Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

Emissions Humor Thought

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 07:29 PM
Enthusiast
Default Emissions Humor Thought

Leaving dinner with some friends earlier. I'm in my nice clean burning somewhat green hybrid. My friend pulls up next to me to make a right turn....on his 1974 Yamaha 2 stroke, motorcycle. Me, sitting there with the ICE off, burning nothing, him sitting there with the blue smoke coming out of his pipes. One extreme to the other, side by side.

-Dave

Old 07-25-2006, 05:22 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Emissions Humor Thought

Originally Posted by DaveF
Leaving dinner with some friends earlier. I'm in my nice clean burning somewhat green hybrid. My friend pulls up next to me to make a right turn....on his 1974 Yamaha 2 stroke, motorcycle. Me, sitting there with the ICE off, burning nothing, him sitting there with the blue smoke coming out of his pipes. One extreme to the other, side by side.

-Dave
Dave, to even things out you may want to consider strapping a running lawn-mower to your rear bumper the next time you go out with them. It is amazing. I don't mind sitting at traffic lights as much. The A/C is still on so I'm comfortable. But I'm not sitting there burning fuel, wasting money and polluting the air.

Old 07-27-2006, 02:00 PM
Active Enthusiast

It is amazing. I don't mind sitting at traffic lights as much. The A/C is still on so I'm comfortable. But I'm not sitting there burning fuel, wasting money and polluting the air.
I here you there. Although I've had my FEH a short period of time, the onus of stop signs/lights is far less. Another area that I see this is in drive-thrus. Due to work, I have to grab a quick bite about twice a week. Can you imagine how much gas the ICE in a regular car burns going through one of these things? For me, I just coast through on electric.

Old 07-27-2006, 05:46 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

One of the guys I work with mentioned the other day that he used to get 100mpg on his motorcycle, beating my HCH2. I told him, "Yeah, but 2 people means 2 motorcycles, so that's only 50mpg." He reluctantly conceded.

Old 07-28-2006, 03:28 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I notice that when stopped, too, although it doesn't seem most noticeable with motorcycles- it always seems worse behind trucks. Phew! The choking, the smoking, the grime, the grit... It's so unpleasant. The moment they start reving up as the light changes, those clunky smokestacks give a shudder and belch out the column of black fog, straight at you. It's like watching yourself be poisoned. Ugghhh!

Old 07-28-2006, 05:54 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by leahbeatle
I notice that when stopped, too, although it doesn't seem most noticeable with motorcycles- it always seems worse behind trucks. Phew! The choking, the smoking, the grime, the grit... It's so unpleasant. The moment they start reving up as the light changes, those clunky smokestacks give a shudder and belch out the column of black fog, straight at you. It's like watching yourself be poisoned. Ugghhh!
You got that right!! I like to bike to work (pedal power.) Every time I get behind a semi, or a bus, I have to hold my breath until they get far enough away!