Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Fuel Economy & Emissions (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/fuel-economy-emissions-22/)
-   -   F150 4WD Supercrew Automatic gets 19mpg?!?! (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/fuel-economy-emissions-22/f150-4wd-supercrew-automatic-gets-19mpg-7300/)

snax 05-12-2006 07:41 PM

F150 4WD Supercrew Automatic gets 19mpg?!?!

I never would have believed it if I hadn't made it happen, but yes, on a 30 mile round trip of combined city and highway driving at approximately the PSL, I was able to register 19.2 mpg on the display using a P&G driving strategy. 'Big deal, 19.2 mpg' you say? Well considering that even with a very light foot, the best I have ever seen from the display was in the low 15s for combined driving, I'm pretty happy with it.

Obviously the P&G concept is well proven, but it's pretty astounding how much of a difference just a shift into neutral at speed can make to fuel economy even in a truck. What I find even more impressive is that the typical lower economy of city driving has virtually evaporated save for having to wait around at lights. If I can avoid long waits, I'm confident that 20-21 mpg is quite doable.

Fortunately despite these still lackluster numbers for plain old getting around, the truck is hardly our primary vehicle. Most days it travels less than ten miles if it moves at all. (One tank lasts us over a month if we don't take the boat out.);)

phoebeisis 05-12-2006 09:41 PM

Re: F150 4WD Supercrew Automatic gets 19mpg?!?!

snax-the 5.4 is reasonably fuel efficient.My Titan-2wd-got 20.9 mpg(miles/gallons pumped in) over a 3000 mile trip(evacuation), last Aug-Sept. The trip was almost all interstate, and my speed was~65-70. However there was lots of roadwork-45 mph zones-and that really helps your mpg.The bed was fairly heavily loaded. A lot of the trip-maybe 1500 miles was at a bit of altitude(3000 ft+) and that helped the mpg. I got 25 mpg on one 300 mile leg outside Albuquerque-maybe 4000 ft+ I probably had a favorable wind(the wind blows like hell from the Tx panhandle all the way to Flagstaff,AZ..
In my normal city driving-New Orleans- I would get 12-14mpg. I finally sold it, and bought the Prius. I do miss it a little-it was a hotrod-but I don't miss $75 fillups. Luck,Charlie

gonavy 05-13-2006 04:54 AM

Great stuff!

now to help in the city further, when you are stoped for more than 10 seconds, shut 'er down. The fuel used to restart is about te same as 8-10 seconds' worth of idling.

It only takes 1-1.5sec to get back to normal idle,another second to shift back into gear, and the vehicles in front probably jsut startd to roll.

You've proven a point that anyone can get much better mileage in any vehicle if they are willing to adjust their habits or take a more interactive role in the man-machine system they are part of in the vehicle. There's a guy here who gets >30mpg in his 350HP corvette, though that's for other reasons than P&G

snax 05-16-2006 09:13 PM

Ok, if it weren't for the fabulous boating weather we have had lately, I'd be depressed about my overall average dropping into the low 11's after towing to the lake and back. Oh well. Paying to play so to speak.

gonavy 05-17-2006 03:52 AM

Yeah, but your using your truck as it was intended to be used, at least part-time. Big engines to do big stuff. So don't feel bad.

(Now...about tooling around in that boat at ?? gal/hr with no emissions controls... ;) But I'll give you a pass there- see my screename)

snax 05-17-2006 08:10 PM

Well the boat isn't quite that bad. Both catalytic converters and fuel injection earn it the ULEV rating.

As for gallons per hour, no comment. :angel: