Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

Ford Excursion/Hummer Subsidiser

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 01:05 PM
Enthusiast
Angry Ford Excursion/Hummer Subsidiser

Today I was getting gas and I was surrounded by Hummers and Excursions. As the were pumping 20-30 gallons a piece into there gas guzzling urban assault vehicles I just couldn't help but feel like my Prius helps subsidize their continued retardedness. As I was looking around at them filling up I also got an ugly look from a woman filling up her Excursion like I was judging her. Well I guess I deserved that look because I was!!

Old 06-16-2007, 03:02 PM
Hybrid True Believer
Default Re: Ford Excursion/Hummer Subsidiser

There's a diminutive 4'10" woman in my neighborhood who drives a Hummer. She's dropped the F-bomb at me for no other reason than I drive a hybrid. People who drive 6,5000 vehicles are simply finding external compensation for their own internal inadequicies (sp?). Personally, compared to $150/fillup, a psychologist is cheaper.

Old 06-16-2007, 03:51 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

You can't control other people's ideas or perceptions, and trying only cements their beliefs.

I pulled into a gas station in my TCH, next to a large pick-up. When I got out of my car, I realized the owner of this pick-up left it idling while he was filling the tank. Thinking I should go to another station, I decided to stay and fill up. I put 14 gallons in the tank and was on my way before he finished. The whole time, he was watching me like I was the one with the problem. Strange.

To your point about hybrid owners subsizing them, I feel it's the other way around, since much of the gas tax goes to roads. I look at them filling up and want to say thank you for paving my roads.

Old 06-16-2007, 08:50 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AshenGrey
There's a diminutive 4'10" woman in my neighborhood who drives a Hummer. She's dropped the F-bomb at me for no other reason than I drive a hybrid. People who drive 6,5000 vehicles are simply finding external compensation for their own internal inadequicies (sp?). Personally, compared to $150/fillup, a psychologist is cheaper.
I think you nailed it. That 4'10" woman has a small *****! Therefore, she drives a large vehicle and she drops the F-bomb on hybrid drivers. However, she is fortunate that she doesn't have to foot the bill for a psychologist.

Old 06-17-2007, 02:33 AM
Engineering first

When I fill-up, I smile and smile. I don't stare at the others anymore than I would if they'd left their fly unzipped or had a blouse button missing. In fact, I've had curious folks come over to see how my hybrid is doing and then I show them including the inverter in the trunk. But lately, this hasn't been a problem.

I'm conducting an updated, gasoline testing of brand gasolines. This means half of my trips are to fill a 1 gallon spare can. The others add just 3-4 gallons so I'm not there long enough. Since I'm using the brand stations, there aren't a whole lot of customers. The large gas burners are seeking the cheapest and that is where they are clustered.

Bob Wilson

Old 06-17-2007, 07:13 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Freeze
You can't control other people's ideas or perceptions, and trying only cements their beliefs.

I pulled into a gas station in my TCH, next to a large pick-up. When I got out of my car, I realized the owner of this pick-up left it idling while he was filling the tank. Thinking I should go to another station, I decided to stay and fill up. I put 14 gallons in the tank and was on my way before he finished. The whole time, he was watching me like I was the one with the problem. Strange.

To your point about hybrid owners subsizing them, I feel it's the other way around, since much of the gas tax goes to roads. I look at them filling up and want to say thank you for paving my roads.
Driving, I just go about my business these days. I don't really see a lot of blatant hybrid hate coming from gas guzzlers, but don't doubt it at all, given the many online discussions at many sites I've seen. Stuff like I'm entitled to it, it's a free country, citing a need for it (that sometimes seems dubious), hybrid vs land barge banter.... Really temped to save those discussions for a few years from now.

America is more sprawled out than nearly any other nation on Earth - very dependant on cars. Oil reserves are more guesswork than many of us would like to admit. Add to that the amount of people living overleveraged may be at a historical high.

We got to think of the body blow to the economy higher oil prices will bring - more need to remember 1979. It's not if but when. I'd be more comfortable with people looking ahead and giving us a chance to avoid a 1929-style market adjustment.

Old 06-17-2007, 08:03 AM
Active Enthusiast

i probably shouldnt say this (i will get shot at tomorrow) but i have never gotten any bad comments or behavior directed at me for driving my little insight. not while filling up, not while driving. not ever. all the comments are positive, and many folks (young and old) really want to see what makes it tick.

i entered it into a car show last year, and LOTS of people came over to look at it. i had it all opened up, printed out info from insightcentral, etc. lots of fun! it was the only hybrid there, and it was lumped into the honda category, along with the ricers.

a good time was had by all

Old 06-17-2007, 10:05 AM
Active Enthusiast

I've never really had any glares or bad comments about my FEH other than my coworker telling me that hybrids are stupid and we have lots of oil and we should use it. I told him that the wing on the back f his Saleen Focus makes it look look like a shopping cart.

Anywho, I've had lots of people at work ask me about it, and even all but sold ones to another coworker and somebody who was actually on their way to trade in their Jeep Cherokee for a FEH or MMH.

Old 06-17-2007, 02:31 PM
Major Uranium Miner

I have never had anything but positive comments from those who notice that I own a hybrid. I think that those who may be nasty probably are to everyone - hybrid owners or not.

The earth's resources may or may not be limited but the one thing we surely have in unending supply is stupid people.

Old 06-17-2007, 02:50 PM
Vegetarian

I've never gotten any comments on my HCH, ever. I guess it's because people don't know it's a hybrid. I was kind of disappointed actually. Maybe things will change once I start driving my Insight regularly.

Quick Reply: Ford Excursion/Hummer Subsidiser

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands