Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Fuel Economy & Emissions (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/fuel-economy-emissions-22/)
-   -   Explaining my epiphany (or why I'm not anti-hypermiler). (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/fuel-economy-emissions-22/explaining-my-epiphany-why-im-not-anti-hypermiler-13728/)

lakedude 05-26-2007 02:22 PM

Explaining my epiphany (or why I'm not anti-hypermiler).

Back a while ago I quit keeping track of my mileage and quit being competitive about hypermileing. At the time I mentioned that this would actually save gas but no one bothered to ask how or why gas would be saved. Some have even assumed this all to mean that I'm anti-hypermiler, which in not the case. I'm anti rude driving and anti smug and anti narrow minded thinking but I'm certainly not anti hypermiler.

The reason I quit keeping track of my mileage was in part because I had a series of 6 trips coming up at 500 miles each. Driving at highway speeds would have killed my average in the hybrid. In order to keep my average up I would normally have driven "Night Rider" because the Vette can be driven at highway speeds and still get 28mpg or so which still qualifies as "hypermiling" since it is above EPA. Instead I quit keeping track of my mileage and drove the Honda. I got about 45mpg in the Honda at 70-75mph. Had I taken the Vette I would have burned about 107 gallons gas. By taking the Hybrid I only burned about 67 gallons of gas for a savings of about 40 gallons.

So there you have it. 45 mpg is not a "hypermiler" figure in an HCH but 28 mpg is "hypermiling" in a Vette. Which saves more gas? Get the point? I'm all for saving gas even if it means not being a "hypermiler" on a given tank.

My current driving style on my normal commute is well into "hypermiler" territory but I now drive faster to keep up with traffic and even use the AC every once in a while. My current tank is in the mid sixties.

For the record, I'm not anti-hypermiler!

bwilson4web 05-26-2007 03:16 PM

Re: Explaining my epiphany (or why I'm not anti-hypermiler).

I quite agree with one additional caveat. I'm for improving the engineering and making fuel savings the default. I don't want to add one extra task or distraction to the driver.

Have you considered aerodynamic mods to your hybrid? I've not been under a Honda but I wonder if the underside is a smooth surface. Regardless, all of our hybrids could gain from a front air-dam and side skirts.

I've got a sheet of coroplast, corrugated plastic, and been thinking about forming a front air-dam and side skirts that descend when my speed exceeds 45 mph and retract at lower speeds. This would significantly reduce the high-speed coefficient of drag yet not be a problem around curbs and parking lots. My only concern is dealing with highway debre, tire parts and in the winter, snow and ice.

Bob Wilson

lakedude 05-26-2007 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by bwilson4web (Post 126585)
Have you considered aerodynamic mods to your hybrid? I've not been under a Honda but I wonder if the underside is a smooth surface. Regardless, all of our hybrids could gain from a front air-dam and side skirts.

Actually one of the things that make the hybrid version of the Civic different from the regular version is aerodynamic improvements including a huge smooth plastic shield on the underside of the engine compartment. This shield makes changing the oil a pain in the neck.

I don't see why all Civics couldn't have had similar aerodynamic improvements...

Perhaps the new models do?

brick 05-27-2007 06:41 AM

I think it's important to point out that nobody expects anyone to compete against anybody else. Hypermiling doesn't have to be about being "top dog" as that would be a waste of effort IMO. It's simply about reducing the amount of gas you use while facing your conditions and meeting your own needs. I encounter your situation all the time. Last weekend I had to run a 400mi RT in the Prius at highway speed, which any Prius owner will tell you is NOT a desirable situation for great fuel economy. So I set the cruise at the PSL (65mph) and went about my business. That tank went into mileage log looking pretty lousy, but so what? It doesn't have to be a big deal.

tigerhonaker 05-27-2007 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by lakedude (Post 126581)
Back a while ago I quit keeping track of my mileage and quit being competitive about hypermileing. At the time I mentioned that this would actually save gas but no one bothered to ask how or why gas would be saved. Some have even assumed this all to mean that I'm anti-hypermiling, which in not the case. I'm anti rude driving and anti smug and anti narrow minded thinking but I'm certainly not anti hyper miler.

