water supply)
There is an article in the July 2006 'CAR and DRIVER' magazine on pg 112. You might want to check that out.
Try the webpage it might be available on-line.

PPD