Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

Does anyone drive 80 MPH? or with bikes?

Old 11-17-2005, 11:35 AM
Enthusiast
Default Does anyone drive 80 MPH? or with bikes?

I realize that all you have really great MPGs but honestly you arn't comparing apples to apples. The regular dirver drives 80+ (at least in ATL where I live) all the time. Does anyone drive that speed and have effency restults for it.

I drive a VW Diesel, no the hybrids didn't match the efficeny and size and availability that I needed. I only get 40ish MPG, but I have horrible bikes on the roof, and drive 80-90 MPH. And I do love windows down but use the AC whenever I feel the need. I was just wondering if anyone here drove about 75ish instead of the joke speed limit of 55 inside large cities.

Also does anyone have hybrid (preferably civic, or prius) efficency with a bike or 4 on the roof. I bought the Diesel in thoughts that the massive torque, and lack of aerodynamic MPG assistance, to cart around my bikes. I want a little comparison. I get about 32MPG@85MPH and two bikes on the roof.

Old 11-17-2005, 12:02 PM
Banned
Default Re: Does anyone drive 80 MPH? or with bikes?

I read this and wondered if you were serious (maybe your are...):
  • Windows down
  • Sometimes use A/C
  • Bikes on top
  • Going 80mph
I'd guess your Cd might be 0.40 - about what a Dodge Ram gets.

I drive a 5-speed Insight in the Dallas area. The first 2-3 years I'd do 80mph or more often than I do these days. Low 40s is the mpg I got going that speed. Doing 80 must be important to you if you realize you probably could be doing 60-70mpg at 60mph.

Dallas has a lot of NASCAR wannbes too. I cope with them staying in the rightmost lane, sometimes avoiding the freeway, driving at non-peak hours. To be candid, I think you could do the same and not feel in danger.

Last edited by Delta Flyer; 11-17-2005 at 12:05 PM.
Old 11-17-2005, 12:12 PM
Enthusiast

No I don't do windows down and AC. It is either or. But yes I do drive 80+ all the time. I did drive some around 60ish but I have a hard time going 600miles without a single 80+ MPH trip. I got a max of about 48. But again I did slip a few times during the 650miles.

I have always driven fast, and well fall into old habits. But I think that i would max at about 50-52 mpg going hole hog gas savings, but with bikes on the roof almost everyweekend my mpg is always going to be killed, not to mention the rack that is always up there.

Old 11-17-2005, 12:18 PM
Banned

Is it possible to get a bumper-mount bike rack to reduce the drag?

Old 11-17-2005, 12:33 PM
Enthusiast

Sorta, you can get a rack that straps to your trunk. Tends to mark up the paint and doesn't really keep the bikes from knockng together. Max 3 bikes this way. I actually have a 2 bike verison, but when your bikes cost ~$2000 you don't really want them hanging off the back rubbing each other.

You can get better hitch mount bike racks, some of which are really nice, but you have to get a hitch, and get the rack that sticks of the back of your car. Most of these types also have the problem of bikes knocking/rubbing one another.

Lastly I can put 5 bikes on top of my car, all very secure. Cant't do that any other way without a trailer. And although I don't carry 4 or 5 bikes all that often it happens on a regular enough basis to warrent the roof rack. Half of my cars work is to bring people to bike races.

Old 11-17-2005, 12:38 PM
Banned

You do have a point on the bikes. I'm going to have to take a VERY CLOSE look at racks if I ever get a bike and consider the Triathalon training....

I'm afraid 40mpg is about as good as it gets for what you are doing - at least in 2005.

Old 11-17-2005, 12:46 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

--

Last edited by xcel; 12-02-2007 at 06:28 PM.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

Originally Posted by Delta Flyer
Doing 80 must be important to you if you realize you probably could be doing 60-70mpg at 60mph.
DF are you suggesting that a TDI could get 60-70mpg? You can hit that kind of mileage in your Insight but there is no way a TDI is gonna get 60-70mpg at 60 mph.

Old 11-17-2005, 01:44 PM
Banned

lakedude, I was wrong on the TDI mpg estimates at 60mpg - sorry.

They have to be considerably better at 60mph than 80mph however.

Old 11-17-2005, 02:26 PM
Active Enthusiast

I do have a bike rack on my HCH. It is a hitch mount Yakima that is supposed to be able to carry 4 bikes. I have noticed that with 1 hybrid style bike, going around 60 - 65, I was getting in the upper 40's. Of course this is starting from the upper 40's anyway, but the mileage did drop noticeably with the bike at these speeds. Around town with 2 or 3 bikes I don't notice a drop in mileage.

Billy

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Does anyone drive 80 MPH? or with bikes?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands