Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

The CO2 proportionality paradox

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2005, 03:23 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default The CO2 proportionality paradox

Paradox to me, anyway :-)

Would someone *please* correct the mistake in my reasoning below, since it is quite obviously wrong, but I do not know why:

Gas combustion is hydrocarbon oxidation. Using O2 as the oxidizer, the end products are H2O and C02. This suggests that as oxidation increases in efficiency in end-product produced, so does the C02. Yet we *know* that the Prius produces less C02, not more.

Said another way: if it isn't C02 coming out of the Prius tailpipe, what from is the oxidized carbon in ??

I will take kudos up front for posting what may turn out to be the dumbest question ever, but it is annoying me ...
------------
oh, I got it :-)
No matter, I'll leave the question for others that enjoy headaches (CO free, naturally).

Last edited by EricGo; 03-24-2005 at 03:25 PM.
Old 03-24-2005, 04:02 PM

Hi EricGo:

___I am not sure what you are asking but CO2 figures are based on Fuel consumed no matter if it’s an H2 or an Insight. ~ 19.6 pounds of CO2 are produced per gallon of fuel consumed no matter the SI-ICE vehicle. This does not include the refinement and transportation of said gallon of fuel to your local station which totals out to ~ 28 pounds.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 03-24-2005, 04:28 PM

Hi Wayne.

You are right, of course. I for a moment thought that the engine's efficiency was due to more complete combustion. What is actually happpening is increased conversion of heat to mechanical movement.

I'm afraid I epitomize the danger of knowing a bit of biochemistry, while being an engineering idiot. Hopefully I'll improve along with my MPG.

In the meantime, I have a couple more *really* stupid questions..

Old 03-24-2005, 06:15 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Pounds vs. Gallons

Originally Posted by xcel
Hi EricGo:

___I am not sure what you are asking but CO2 figures are based on Fuel consumed no matter if it’s an H2 or an Insight. ~ 19.6 pounds of CO2 are produced per gallon of fuel consumed no matter the SI-ICE vehicle. This does not include the refinement and transportation of said gallon of fuel to your local station which totals out to ~ 28 pounds.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

I am confused. Gasoline weighs 5.85 pounds per gallon, so how does one get 19.6 pounds of CO2 after combustion? Or is there an order of magnitude mistake somewhere?

Cheers, Doug

Old 03-25-2005, 09:07 AM

Gas is mostly (CH)x. So in combustion you make H20 and C02. The numbers differ because you are discounting the hydrogen, but including oxygen taken from air.

Old 03-25-2005, 09:40 AM

Hi Doug:

___EricGo hit it on the head. Remember the SI-ICE’s stoichiometric fuel-air ratio? 14.7 times the amount of air as fuel through the combustion process is where the 19.6 #’s comes from.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

Old 04-08-2005, 10:06 AM
Banned
Default Re: The CO2 proportionality paradox

Originally Posted by EricGo
Yet we *know* that the Prius produces less C02, not more.

We know no such thing. The Prius produces the same amount of CO2 as any other ~50mpg car.

What varies is the amount of CO, NOx, NMOGs, PMs.

troy

Old 04-15-2005, 07:13 PM
Default Re: The CO2 proportionality paradox

The context was: less CO2 produced than cars with lesser mpg.

As for CO, Nox, NMOG, and PM -- none are directly related to mpg, but are post-combustion processes. The 25 mpg SULEV Ford Focus is an obvious example that this is so.