Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

Can't add tank to DB?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 06:05 AM
09 SpectraMicaBlue Prius
Default Can't add tank to DB?

The banner states the DB is being upgraded with no interruption of functionality, but I can't find the "add tank" option anymore when viewing my car's stats.

Any status on when feature will be on again?

Old 01-29-2009, 06:34 AM
Engineering first
Default Re: Can't add tank to DB?

Hi,

I just checked and found:
  1. Click on "Compare tab" - left side should show your username
  2. Click on "Manage My Cars" - should show page with your vehicle selection button and 'add tank' button
  3. Click on vehicle and 'add tank' button - should show tank entry form
  4. Enter data - should update your record
If this fails, we need to know which vehicle and we'll forward it to Internet Brands for resolution. We know there is work being done on the database so some disruption is possible but we'll make sure they know about it. To let us know which vehicle, go to your existing vehicle record and "cut and paste" the URL in your browser in a message to us. This allows us to identify your specific set of database records.

My apologies for any problem but the best we can do is make sure it is forwarded to the database team.

Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 01-29-2009 at 06:36 AM.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:16 AM
Think green.

Also, make sure you are logged in first, or the option for "Manage My Cars" won't be visible to you.

Old 01-29-2009, 10:15 AM
09 SpectraMicaBlue Prius

I'm logged in, clicked on manage my vehicle which takes me to:
https://www.greenhybrid.com/compare/.../car/7671.html
but I don't see any way to add a tank.

I tried it in IE and Firefox, no "add" feature visible.

Thanks for checking on it.

Tovli

Old 01-29-2009, 11:55 AM
rgx
Active Enthusiast

tovli,

don't worry, you are not stupid and every other user on this site is not understanding something that you don't. I have the same behaviour. Also verified in MS IE and Firefox, both Linux and Windows. It's a bug. There must be some problem with the session control, so after logon it doesn't recognise you are logged in. It will show the same page as before, with "Login" button and all. That's also why the links to "Manage my cars" etc. are not displayed. Same happens if you logon via the discussion forum, then select the milage db. If you switch back again to the discussion forum, you can verify that you are in fact logged on.

You can make it work by selecting "Remember me" - or rather make it appear to work - the bug is still there. I guess it will repeat logon until the site recognises that you are logged on. As for me, I will not select "Remember me", don't like the idea of a script storing my user and password, most likely unencrypted, on the disk. While waiting for the next release of milage db, I am recording all tanks in a spreadsheet (which I use to anyway).

I have written about the problem here:
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...atabase-17386/

Old 01-29-2009, 12:15 PM
Think green.

Rolf, you're right.
I tried unclicking "Remember Me" on the log in screen, and it doesn't not show the "Manage My Cars" link. If I click the "Remember Me" back on, I can see "Manage My Cars".
I suppose we could temporarily click on "Remember Me", add our latest tank, then unclick "Remember Me" when we're finished.
Something's definitely different than it was before the "upgrade".

Old 01-29-2009, 06:59 PM
Engineering first

I logged out and back in and if I failed to click "Remember me," I could not do anything with the database.

Speculation on my part but if your browser security also blocks 'cookies,' even clicking "Remember me" might not work.

If you clicked on "Remember me," let me know and the type of browser and I'll try to replicate the problem.

Bob Wilson

Old 01-30-2009, 05:04 AM
09 SpectraMicaBlue Prius

Sorry folks but I've invested enough debug time already - This is my last post about this problem.

I use IE 6.0.2900 SP2 update.
This website shows up in "Internet Zone"
There are no sites being blocked.

(it is not blocking anything when logged into my compare mileage page. The browser is blocking 6 ad sites when I am logged into other greenhybrid.com pages.
ads.revsci.net...?activate...
pix04.revsci.net...
anrtx.tacoda.net...
ads.revsci.net..?record
C7.zedo.com...
pixel.rubiconproject.com...
)

I have cleared cookies, history, stored pages including offline content.

Also clicking log off brings a message from the Furry Green Monstor: "There was an error logging you off, click here to log off".

I'm done. I have been keeping track on my PDA in a spreadsheet so only time is lost.

Last edited by tovli; 01-30-2009 at 05:11 AM.
Old 01-30-2009, 06:42 AM
Engineering first

Thank you for the clue. I have a similar problem with AT&T and their xDSL service.

My Mac has these browsers:
  • Camino - no web e-mail login (similar to Firefox)
  • Firefox - no web e-mail login
  • Safari - the only web e-mail that works
  • Internet Explorer - does not even render pages
I've been resistant to the hypothesis that web server software is browser specific. Obviously, I have to revise my thinking and see what we can do for regression testing (testing earlier browsers to find out what works or doesn't.)

I'm sorry for the problem and will see what can be done to improve testing or better yet, problem detection and reporting. It is difficult for software developers to realize that services need to be universal and not specific to one operating system or browser.

I fully understand the need to preserve the data and loading it onto your own device is certainly a good practice. I too make a periodic backup by doing a 'web save' so I can recover my data quickly. Absence of local archive of critical web mail is what may soon move me off of hotmail.

Bob Wilson