Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

First Hybrid: 2009 Honda Civic Vs 2009 Toy Prius - US

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 06:24 PM
Enthusiast
Default My First Hybrid: 2009 Honda Civic Vs 2009 Toy Prius - Opinion?

I have been wanting a hybrid for quite some time, but inherited a 2003 Chevy Impala (like new) that gets an amazing 32+ mpg highway -- 70+ mph all over the country on my long trips. This great economy from a big roomy car has put a big delay in my hybrid search -- but now I'm ready.

I'm looking at 2009 Honda Civic hybrids primarily, but I've stumbled across a variety of complaints about 2006-2008 Civic fuel economy inconsistencies, noisy passenger compartments, etc.. I had my heart set on the 45mpg highway in a clean used Civic with 30,000 miles. Should I be looking at the Prius also?

Is the Prius a more reliable and solid highway fuel miser at 70(or +) Mph? How quiet is the Prius at cruising speed?

Any input appreciated.

Last edited by Aaron2; 08-22-2012 at 06:35 PM.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:12 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: First Hybrid: 2009 Honda Civic Vs 2009 Toy Prius - US

No one has any thoughts or opinions??

Have I posted this in the wrong topic?

Old 12-08-2012, 10:25 AM
2nd Hybrid Owner

You have to understand how to drive a Civic Hybrid to get good gas mileage. Most complainer do not follow the rules to get good mileage.

Civic hybrids 2006 - 2011 do not do well as seldom used cars - the IMA battery needs to be recharged at least twice a week for long life - sitting for 14 days can remove some of the life. They are disconnected when shipped from the factory and that does not seem to hurt the life.

I dislike the dash layout of the Prius - so I went Civic Hybrid- the Civic hybrid IMA does almost no help when the engine is cold - so if most of your trips are short trips the Civic is the wrong vehicle unless you are not going to let the engine cool down between trips. It does wonderful on the road. If you like to creep in traffic at red light - you will not get the MPG they state, if you stay put after the engine stops, you can get the MPG Honda states.

I did have a 2009 Civic Hybrid - traded that for a Ridgeline when gas prices got high and bought a used Civic Hybrid cheap when they dropped later on.

Old 12-08-2012, 03:21 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

If you want a car that lasts then look at the Prius. It is probably the most reliable car on the roads and the most fuel efficient as well. By far the greatest sales figures of any hybrid by far. Get a Prius! H

Old 12-08-2012, 08:45 PM
Enthusiast

In 2004 I decided to buy a Hybrid. I also did not like the Prius dash layout or drive so I purchased a Honda Civic Hybrid demo from a dealer in Canberra. The first dealer I went to didn't have one and didn't take my enquiry seriously, so I bought the one I drove at the second dealership. I did country miles and achieved 5.2L/100kM (~45US MPG) regularly. At 160000 kM (100000Mile) I decided to trade it on another Civic Hybrid as I was more than happy with my first. I purchased a series II Civic hybrid (Nov 07 build) which has had a series of ongoing issues that Honda deny. My kids named it "Honda square wheels" after a certain cartoon character due to its intermittent surging. It has been much the same even a bit thirstier than its predecessor. I have moved from the country into the city (kids education) and its fuel consumption has also risen. Now at about 7.0L/100kM. Also the sluggish acceleration not noticable highway cruising but very noticable in the suburbs with roundabouts and fast traffic flow. I have decided to get rid of it but want to buy another hybrid. My experience with Honda has ensured I will never own another and although my wife has owned two Prius (A gen II and a gen III) I'm still uncomfortable driving one. I've checked out the new generation Camry Hybrid and I'm suitably impressed that I've put down a deposit and am anxiously awaiting delivery this month. The top spec known here as HL