Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Fuel Economy & Emissions (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/fuel-economy-emissions-22/)
-   -   Filled up wifes Dodge Truck...need defib! (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/fuel-economy-emissions-22/filled-up-wifes-dodge-truck-need-defib-6992/)

challenger1 04-23-2006 06:16 PM

Filled up wifes Dodge Truck...need defib!

I dumped $64.00 in my wifes Dakota today. This is to drive just over 300 miles. We only need to fill the truck up every other week, but holy crap was that a big hit. The same $64.00 would take me about 950 miles.

I've had a couple of questions at the pumps when filling my civic. My favorite was "man you got ripped off". I asked the guy what he meant, and he went on to tell me how he read an article that these hybrids are only good for about 30 miles to the gallon. I told him I get in the mid 40's all the time and don't really drive for mileage. He just shook his head and laughed more. I'm sure he still has a funny spot filling his Nissan Xterra.

bar10dah 04-23-2006 08:00 PM

Re: Filled up wifes Dodge Truck...need defib!

When gas was $2.79/gal (a week ago), it cost me $89 to fill up the tank in our E-350 van. Next week? I cringe just thinking about it.

laurie 04-23-2006 08:13 PM

i had to bite the bullet this week, too. i have been driving our truck since i can't drive my honda for a little while yet (see thread on knee surgery). it was over $60. when are people with big vehicles ever get sick of it?

bar10dah 04-23-2006 08:54 PM

I think it's funny to watch news programs on the current fuel hikes. The report that I saw that said gas prices around here rose 11 cents this past week had a reporter at a gas station, asking people what they thought about the rising fuel costs and if the higher prices have made them drive less. Most of the people they were interviewing were driving SUV's. One was a sedan. Of course, all of them said driving was a necessity and that although they were unhappy about the rising costs, they continue to pay because they need to drive around for various reasons. Not one said they were driving less. I also noticed all of the people they talked to were women. I wonder if that was intentional? Also, during the report, they questioned a lady that had a Corvette. The reporter started out by saying she must be conscious of the costs of fuel because she was driving a gas guzzler. That Corvette gets more MPG than ANY of those SUV's they were picturing!

But, they were right. Most people will complain about the costs, but it won't deter them from doing what they normally do. I guess I can't blame them. We're going to see family next weekend. It'll be a 500 mile trip. Even with the cost of fuel currently, we haven't canceled our trip. But, I have been consolidating my errands into bigger trips. So, I'm still making the same stops, I'm just planning them out so that I can hit more stops during each outing. I even try to hit them all sequentially and try not to zig zag all around the city.

IMAhybrid 04-23-2006 09:06 PM

I thought the corvette was supposed to be really good for a sports car.

Pravus Prime 04-23-2006 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by bar10dah
I think it's funny to watch news programs on the current fuel hikes. The report that I saw that said gas prices around here rose 11 cents this past week had a reporter at a gas station, asking people what they thought about the rising fuel costs and if the higher prices have made them drive less.

What's this gas station you mention? Gah-ss Stay-shon? Sounds weird. :P (Someone had to do it.)

I've got to admit, I have this macabe curiosity when it comes to these rising fuel prices. Considering that even with elevated prices, I'm still paying less for two fill ups now than I did for one with the '95 Explorer I had. :omg: And that was nearly 11 months ago! Looks like next week I'll have to get gas, so we'll see if I'm still in such a light mood.

bar10dah 04-23-2006 10:44 PM

The report didn't mention which station.

zadscmc 04-24-2006 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by challenger1
My favorite was "man you got ripped off". I asked the guy what he meant, and he went on to tell me how he read an article that these hybrids are only good for about 30 miles to the gallon. I told him I get in the mid 40's all the time and don't really drive for mileage.

I have gotten this a few times, myself.

When I tell someone my lpmg is 53, they look at me sideways. When I tell them I have gotten over 800 miles on a tank, they plain call me a liar.

Even when I show them my log book, they still don't believe me. I even show them *Every* receipt for gas.

I know what mileage I get, and so does GH.

Bob259 04-24-2006 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by bar10dah
I think it's funny to watch news programs on the current fuel hikes........

What I also like is the fact that they show the gas prices around the world to show us how 'good we have it' and NEVER mention that in most those other countries include, in the price of their gas, taxes for Health care and a living wage, if your out of work, unlike the US where we get squat for our $3.13, soon to be $4.00+, per gallon :angry:

merigayle 04-24-2006 07:52 AM

HAHAAHHHHAAA! My husband has a Dodge Dakota, with a V8 engine, headers, lots of added features for extra horse power-- it gets 8-10 mpg. Needless to say he has been driving my Civic since I got the Insight and his Dakota sits in the garage. He was shocked at how little he fuels the Civic and how cheap it is with a 12 gal tank. :p