The reason I quit keeping track of my mileage was in part because I had a series of 6 trips coming up at 500 miles each. Driving at highway speeds would have killed my average in the hybrid. In order to keep my average up I would normally have driven "Night Rider" because the Vette can be driven at highway speeds and still get 28mpg or so which still qualifies as "hypermiling" since it is above EPA. Instead I quit keeping track of my mileage and drove the Honda. I got about 45mpg in the Honda at 70-75mph. Had I taken the Vette I would have burned about 107 gallons gas. By taking the Hybrid I only burned about 67 gallons of gas for a savings of about 40 gallons.

So there you have it. 45 mpg is not a "hypermiler" figure in an HCH but 28 mpg is "hypermiling" in a Vette. Which saves more gas? Get the point? I'm all for saving gas even if it means not being a "hypermiler" on a given tank.

My current driving style on my normal commute is well into "hypermiler" territory but I now drive faster to keep up with traffic and even use the AC every once in a while. My current tank is in the mid sixties.

For the record, I'm not anti-hypermiler!

Lakedude,

You said: For the record, I'm not anti-hypermiler![/quote]

You just did a very interesting Post in that you (Pointed-Out) that saving fuel could simply be as easy as the choice in driving one vehicle versus another.

Like myself I have a AWD-Mercedes and a Honda Civic Hybrid II. Common sense would let anyone know that the choice to (Save-Fuel) would be to drive the HCH II. Like in your case driving the HCH I versus the Corvette.

None of this has anything to do with being against Hypermiling, Period.

I just received numerous PM's from a member because in a different Thread (You) ask the (Question),

How many gallons of gas will be used/wasted going to Hybridfest 2007 ?

I looked at your question as nothing more than that, a-question ? Next thing you know the Post were "Deleted" including your question and the Post after the question.

In all (Fairness) there were No-Negative-Remarks from the Mod. that Deleted the Question or following Post. They were all simply Removed.

I wondered at the time if the Question (You) ask should maybe have been made in a (Different-Area). Like "Fuel-Economy or Other".

As it was asked on the Thread, {Who is Attending Hybridfest 2007} I can see that the question would be taking the Thread Off the original Question.

I would never have even thought to ask that Specific-Question but it is a (Valid-Question) IMO.

Looks like to me it could be replied to here on this Thread.

Reason, this Thread is saying to anyone reading it that (You) are doing your part to "Saving-Gas" by the choices you make. Now this has (Nothing) to do with (You) being {Against-Hypermiling} Members that Practice those Techniques.

If one were to just look at nothing but the (Raw-Facts). There is going to be a "Tremendous" amount of Fuel burned by the Public to Attend and then drive back to Their Homes. This cannot be IMO be Questioned by anyone with any Common-Sense. So without conferring with you and just taking the question you asked on the other Thread, a lot of Gas is going to be Burned.

What I think I would like to also say regarding Hybridfest 2007 is this. It is truly a very (Informative, Educational) Meeting with Major Manufactures/Vendors Contributing Hybrids of all Makes and Models. There will be Speakers at this Meeting on a Variety of Different Topics relating to Fuel-Economy and the Environment. One of the organizers that I personally met at Hybridfest 2006 was Eric Powers (Ericbecky). He is without any doubt IMO a very dedicated individual when it comes to putting together the Team he did last year and this year for Hybridfest 2007. These people spend their personal-time to plan and implement this meeting. If (Anyone) has not been to Last Years Hybridfest 2006 and can possibly attend this years Hybridfest 2007 {I-Personally-Suggest-Going}, you will not be (Disappointed).

So, Yes there is going to be a lot of Fuel-Burned by all that attend Hybridfest 2007 and I guess to just look at the meeting as nothing more than another meeting then can one (Justify) Burning the Fuel it will take to go to this meeting ? When the people going are the one's that are concerned most about (Saving-Fuel).

Everything we do has a Price and to attend Hybridfest 2007 is going to have the Admission-Price of Burning-Fuel.

So is this a (Waste) of our Resources ? You be the Judge:

Personally, I think Hybridfest 2007 and the Information, learned at it is Far-More-Important than the Fuel to Attend: IMHO ;)

Terry (tiger)

JimboK 05-27-2007 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by lakedude (Post 126581)
Back a while ago I quit keeping track of my mileage and quit being competitive about hypermileing ....

One of these days I might get to that point, but for now I enjoy the competition -- not so much with others, but with myself. I enjoy the challenge -- and cost savings, especially as gas prices continue their rise -- of pushing the numbers higher. In the process, I am nurturing new habits (which, I might add, have to suppress those ingrained for 30+ years) that will eventually become instinctive. If or when I stop "competing," they will remain.

You raise a valid point. Folks should keep the big picture in view. The numbers are not the be-all, end-all. It's senseless to consume more fuel just for the numbers.

Attending Hybridfest is also part of the big picture, IMHO. It's an investment. An investment implies an expected return greater than what was invested. That's what I expect from HF.

gumby 05-27-2007 11:06 PM

I agree, Brick, and do the same. I decide which vehicle is right for the task at hand. I hardly ever (if ever) think "that'll ruin my MPG for this tank so let's take the Tribute instead." I take the Tribute when I might be hauling stuff back that might not FIT in the Civic.

I DO understand the competiveness aspect, though. In fact, it has no doubt been responsible for many of the rest of us getting better MPG - just learning from these ultra competitive folks has helped us. The tips they learned and shared are valuable. I thank them - even in their excessive exhuberance :)

Mr. Kite 06-02-2007 04:32 PM

lakedude,

I understand what you are saying, but there is no reason to stop tracking this stuff or deleting all your records. You are definitely right though. It is much better to take the hybrid over the 'vette. That doesn't tarnish anything. Besides, that's what the notes are for.

I've faced similar issues. Although I would like to be super-competitive, I also have to be sensible. Until recently, my two vehicles were a Civic Hybrid and an Odyssey minivan. My wife and I share these vehicles depending on our needs for a given day. Both of our daily miles driven can vary dramatically and we try to give the Civic Hybrid to the one who has to drive the most. Luckily, my wife is supportive of my fuel economy interests. However, she does not drive as efficiently as I do. Many times I wished I could drive a vehicle for a full tank, but it seemed so hypocritical to do so. Often it would have meant me driving the fuel efficient vehicle for 15 or 20 miles while my wife drove the van for 100+ miles. I could not do this.

I think you should still keep track of your numbers and keep posting them. People know what you are capable of. If you decide to tone it back a bit and use the AC, who cares? Make a note of it if you want. If you decide to take the hybrid on a road trip instead of a less efficient vehicle, good for you. And, if you feel the need, you can try for one of those record tanks occasionally.

Mr. Kite

2007HCHOttawa 06-02-2007 07:51 PM

Thats the part I don't get about some of the comments I read on this (and other hybrid forums). Here are some of the statements I disagree with ...

- Driving longer distances just to get a better FE number. My aim normally is to use the least amount of gasoline. Better FE is pointless if the total fuel consumption (litres or gallons used) is more than what it could've been.

- Driving a bad FE car / truck / SUV for short trips / errands just to maintain a higher tank or lifetime FE So what if your FE drops from 52 to 48 if you use your hybrid for a bunch of short trips? The total fuel used for those short trips will still be much less than what your non-hybrid car / truck / SUV uses.

tigerhonaker 06-02-2007 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Kite (Post 127598)
lakedude,

I understand what you are saying, but there is no reason to stop tracking this stuff or deleting all your records. You are definitely right though. It is much better to take the hybrid over the 'vette. That doesn't tarnish anything. Besides, that's what the notes are for.

I've faced similar issues. Although I would like to be super-competitive, I also have to be sensible. Until recently, my two vehicles were a Civic Hybrid and an Odyssey minivan. My wife and I share these vehicles depending on our needs for a given day. Both of our daily miles driven can vary dramatically and we try to give the Civic Hybrid to the one who has to drive the most. Luckily, my wife is supportive of my fuel economy interests. However, she does not drive as efficiently as I do. Many times I wished I could drive a vehicle for a full tank, but it seemed so hypocritical to do so. Often it would have meant me driving the fuel efficient vehicle for 15 or 20 miles while my wife drove the van for 100+ miles. I could not do this.

I think you should still keep track of your numbers and keep posting them. People know what you are capable of. If you decide to tone it back a bit and use the AC, who cares? Make a note of it if you want. If you decide to take the hybrid on a road trip instead of a less efficient vehicle, good for you. And, if you feel the need, you can try for one of those record tanks occasionally.

Mr. Kite

Mr. Kite,

Not that this (Comment) is necessary or will really for the most part mean much to You or Others. However I just read your Post here and I thought it was interesting. A Nice-Post if you will.

I think if Lakedude reads this he will {Appreciate} you taking the time to do it and the content within.

Terry (tiger)