Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

Filled up wifes Dodge Truck...need defib!

Old 05-01-2006, 05:13 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Filled up wifes Dodge Truck...need defib!

Originally Posted by AZCivic
My sister's F-250 PowerSmoke was showing 14.5mpg on the trip computer last Christmas, although probably due to a fair amount of idling. Then again, even warmed up, after I reset it and did some driving around Rocky Mountain national park I had a lot of trouble improving on that. I was very disapointed to see that if you never got much over 35mph, it was impossible to best 15mpg or so, even with the diesel.
The low mileage was because of driving around in Rocky Mountain National park at the high altitude. Diesel's and any vehicle lose power at high altitudes so you probably were having to use a lot more fuel to get it to move that heavy truck around the park. Thats a lot better than what my truck would get up there. I would probably get between 6 and 8 MPG.

As a side note, I have may truck up for sale as well. I don't know If I'll sell it but we'll see. I still need a truck so I am not in a hurry but I want to get something with a little better mileage and lower payments. Who knows, I may not sell it at all. I wish they made the engine more efficent because I love the truck other than the FE.

Old 05-03-2006, 04:34 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Filled up wifes Dodge Truck...need defib!

Originally Posted by Adam_HybridCivic
The low mileage was because of driving around in Rocky Mountain National park at the high altitude. Diesel's and any vehicle lose power at high altitudes so you probably were having to use a lot more fuel to get it to move that heavy truck around the park.
I seem to get the opposite effect with my vehicles. The high altitude reduces the power but increases the FE, I guess from less oxygen and but also less wind resistance. Back in October I drove from Boulder the Rocky Mt Nat. and got a decent 26mpg going there, and an awesome 35mpg coming back.

Same thing driving from Boulder to Mesa Verde in my Element, the best tanks were at the highest altitudes.