Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Fuel Economy & Emissions (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/fuel-economy-emissions-22/)
-   -   Does anyone have a scan gage or MPG comp on a non-hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/fuel-economy-emissions-22/does-anyone-have-scan-gage-mpg-comp-non-hybrid-17133/)

JOE540CI 02-20-2008 09:12 AM

Does anyone have a scan gage or MPG comp on a non-hybrid

I am loosing about 7-10 mpg on my Camry hybrid in the cold minn. weather. I was just wondering if any non-hybrid cars lost the same percent of milage in cold weather. I loose from 15 to 25 percent when its really cold.

Volkov 02-20-2008 02:20 PM

Re: Does anyone have a scan gage or MPG comp on a non-hybrid

I don't have a scan guage, but from many years of Canadian winter driving I can attest to @ 20% drop in mileage for standard ICE vehicles with very cold weather. This is worse if the vehicle stays outside and you don't have a block heater.

JOE540CI 02-20-2008 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Volkov (Post 162316)
I don't have a scan guage, but from many years of Canadian winter driving I can attest to @ 20% drop in mileage for standard ICE vehicles with very cold weather. This is worse if the vehicle stays outside and you don't have a block heater.

Thanks for your imput. Looks like maybe all cars get the same percent of poor mpg in the cold.Joe

gpsman1 02-24-2008 07:51 AM

You will lose more % in a hybrid in winter.

All gasoline engines are worse in winter.

In addition, hybrid batteries are worse in winter.
Cold batteries put out fewer amps, and cold batteries can take in fewer amps of regen. So you get a double whammy.

But think about where you started from in the summer, and you should feel better.

Losing 25% of 30 MPG (hybrid) is still better than losing 20% of 15 MPG for a non-hybrid.

:shade: -John

JOE540CI 02-24-2008 07:17 PM

Now that you said that I agree. Some of the same trips i take ,I cak milk the under 42 mpg ( EV MODE )for almost a mile. In the winter that same trip doesn't work hardly at all

kerpal 05-01-2008 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by gpsman1 (Post 162653)
You will lose more % in a hybrid in winter.

All gasoline engines are worse in winter.

In addition, hybrid batteries are worse in winter.
Cold truck part batteries put out fewer amps, and cold batteries can take in fewer amps of regen. So you get a double whammy.

But think about where you started from in the summer, and you should feel better.

Losing 25% of 30 MPG (hybrid) is still better than losing 20% of 15 MPG for a non-hybrid.

:shade: -John

I don't get it.. Why is a hybrid vehicle not efficient during winter?

BigTuna 05-01-2008 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by kerpal (Post 170711)

No current technology car is as efficient in Winter, hybrid or not. One big reason is that all the viscous fluids are much stiffer in the cold. My car will coast much farther in the Summer than the Winter.

Warm-ups obviously burn fuel and don't move the car an inch. (The Prius has a "Thermos" feature that stores warmed coolant in an insulated bottle for quicker warm-ups)

If you don't check your tire pressure it will be lower in Winter.

I'm pretty sure the engine itself is more efficient while breathing warmer air. Cold air intakes increase power, not efficiency. Pretty sure some hybrid guys have warm air intake mods....

gumby 05-03-2008 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by kerpal (Post 170711)

What the Tuna said...

Plus:
The hybrids' auto-stop feature does not work (by design) until the engine warms up a bit. Which takes longer in cold temps (ask the Canadians :().

The hybrids' hybrid battery does not allow current flow (in or out) in extreme temps - too hot or too cold. This is also by design, to protect the battery. This means NO acceleration assistance (and thus, the ICE runs harder). It also means NO regeneration (charging that too hot or too cold hybrid battery). In the hot hot heat of Texas, AZ, NM, CA, FL summers, it can take 5 minutes or more of driving with the AC on to cool down the hybrid battery enough for it to be fully operable. In the cold cold winters (up North especially), similar (or longer) waiting period exist.

bwilson4web 05-03-2008 09:59 PM

Also, tire rolling resistance increases as the rubber become less efficient.

Bob Wilson

spinner 05-06-2008 06:21 AM

Diesel-fuelled vehicles are also affected. Suppliers gradually blend Winter diesel to prevent fuel gelling. They do it according to the historic temperature normal for the region. This blend negatively affects the fuel efficiency, so it is done only as necessary. It is therefore imperative that low-mileage diesel vehicles don't linger too long on their tanks of fuel or they could be in for a rude surprise when the outdoor temperature drops. Another aspect of diesel vehicles is that they have to run an initially richer fuel-to-air blend to get up to minimum operating temperature; At the first drive-off it should not come as a surprise if the diesel engine produces some black smoke, especially in sub-freezing temperatures.