Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

Ford Excursion/Hummer Subsidiser

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 03:43 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Ford Excursion/Hummer Subsidiser

I've gotten a few inquiries from people who were just curious. They would just ask me how I liked it and what kind of fuel economy I was getting. I have never received any kind of negative responses.

Old 06-17-2007, 07:13 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Yes, that "Do you think you're better than me look." When in reality it is them thinking they're worse than us, which is why they need that huge vehicle. I'm normal, they're the ones with low self esteems?

Old 06-23-2007, 09:09 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Freeze
To your point about hybrid owners subsizing them, I feel it's the other way around, since much of the gas tax goes to roads. I look at them filling up and want to say thank you for paving my roads.

I never thought of the point you make about their gas taxes paving the road for me...hopefully the "angry" gas guzzlers don't come to this same realization.

I've personally never felt the hate...only stares or the breeze as they blow past me on the highway.

55 mph is the new 65 for me. Best tank 56 mpg!!!

Old 06-23-2007, 10:20 AM
Engineering first

If we're going for equity, the greatest wear on roads comes from the vehicle weight. Just incorporate a scales at each pumping station and adjust the road tax based upon weight. This would also encourage improvements in material science across all makes and models.

Bob Wilson

Old 06-24-2007, 11:50 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by IMAhybrid
I've never gotten any comments on my HCH, ever. I guess it's because people don't know it's a hybrid. I was kind of disappointed actually. Maybe things will change once I start driving my Insight regularly.
My coworkers noticed my TCH was a hybrid, but that is only because they looked at it since it was a new car. It was just the other day that someone noticed I was driving a hybrid. I was at a fast food drive through window. The clerk was giving me change and noticed the hybrid emblem on the side (I haven't debadged my car). He asked if it was a hybrid, and I told him it was. He said it didn't look like the "funny, egg shaped" hybrids he had seen before. I think that the people who do not know about hybrids have a lot of misconceptions. With time, and more hybrid sales, people will start to realize the value in them and other FE technologies.

Jason

Old 06-28-2007, 12:00 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

About 50% of people I meet have a very positive response and are curious about my vehicle. The other 50% believe that hybrids don't really do much better than traditional cars, and think I was foolish to spend extra $ on the hybrid version of the Escape. They are quiet after I tell them I visit a gas station once a month. ( sometimes every 600 miles from less than 15 gallons )
-John

Old 06-29-2007, 06:15 AM
Active Enthusiast

The only direct commentary I've ever had on my HCH was a woman parked behind me waiting for the gas pump in an SUV. However, she wasn't mean or anything she just said it was a pretty car and asked if I liked the "hybrid" (she couldn't pronounce the word correctly at all).

I've had one person in my building at work ask if I drive "the white Honda Hybrid parked in the lot." We had a short conversation about it, told him my mileage (unfortunately, I drive so many miles that I'm still filling up every few days, but putting less fuel on each tank than I used to in my old vehicle), he brought up some kind of new battery they're developing to get a range of 1000miles+/- in all-electric vehicles ( I haven't been keeping up with those developments, so not sure what he was referring to ).

Then again, I work with a bunch of engineers, and I've probably seen about four or five other hybrids (one other HCH at the cafeteria parking lot, someone on one of my project teams has an Insight, and someone else in my building has a TCH which I purposely park next to from time to time, ), so I suppose they may be predisposed to liking them.

Old 06-29-2007, 09:07 AM
Banned

Related Topic: Riots/Gas Station burnings have been reported since Iran started to ration gas with only two hours notice. Drivers allowed only 3 liters (about 0.75 gallons) daily.

What would the US be like if this happened as a result of hurricanes taking out some refineries?

Old 06-29-2007, 10:35 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Probably the same reaction.

Old 06-29-2007, 11:32 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Delta Flyer
Related Topic: Riots/Gas Station burnings have been reported since Iran started to ration gas with only two hours notice. Drivers allowed only 3 liters (about 0.75 gallons) daily.

What would the US be like if this happened as a result of hurricanes taking out some refineries?
Let's see here...15 mpg x .75 gallons=11.25 miles=5.6 miles one direction and then back. Some people may have some problems!

Quick Reply: Ford Excursion/Hummer Subsidiser

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands