Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

Do magnets REALLY help fuel economy

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 07:14 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Do magnets REALLY help fuel economy

While reading through the "Fuel Master" website, I was reminded of another website for some reason.

DMHO

Old 06-10-2006, 11:10 AM

Another tactic they use is "1 million sold", "money back gaurantee". They get away with this because sometimes they price them so low that people buy them "just to try". And then to ensure they don't get too many returns they price it low enough where shipping back to them would be too expensive to be worth while by requiring insured shipment or some other ups/fedex mark up. If you paid $15 for something and it costs $10.00 you would actualy lose money claiming the "money back gaurantee". Which never includes shipping.

On our site over at cleanmpg.com we use google adsense which tries to fit the advertisments with the content. Since we are very much about improving mpg we get a lot of these ads showing up in our banner. I am currently using googles adfilter to remove any such ads from our site. These gimicks are mostly garbage and until I hear some resounding success stories I will consider each and every one of them as fraud.

Old 06-11-2006, 05:24 PM
The Devil's in the detail

I almost know the answer to this question already, but following the last post...do you know of any improvements I can make to my HCH-II that will actually improve FE. Other than the normal driving techniques, tyre inflation etc.

In Australia we are currently being bombarded with advertising about a product called a "Fitch Fuel Catalyst". Some sort of alloy inserted into the fuel line, supposedly "breaking up" the fuel molecules to make them burn more efficiently.

Ever heard of this. It's a U.S. product!

Thanks

Old 06-12-2006, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Aussie
I almost know the answer to this question already, but following the last post...do you know of any improvements I can make to my HCH-II that will actually improve FE. Other than the normal driving techniques, tyre inflation etc.

In Australia we are currently being bombarded with advertising about a product called a "Fitch Fuel Catalyst". Some sort of alloy inserted into the fuel line, supposedly "breaking up" the fuel molecules to make them burn more efficiently.

Ever heard of this. It's a U.S. product!

Thanks
There are NO silver bullets. Technique is 90% of the game, assuming fluids, tires, etc are optimized already. There are some very very incremental improvements that can be made aerodynamically and with warm air intake for the engine, but the bang for the buck is low. Well, warm air intake helps a lot when its colder out.

go to gassavers.org and poke around- they are very into making physical mods there. Lots of it centers around transmisison changouts on older automatics.

BTW- "breaking up fuel molecules" is what the engine is supposed to do anyway!
Any time you see anything that sort of vaguely talks about chemistry or physics, its a sure bet to steer clear immediately! Legitimate products don't need to advertise quasi-science on the front page.

Last edited by gonavy; 06-12-2006 at 07:32 AM.
Old 06-17-2006, 12:04 PM

I was at the Ford dealership earlier this week and noticed advertisements all over the place for a similar magnetic product. I think the main board listed a normal price of around $180, but a special 'right now - limited time offer' price of $150. This product advertisement was all over their service department! I wonder if it was management's idea to sell this item, and the mechanics all know it's crap?

Old 06-17-2006, 07:59 PM
Active Enthusiast

hey! maybe if we wrap some magnets around a flywheel and induce a rotating magnetic field around the whole thing it might..........naaaaa. couldnt possibly work....

Old 06-19-2006, 12:01 PM
Default Drivers urged to be wary of gasoline scams

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articl...scams0618.html

Authorities say the pill wasn't just "top-secret," it was also bogus. The additive is the equivalent of a mothball, according to Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott, and federal authorities say it is one of scores of products pushed by a cottage industry preying on consumer angst over $3-a-gallon gas prices.

Old 06-19-2006, 08:48 PM
Engineering first
Cool Re: Do magnets REALLY help fuel economy

Acme, Inc. - Magno-Miler

My thanks to Looney Tunes who invented cartoon physics and Acme, Inc. products.

Bob Wilson

Old 06-19-2006, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
My thanks to Looney Tunes who invented cartoon physics and Acme, Inc. products.

Bob Wilson
Nice mod.

Old 06-19-2006, 09:06 PM

Good way to collect nails before they imbed into your tires, too.

Quick Reply: Do magnets REALLY help fuel economy

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands