Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

Current Diesels Worthy of Support?

Old 09-14-2005, 06:04 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Current Diesels Worthy of Support?

Mecedes Benz always made diesel cars and they still do.

Old 09-14-2005, 06:32 PM
Ohio BIODZL Driver

I disagree with those taking a negative position on diesel engines for cars ... and in particular biodiesel. To me looking only to hybrids, 'gasoline' or whatever the distant future holds is being unfar to what clean, highly efficient diesel vehicles have to offer. Cleaner ULSD, biodiesel and acceptance of emission equipment already available for diesels will be an excellent addition to our long stretched out American highways, not to mention filling the gap for those needing a mid to larger sized efficient vehicles. (towing and 'work' oriented vehicles would be far more efficient too ... especially will cleaner, American produced renewable fuels.)

On a personal note, I find that my overall mileage while running a performanced tweaked VW TDI with varied fuels comes pretty close to most hybrids. My choosing a small diesel was a far better choice for my weekly 'longer' 75-80mph highway drives. Don't get me wrong, if I were an in-town commuter I'd want a hybrid with plug-in capability ... but having driven a hybrid and my VW TDI there is no comparison out on the open road IMHO. I suppose the real test will be to see how many miles TDIs vs. Hybrids go before giving up the ghost? (I've got a hunch that diesels will be running a few years longer than the current Hybrid models?)

Personally I'm waiting for the urea injected, biodiesel powered, plug-in hybrid to come along ... now that in my mind would be a great combination.

Old 09-14-2005, 06:34 PM
Ohio BIODZL Driver

Originally Posted by Jorge
Mecedes Benz always made diesel cars and they still do.
If you ever get the chance to test drive a Mercedes E-class CDI you'll be in love. Its the smoothest, quiet, high powered road car that get 38 mpg that you can buy. It is impressive.

Old 09-14-2005, 06:59 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

If I get 38 MPG in my Prius, I'll declare it a piece of junk and dump it.

Old 09-14-2005, 08:00 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi EricGo:

___I have some unpaved roads near me that would love to have a Prius driven across them in the idle of January after a 10” snow storm … So what is a Prius Piece of Junk worth nowadays

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net