Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.
View Poll Results: How often do you fill up your main vehicle (hybrid or not)?
Once a month or less
20.00%
Twice a month
22.50%
Three times a month
22.50%
More often than three times a month
35.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Fill-up frequency

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2005, 05:27 PM
Brains of the Operation
Default Fill-up frequency

As I was perusing the mileage database, I came to the conclusion that I fill up my car much more frequently than anyone else. I think that I don't do much unnecessary driving; I bike anywhere closer than two or three miles. I have a cadre of excuses for the number of miles I've put on my car thus far (>11k in half a year): I teach an anatomy class 29 miles away (so 60 mile round trip), I use my car as my only means of transport (in lieu of flying etc.), and I am typically the driver when going out with friends. What can I say, I love driving.

Am I being wasteful? Not counting driving somewhere like Atlanta or DC, I typically fill up every ten days or so. I noticed that other regular posters to the RHMDB add a tank every two to three weeks. To find out more (and to try out this function), I'm conducting a poll.

Edit: even though I said "not counting" long trips in my post, I DID count that in the poll. Because I take long trips rather frequently, I fill up more than three times per month.

Last edited by Civic Duty; 11-26-2005 at 05:31 PM.
Old 11-26-2005, 06:07 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Fill-up frequency

Let's see, I also fill up around once every 10 days, but I do four days a week of a 95mile round trip to work and back. One day of telecommuting (which my car doesn't leave the garage) and a weekend full of shuttling the family around the county rounds out my week. I'm getting about 520 miles before I fill up each time. Is that excessive? You tell me. I'm so caught up in it, it is difficult to get any perspective.

Old 11-26-2005, 06:52 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

My fill-up frequency is relative to how many miles I drive in a given time period.

So, if I don't drive that much this month, I fill up less often than once a month. But, if I do a lot of driving, then I fill up more than three times a month.

It's hard to pick a vote, since my answer would really be dependent on other factors.

Old 11-26-2005, 06:55 PM
Active Enthusiast

I fill up typically once every four days.

Old 11-26-2005, 07:55 PM

I picked once every 2 weeks, but it is realy every 3 weeks in the summer and 2 weeks in the winter. I get about 600 miles in the sumer and 350 in the winter

Old 11-26-2005, 08:33 PM
Banned

I answered "more than three times a month", but if I waited til' I'm running on empty, it would be less than twice a month. I want to fill up when a good price is found, and know that I have at least 500 miles of range....

Old 11-26-2005, 09:03 PM

Hi Delta_Flyer:
Originally Posted by Delta Flyer
… and know that I have at least 500 miles of range....
___You have way more range then that in an Insight

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

Old 11-26-2005, 09:06 PM
Banned

True xcel, but I'm thinking of a worst case scenerio such as my 93-yr old grandmom has hours to live....

Old 11-26-2005, 09:43 PM

Hi Delta_Flyer:
Originally Posted by Delta Flyer
True xcel, but I'm thinking of a worst case scenario such as my 93-yr old grandmom has hours to live....
___Now that is an interesting conundrum, isn’t it … I am sure you could see me weighing my options for a second or two before putting the pedal to the metal

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

Old 11-27-2005, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by bar10dah
My fill-up frequency is relative to how many miles I drive in a given time period.
Okay, I broke down the frequency per vehicle:

Ford Escape gets filled up 3-4 times a month. So I'll vote more often than three times a month for that one.

Ford Galaxie gets filled up once a... well, I haven't filled it up in nearly two years! Where's the voting option for, "once every two years?" So, that one would be once a month or less.

GMC Sonoma gets filled up once a month or less.

Honda Accord Hybrid gets filled up six times a month. So another one for more often than three times a month.

Honda CBR1100XX gets filled up 1-2 times a month. This one will get twice a month.

What? No option for multiple votes?

Quick Reply: Fill-up frequency

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands