Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

Edmunds "Tests The Tips" on saving gas

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 04:04 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Edmunds "Tests The Tips" on saving gas

just found this from last November - could not find any mention of it on gh.com. Some of the newer members might like this information:

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/fuelec...2/article.html

We Test the Tips
What Really Saves Gas? And How Much?
By Philip Reed and Mike Hudson
Email
Date Posted 11-22-2005 With gas prices so high, the media is awash with lists of gas-saving tips. Well how's this for a tip? If you listen to us, you can see hybrid-type savings without having to buy a new car.

By changing your driving habits you can improve fuel economy up to 37 percent right away (depending on how you drive). Combine several tips and perform routine maintenance and you will save real dollars, not just pennies.

A miracle? All we did was take several of the most common tips out there and put them to the test over a remote 55-mile route in the high desert of California. Some of them worked like a charm. Some of them didn't work at all. We'll give you the breakdown.

These tests were done under real-world conditions — not in a government lab somewhere. Our results can be matched by anyone — even you.

The wonderful part about what we found is that improving your car's mileage is just a matter of changing your habits. Stack a few of these winners together and we'll bet that you'll see a substantial savings at the pump — without the need for a new car.

Old 08-24-2006, 07:54 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Edmunds "Tests The Tips" on saving gas

With almost a third of a million hybrid vehicles in the US, one could estimate how much fuel is getting saved overall. But if even a moderate proportion of 'regular car' drivers would utilize the often printed fuel economy tips, I believe that those fuel savings would be greater still. There is room for all to help out with this oil consumption problem.

DAS

Old 08-25-2006, 10:07 AM
Enthusiast

Worth keeping in mind that their results for A/C are probably correct for most non-hybrid cars but may not apply to many hybrids. As has been noted elsewhere, for cars with more powerful ICE's burning more gas the additional load from A/C may be an insignificant portion of the total energy expenditure. [I wish the article mentioned which vehicles they used!!] But hybrids with smaller less powerful ICE's burning much less gas may suffer a big hit in mpg when the A/C is on. This is definitely true for my Insight [10 mpg drop is frequently quoted] but I'm not sure how much HCH's, Prii, FEH's and TCH's are affected.

I apologize if this has been discussed at length in other threads.

Old 08-25-2006, 11:15 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lightfoot
Worth keeping in mind that their results for A/C are probably correct for most non-hybrid cars but may not apply to many hybrids. As has been noted elsewhere, for cars with more powerful ICE's burning more gas the additional load from A/C may be an insignificant portion of the total energy expenditure. [I wish the article mentioned which vehicles they used!!] But hybrids with smaller less powerful ICE's burning much less gas may suffer a big hit in mpg when the A/C is on. This is definitely true for my Insight [10 mpg drop is frequently quoted] but I'm not sure how much HCH's, Prii, FEH's and TCH's are affected.

I apologize if this has been discussed at length in other threads.
To the extent the only difference is that the AC is a larger percentage of engine power on the hybrid vehicles, it's not clear that the actual cost of running AC is different for hybrids and non hybrids -- these article should discuss these sorts of issues in those terms. Cooling a Civic for example will require the same amount of energy be it a hybrid or a non-hybrid. The relevant figure should not be "how much does this hurt MPG (dependent on hundreds of factors)" but "how much does it cost per hour to run air conditioning".

It will probably be slightly worse on the Hybrid, in absolute terms, if you already have a heavy driving load -- such as going up an incline on the highway as it will force the smaller engine to rev up to a higher RPM, and thus incur efficiency loss, while an oversized engine might go from being underworked, to a more efficient engine load. But I expect this difference to be minor. The main differnece is that a given gallons/hour to run AC represents a lot more "MPGs" if you're in an economical vehicle.

Another point of note about this is that a hybrid drivers attempting to maximize mileage by driving slower will see an even greater hit from AC, in absolute terms, as they will be out on the road longer. (Although most in that category use AC sparingly or not at all) Finally, the fact that the hybrids have aerodynamic, sloping windshields will hurt them more for AC as well, as this will generate much more solar heating than a car with more vertical windows.

The fact that the new EPA test will require air conditioning/vehicle cooling as part of the driving cycle is good. It means that carmakers will have an incentive to do things like come out with Infrared blocking windshield glass, better heat insulation, better circulation, and more efficient air conditioners on cars.

Old 08-26-2006, 04:43 AM
Active Enthusiast

Forget most of the tips, most drivers could see a massive increase in fuel economy just by not driving 75 MPH and instead driving 65 MPH. The other tips are good too, but merely reducing speed can help a lot. Going down to 55 MPH gets you even better MPG.

The reality is most drivers have plenty of avenues open to them to increase their MPG. But it's easier for them to just drive however they want, and then ***** about high gas prices and greedy oil companies, etc.

Anyway, the way I see it, it's only a matter of time now before the 55 MPH limit returns, so why not get used to it now, and save gas while you're at it?

Old 08-26-2006, 06:33 AM
Proud to be GM

Originally Posted by Double-Trinity
The fact that the new EPA test will require air conditioning/vehicle cooling as part of the driving cycle is good. It means that carmakers will have an incentive to do things like come out with Infrared blocking windshield glass, better heat insulation, better circulation, and more efficient air conditioners on cars.
Good point. A lot of work is being done in this area and there are some vehicles on the road today with iead impregnated windshields that help block IR. Better (or at least alternative) ways of blocking IR are being researched because lead also blocks IR going out, which will negatively impact several technologies being developed to make the driving experience safer.

Peace,

Martin

Old 08-26-2006, 06:44 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by martinjlm
Good point. A lot of work is being done in this area and there are some lead also blocks IR going out, which will negatively impact several technologies being developed to make the driving experience safer.
What utility is there in IR leaving the cabin?

Old 08-26-2006, 06:58 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by njkayaker
I think what he means is that you want heat coming from the cabin (e.g. the batteries and computers) to be able to escape. An IR-reflecting coating on the windows will not only reflect IR coming from the outside back to the outside; it will also reflect IR from the inside back to the inside. An excellent point.

Old 08-26-2006, 12:29 PM
Proud to be GM

Originally Posted by njkayaker
Camera based technologies for pedestrian detection / obstacle detection / road condition / lane departure warning. Some of the cameras will not work well with lead impregnated windshields.

Peace,

Martin

Old 08-26-2006, 03:16 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I've been posting great tips there since mid 2004. My tips were generally squashed by members there and staff as well, especially a "Mr_Shiftright".

At one point I admitted to shutting off my engine on a familiar abandoned rural road at 3:00AM going 20-35MPH on almost level ground and rolling gas-free for over two miles.

Edmunds staff comment:
Last year our family took a vacation out of state. I rode my brakes down a long steep, winding hill with the shift in N to save a speck of gas and picked up speed. Around a blind corner at the bottom my brakes were overheated and useless so my family careened through a busy red light completely out of control and almost crashed.
But hey it's your life not mine
Notice how they take their own very poor judgement which has nothing to do with what I described, then relate his dangerous actions to my own.

That is only one of many examples over the years.

Funny that while the Katrina fuel crisis was in its peak I posted tips there again only to get the same reaction from the staff....
Except for one driver: a Lincoln Navigator of all people raised his MPG from around 19 to 28 for two consecutive tanks!

I don't believe Edmunds staff has any fuel economy thoughts in them what so ever, but rather what is big, powerful and 0-60 in shortest time.
Bet they'd rate the Prius or HCH at 25MPG if they could get away with it.

Quick Reply: Edmunds "Tests The Tips" on saving gas

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands