Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

Explaining my epiphany (or why I'm not anti-hypermiler).

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 11:06 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Explaining my epiphany (or why I'm not anti-hypermiler).

Originally Posted by lakedude
Actually one of the things that make the hybrid version of the Civic different from the regular version is aerodynamic improvements including a huge smooth plastic shield on the underside of the engine compartment. This shield makes changing the oil a pain in the neck.

I don't see why all Civics couldn't have had similar aerodynamic improvements...

Perhaps the new models do?

They should but then the difference between mpg would be less and not a good selling point imo.

Old 06-04-2007, 11:08 AM

So is this a (Waste) of our Resources ? You be the Judge:

Personally, I think Hybridfest 2007 and the Information, learned at it is Far-More-Important than the Fuel to Attend: IMHO

Terry (tiger)
Can somebody explain to me what you take away from hybridfest that you didn't already know going in?

Old 06-04-2007, 11:20 AM

lakedude,

Are you no longer tracking milage period or just for that period of time where your mpg average would have suffered?

Old 06-04-2007, 05:48 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by livvie
lakedude,

for that period of time where your mpg average would have suffered?

LOL. Sounds like my dad when I go running with him when its rear end freezing cold out side. He refuses to time his runs when its that cold. He says it just depresses you. I time all my runs so I can get data. I can understand how much the cold affected my running and use that knowledge in the future. At the same cold temperatures I should run at comparable speeds, all other factors constant. When these times don't match up, I can consider other factors.

So to extend the analogy, no matter how you drive I would reccomend to always track FE, even if you aren't trying to hypermile, just so you can have an idea of whats going on. Your numbers may be low at certain times, but if all of a sudden you get really low numbers and you don't know why, maybe a tire is going flat or something is going wrong!

Old 06-04-2007, 06:23 PM

Not meant as an insult, but what is UP with the formatting on your post, Terry? It comes out as a complete mess on my screen, all kinds of extra brackets and parenthesis, changes of font, etc., which makes it hard to read.

I think Terry's question is a valid one, though I can understand the urge to get defensive. It's true that there's a certain amount of irony involved in dozens or scores of people driving long distances, either out of their way or to places they ordinarily wouldn't go, using gas they wouldn't otherwise use, to talk about how to save gas. However, I think this falls into the category of an investment in the future. It's like paying extra for your car in the hope that you'll eventually save money on gas in the long run, which some do - the philosophy is quite similar. People spend lots of money to go to college, hoping that they'll get better jobs and make more money than they would have if they hadn't gone, more than enough to pay back the money they spent getting to that point.

An event like the Hybridfest is a step like that, an investment, either in education, public awareness, or just a celebration of the progress we are trying to accomplish as a society. I'm sure Ericbecky could be even more eloquent than me about the goals of the event- I've never even been to a Hybridfest, unfortunately. It's a lofty-minded thing, but probably a lot more justifiable in terms of impact on other people saving gasoline than just about anything else you might be driving around the country doing, and no one asks you to justify the gas you spent on the road trip to your grandmother's.

Old 06-04-2007, 06:30 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by leahbeatle
and no one asks you to justify the gas you spent on the road trip to your grandmother's.
Maybe someone should ask about the gas you spent to go to granny's. j/k

Old 06-04-2007, 06:53 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by livvie
Can somebody explain to me what you take away from hybridfest that you didn't already know going in?
A sunburn!

Old 06-04-2007, 07:02 PM
G.H. Contributor
Lightbulb Re: Explaining my epiphany (or why I'm not anti-hypermiler).

Originally Posted by leahbeatle
Not meant as an insult, but what is UP with the formatting on your post, Terry? It comes out as a complete mess on my screen, all kinds of extra brackets and parenthesis, changes of font, etc., which makes it hard to read.

I think Terry's question is a valid one, though I can understand the urge to get defensive. It's true that there's a certain amount of irony involved in dozens or scores of people driving long distances, either out of their way or to places they ordinarily wouldn't go, using gas they wouldn't otherwise use, to talk about how to save gas. However, I think this falls into the category of an investment in the future. It's like paying extra for your car in the hope that you'll eventually save money on gas in the long run, which some do - the philosophy is quite similar. People spend lots of money to go to college, hoping that they'll get better jobs and make more money than they would have if they hadn't gone, more than enough to pay back the money they spent getting to that point.

An event like the Hybridfest is a step like that, an investment, either in education, public awareness, or just a celebration of the progress we are trying to accomplish as a society. I'm sure Ericbecky could be even more eloquent than me about the goals of the event- I've never even been to a Hybridfest, unfortunately. It's a lofty-minded thing, but probably a lot more justifiable in terms of impact on other people saving gasoline than just about anything else you might be driving around the country doing, and no one asks you to justify the gas you spent on the road trip to your grandmother's.
Hey Leah,

No offense taken. I just have my way of doing a Post and others have their way. Sorry it is Hard for you to read. However I will have to be Honest with you. I am not going to change the way I do Post/Threds. Hey just try harder. They are not really that Hard-to-Read.

Have a Nice-Day:

Terry (tiger)

Old 06-04-2007, 07:11 PM
G.H. Contributor
Lightbulb Re: Explaining my epiphany (or why I'm not anti-hypermiler).

Originally Posted by Brady
A sunburn!
Could be one might make New Friends. Could be that you get to see Hybrids that you would not see anywhere else. Could be that you learn something from some of the more informed members that get to go to Hybridfest 2007 like Eric Powers, Wayne Gerdes and others that will be there. I went in 2006 and it was worth the drive and time spent.

Now I realize you were being Funny. I just mentioned the above as some valid reasons to go to Hybridfest 2007.

Trust me there are some really Nice/Interesting Members that will be there. Some are driving a very long distance to be with each other. It is a once a Year Event.

So go to it you are in Chicago: Get with Wayne Gerdes and the other Chicago members and drive over to it.

Have Fun and get some SUN:

Terry (tiger)

Old 06-05-2007, 05:03 AM
Active Enthusiast

Actually I would like to go, but I'll be in Ontario for a wedding. Maybe next year!

Quick Reply: Explaining my epiphany (or why I'm not anti-hypermiler).

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands