Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

Explaining my epiphany (or why I'm not anti-hypermiler).

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 04:56 PM
G.H. Contributor
Thumbs up Re: Explaining my epiphany (or why I'm not anti-hypermiler).

Originally Posted by Brady
Actually I would like to go, but I'll be in Ontario for a wedding. Maybe next year!
Brady,

Never been to Ontario, Canada myself but I think you will have a Great time at the Wedding.

Terry (tiger)

Old 06-06-2007, 09:02 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Explaining my epiphany (or why I'm not anti-hypermiler).

I'm with Lakedude. I'm not anti-hypermiler. However, I feel hypermiling can/does get taken to extremes. I believe it's all about your personal comfort level. Some people feel it's okay to coast to nearly a dead stop at the top of a hill with just enough momentum to begin going down the decending side. All the while with several cars behind them. Of course, this is an extreme. So negative comments not required. But, I feel there should be a happy median where hypermilers can live and blend into the local traffic as to not create negative riffs towards hybrid drivers. But, I digress...

I don't call the way I drive hypermiling, but I do what I can to save fuel. If that means doing what Lakedude said and driving the vehicle with better MPG, then that's what I try to do. If it means only setting my cruise control to 5 MPH over the posted speed limit, then I do that. And if it means smoothly and progressively accelerating and smoothly and progressively coming to a stop, well I also do those things. So me a hypermilier? Not according to this forum. But I do save fuel.

I've been considering the idea of not tracking my mileage anymore. It's really of no additional use to me. I don't need to see a history of my tanks. I really only use my current MPG display to see how I'm doing.

Old 06-06-2007, 07:20 PM
G.H. Contributor
Lightbulb Re: Explaining my epiphany (or why I'm not anti-hypermiler).

Originally Posted by bar10dah
I'm with Lakedude. I'm not anti-hypermiler. However, I feel hypermiling can/does get taken to extremes. I believe it's all about your personal comfort level. Some people feel it's okay to coast to nearly a dead stop at the top of a hill with just enough momentum to begin going down the decending side. All the while with several cars behind them. Of course, this is an extreme. So negative comments not required. But, I feel there should be a happy median where hypermilers can live and blend into the local traffic as to not create negative riffs towards hybrid drivers. But, I digress...

I don't call the way I drive hypermiling, but I do what I can to save fuel. If that means doing what Lakedude said and driving the vehicle with better MPG, then that's what I try to do. If it means only setting my cruise control to 5 MPH over the posted speed limit, then I do that. And if it means smoothly and progressively accelerating and smoothly and progressively coming to a stop, well I also do those things. So me a hypermilier? Not according to this forum. But I do save fuel.

I've been considering the idea of not tracking my mileage anymore. It's really of no additional use to me. I don't need to see a history of my tanks. I really only use my current MPG display to see how I'm doing.
Hi Keith,

A most Excellent Post with the right amount of content on Hypermiling. I am on the same page. I do-not track tanks either. No point I know what I get on a tank of fuel after all this time owning the 2006 HCH II. Like you said I just watch the Gauges on the tank to see how I am doing just for my information and also it lets me know that I made the right intelligent move on purchasing my Hybrid. It or I should say I do not get Great MPG
with my Hybrid because I choose to do the Following with it.

Use A/C with the Climate Control. Both for Summer & Winter:
Use the Cruise Control:
Drive with the Traffic-Flow:
I don't Polk away from Stops:

I drive my Hybrid to enjoy the comfort it was Designed for from Honda. That means as I said I use the Auto Climate Control Year-Round. I love the X/M Satellite Radio and the Bass System from Honda. I set the Cruise-Control at a Comfortable Speed and sit back and Relax. I don't have anyone Blowing-Horns, Finger Gestures, Etc. from other drivers.

My personal opinion is that Honda, Toyota and the other manufactures made the Hybrids to get better FE than the Non-Hybrids. I really do not think they intended their vehicles to be driven any different than their Non-Hybrid Vehicles. I get Great FE with my HCH II even as I drive it and enjoy it. If one wants to do the Real-Hypermiler thing then I say More-Power to them. That is their choice as mine is to me.

Terry (tiger)

Old 06-07-2007, 07:33 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Differences of opinion and the freedom to act accordingly. Is this a great country or what?

Old 06-07-2007, 06:15 PM
G.H. Contributor
Thumbs up Re: Explaining my epiphany (or why I'm not anti-hypermiler).

Originally Posted by abowles
Differences of opinion and the freedom to act accordingly. Is this a great country or what?
You said it all, AMEN

Terry (tiger)

Old 06-08-2007, 07:41 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JimboK
One of these days I might get to that point, but for now I enjoy the competition -- not so much with others, but with myself. I enjoy the challenge -- and cost savings, especially as gas prices continue their rise -- of pushing the numbers higher. In the process, I am nurturing new habits (which, I might add, have to suppress those ingrained for 30+ years) that will eventually become instinctive. If or when I stop "competing," they will remain.

You raise a valid point. Folks should keep the big picture in view. The numbers are not the be-all, end-all. It's senseless to consume more fuel just for the numbers.

Attending Hybridfest is also part of the big picture, IMHO. It's an investment. An investment implies an expected return greater than what was invested. That's what I expect from HF.
I just think JimboK is getting too competitive for my tastes.

Old 06-13-2007, 04:22 PM
Banned

I suspect some member's blood pressure is rising - "it's Delta Flyer".

Let's have three categories of drivers:
1. speeders/aggressive drivers
2. hypermilers
3. drivers going fairly close to the speed limit - I think this is the group most of the members in this thread identify with.
For the record, I've never attacked group #3 - the drivers driving the speed limit and slightly above. My quibbles have been at the speeders or those attacking hypermilers.

Trying to remember if is was Fortune or CNN/Money, but back in May it was mentioned all it takes for pump prices to fall is a 7% drop in gas consumption - easily done by stopping aggressive driving. Simple things like not charging to stop lights - no hypermiling necessary. I would be delighted if as a nation driver's attitudes would change to that extent.

You know I hypermile, but others can easily get by, nor have I had any close calls. Traffic does dictate to a degree what I do - I speed up a bit in heavier traffic.

Old 06-14-2007, 04:56 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by VaBeachPrius
I just think JimboK is getting too competitive for my tastes.
<tone of sarcasm> Right!