Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

Cummin's MPG paper

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 10:17 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Default Re: Cummin's MPG paper

I do 3,000 to 4,000 miles per month of interstate.
I'll take asphalt over concrete ANY day.
Concrete has a MUCH rougher ( bumpier ) ride, as all the joints get out of whack with the winter/summer freeze/thaw. I HATE CONCRETE! I will drive out of my way to avoid it. The noise and bumps/jolts/vibrations at highway speed is intolerable... in Iowa anyway!

Since asphalt does not have "joints" and ashpahlt can "flex" it is alway a smoother ride ( for me ). Perhaps it costs more to the state and needs to be resurfaced more often than concrete??? Not Sure.

Since bumps absorb energy you need to replace with gasoline, I think anything other than perfect, new concrete is a dis-advantage.

My $0.02.
-John

Old 02-11-2008, 09:58 PM
Energy Independence
Default Re: Cummin's MPG paper

Originally Posted by gpsman1
I'll take asphalt over concrete ANY day.
Ditto