Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

EPA Mileage Tests Explained

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 06:46 AM
Enthusiast

Originally posted by xcel+Aug 24th 2004 @ 12:54 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (xcel @ Aug 24th 2004 @ 12:54 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>In regards to the Hybrid’s, I think the Prius II is the largest outlier given it is in its EV mode so much of the EPA’s city cycle and so many are expecting to see that 60 mpg mark on the FCD or calculated. I haven’t read of a single person that has received 60 mpg in an all city environment yet but I am sure there are many that do consistently tank over tank.[/b]

Me. My last tank was 63mpg on the display and 66+mpg from manual calculation. In the mileage database, it says 33% highway, but it's really less than 20%. I can't enter that because the resolution in the field is too coarse. In fact, a 200km highway trip dragged down the overall mpg. My city only mpg should be a couple of mpg higher.

As for maintaining it tank over tank, I'm 360 miles into my current tank with less than 10% highway. The display is at a little below 64mpg. I was above 65mpg in the middle of last week but was forced to do a 40km highway trip and haven't been able to recover from it ever since.

<!--QuoteBegin-xcel
@Aug 24th 2004 @ 12:54 PM
Chisight and I took a brand new, un-warmed up, Prius II for a test drive in 32 degree temps about 6 to 7 months ago. I had a 56 mpg reading after something like 4 miles and Chisight had 57 mpg showing on the FCD (after reset) after it was warmed up on the way back but we were not driving “normally” either. This was in a pure all-city environment.[/quote]
At around 70F temperature, a Prius II takes about 2/3 (0.667) mile to warm up from a cold start. You take quite a hit during warmup, but once the car is warm, you should be able to maintain 80-90mpg on the 5min bars if there isn't too many ups and downs on the road and you don't get caught by more than one in 3-4 red lights. Down to 50-60mpg on segments with significant climbs and around 100-120mpg on downhill segments. The Prius is very sensitive to the elevation profile of the road. On roads with significant height changes, you usually get different mpg on opposite directions. So choosing the right route is important for high mpg.

Anyway, I agree you can't expect to get 60mpg on a Prius in city if you drive it "normally". As for the Prius deviating more from EPA rating than a normal car, the former is just more efficient than a normal car, especially in the city. The inefficiency of normal cars just mask the inefficiency of the person behind the wheel. The Prius doesn't mask that and you can plainly see the difference between drivers. It would be interesting to see how the new EPA method would address this difference.

Andy