Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Fuel Economy & Emissions (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/fuel-economy-emissions-22/)
-   -   Catalytic converter (Civic hybrid 2003) (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/fuel-economy-emissions-22/catalytic-converter-civic-hybrid-2003-a-22699/)

greenneck 09-24-2009 06:41 AM

Catalytic converter (Civic hybrid 2003)

:shade:Catalytic converter (cc) died at 89,000. My barnyard mechanic says no need to fix; performance and emissions not significantly different. My dealer mechanic says car will shudder to a halt soon, when and where i least want.
So, necessary to fix cc? This state has no emissions/testing standards (groan), so that's not an issue. I care about both economy and environment tho. if replacement recommended, any suggestions for brand/cost/source?

electriclamb 09-24-2009 11:59 AM

Re: Catalytic converter (Civic hybrid 2003)

Originally Posted by greenneck (Post 211229)
:shade:Catalytic converter (cc) died at 89,000. My barnyard mechanic says no need to fix; performance and emissions not significantly different. My dealer mechanic says car will shudder to a halt soon, when and where i least want.
So, necessary to fix cc? This state has no emissions/testing standards (groan), so that's not an issue. I care about both economy and environment tho. if replacement recommended, any suggestions for brand/cost/source?

Try cleaning or replacing the O2 sensors first. They are pretty easy to get to (I have the same car as you do.) Clean the sensors with a propane torch. Get them cherry red (be careful not to burn the wires!) and then let them cool down, then reinstall. Reset your computer by removing the neg cable for 60 seconds and then drive around for a few days to see what happens next.

Also if the 12volt battery is original or in bad shape replace it with a bigger new one. All the 12v battery does is turn on the lights and run the computers, but if the battery is getting funky it will cause the computer to throw all sorts of wrong codes. I think the computer uses the 12v as a reference when measuring other sensor outputs. If it's not stable enough it sends out nutty things.

I also prefer Honda original parts to other brands. Honda QC is way more strict than the Chinese knockoffs that are significantly cheaper. What code was thrown in your computer? Make sure you know what Honda says it means and not just guess at it. Honda cc's are big bucks!

suly 10-09-2009 05:07 PM

I wrote on this sight while paying for the 3rd catalitic converter and was not happy. The first 2 were under warrenty, this last one they charge me 1/2, about $800. I had a recal letter from Honda and wrote a letter to Honda of America after my dealer would do nothing. Long story short, I just received a check from Honda of America for the cost of the cc and one from the dealer for the labor. This is a flaw in this 2003 civic and they know it! Write! Complain! and get it fixed

ahmadsaleh 07-26-2010 03:03 AM

HELLO<
MY CAR IS HONDA CIVIC HYBRID
THE MPG IS twinty eight only
plz help me

GreenBoy 08-07-2010 11:27 PM

Thanks God I never had any problem such that till now. Although, I've heard from people around me about it and some of them compared it to ford with 4 catalytic converters and 190,000 miles, and never had a problem with any of the catalytic converters.