Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Fuel Economy & Emissions (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/fuel-economy-emissions-22/)
-   -   Database Question - Which MPG? (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/fuel-economy-emissions-22/database-question-mpg-441/)

BIF 05-02-2004 07:53 PM

Hi, Folks:

This is mostly for Jason, but I'm sure others may have wondered the same thing...

Which MPG figure should I put in the real mileage database....my MFD one, or the one I calculate manually upon each fillup?

Thanks.

Hot_Georgia_2004 05-03-2004 09:21 AM

I am inputting data at each tank.
Thanks,
Steve

Jason 05-03-2004 01:42 PM

Steve, MFD = MultiFunction Display. He's asking if he should use manual calculations or trust the car :)

In reality, the database is not 100% accurate because there are different ways of calculating averages and cars also have different amounts of error. It is by far easier to use the MFD's reading, as I do. However, if you prefer to do it manually, by all means. If this was a pure Prius community, I would suggest either one or the other, but as GreenHybrid wecomes all hybrid owners as well as other interested individuals, there is little hope we can all come to common grounds.

In short, whatever you want. In the long run, it won't make a huge difference anyway.

xcel 05-03-2004 06:19 PM

Hi Bif:

___I use actual calculated vs. tank over tank display in the Insight. The database doesn’t use enough digits to store the real world mileage correctly unfortunately. As an example, my lmpg displayed in the Insight is 82.7 mpg, my actual calculated lmpg is 82.824. The LMPG in the Real World Mileage Database shows a 84.2 mpg …

___When Jason revamps the mileage database, I hope he will actually allow it to calculate our mileages like we have done it since the beginning of the automobile. Actual distance traveled/Actual gallons purchased. Hopefully he will add at least 3 digits to the right of the decimal point for gallons purchased and one digit to the left of the decimal point for miles traveled. There won’t be the rounding error with too few digits or none beyond the decimal place to skew the data over time as it appears today …

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Jason 05-03-2004 06:35 PM

I don't see any reason why the database would be that far off. It should have less than .1 MPG error. Can you?

xcel 05-03-2004 06:43 PM

Hi Jason:

___The lmpg calculate in the database is increasing ~ .2 mpg over an above actual per tank in my case? I will look into it a little closer in the morning as I still have all my fuel, distance, tank, and display data in spreadsheets and still have the actual receipts.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

jinno 05-03-2004 07:23 PM

Hi all,

I use actual calculated mpg at the pump.

When we input numbers into the database, although mpg can
be entered to the nearest tenth, it appears that the
number of miles in a tank is accurate only to the whole mile.

I record my miles in my notebook to the nearest tenth. So I
round up or down accordingly. Examples: my dash says I
drove 512.3 miles on a tank, so I enter 512 into the database;
my dash says 516.8, so I enter 517 in the database.

Anyway, it appears that this error results in my personal
lmpg in the database higher (by 0.2) than what I calculate
using number of miles to the nearest tenth and number
of mpg to the nearest tenth.

However, as more tanks are added, this error should "average out."

Maybe we can enter the number of miles to the nearest tenth?

jinno

Jason 05-03-2004 07:33 PM

Jinno,

I can certainly add this ability when I have time, but have found that in most every odometer, miles are measured to the nearest unit. Perhaps this is not the case when people use Trips instead.

jinno 05-03-2004 07:35 PM

Good point, Jason. I am looking at the miles on
a single trip in my HCH, which shows miles to the
nearest tenth.

No biggie,
jinno

Jason 05-04-2004 01:46 PM

Jinno,

On a single trip, eh? :) Not the odometer. That's the trip meter!